Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Digital aerial or sky (with multiroom
  • heresjonny
    Free Member

Okay so I get a really bad signal on my TV, tried a booster, no better, no freeview reception, outside aeriel on chimney and internal aerial does not improve any signal.
    Option one Sky + multi room £32 a month (plus £60 fitting)
    Option two New aerial for both televisions

I do already have sky at £21.50 a month, but SO wants tele to work in the bedroom,

Bedroom TV does have freeview fitted so really is new aerial my best option, although if I go for Multiroom, I would get a free Sky+ HD box, which would replace my ageing 6 year old sky+ box on the main TV, and put the older one up stairs.

I guess I need some quotes on a new aerial.

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

Option 3: Freesat (/Freesat+ and more lnb(s) in the dish for the extra room). Note – not sky’s freesat but “bbc” freesat.

Needs a sky type dish (you probably have this already) and a new freesat box / boxes. Cost maybe £300 ish one off but no subscriptions ever.

At a guess from what you say you would need to replace the lnb in your existing dish, run an extra cable from that to your main tv (for the plus bit), run another cable to your extra room.

Of course you would loose those sky channels.

May sound complicated – but really easy in reality. Any more Q’s then just ask

#Edit – I just made that sound complicated. If you replace the doofer on the stick sticking out of your existing dish and run another/more cables from the doofer to the rooms you want to watch tv in then you can do this for a one off payment (for the freesat boxes) with no subs. You can also get the HD/record/pause/rewind stuff with no subs – if you buy the right boxes. But you dont get the Sky1,2,Sports.. channels.

shaxi
    Free Member

You can also get the HD/record/pause/rewind stuff with no subs – if you buy the right boxes. But you dont get the Sky1,2,Sports.. channels.

that will not be a good choice ! 🙂

jota180
    Free Member

Option two New aerial for both televisions

No because of what you said earlier
    There’s a fair chance you’ll throw good money after bad, forget about it now before you start rocking in the corner.

Okay so I get a really bad signal on my TV, tried a booster, no better, no freeview reception, outside aeriel on chimney and internal aerial does not improve any signal.

Do the sums on Freesat Vs Sky multiroom – a decent Freesat system fitted should be about £200 utilising the existing dish, a budget one, less than £100
    So somewhere between a year and 2 years before you’re into the black on the Freesat
    TBH – I’d just get Sky to sort it at current prices

Gunz
    Free Member

I had the same problem (we live in a natural hollow and the reception for about a mile around is bad) and a satelite dish with Freesat sorted it. The Freesat box cost about £30.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Do you want to be able to watch different channels at the same time?

If not, simply wire up an RF cable from the Sky box and set up the television as a second set on the unit.

We did that for a set in the kitchen and it works a treat.

TheBrick
    Free Member

Was the boost placed at the head or by the t.v? If it is by the t.v you are just amplifying the noise too. Quite possibly screwing the noise to signal ratio right up due to the cut-off in the receiver.

Is the cable any good?

What’s the poison of the aerial bracket?

Is the aerial positioned using a signal meter?

If you go for the aerial you only need one, not one per T.V. as long as you have an appropriately positioned booster.

oliverd1981
    Free Member

If you have a sky contract you should really get an HD box – shouldn’t cost much to upgrade. (and you should be able to keep your Sky + box too) I wouldn’t bother with multiroom from sky (bad installs, expensive, needs phone cables) and either just run an “aerial” lead from the sky box to the second TV and fit a “magic eye” (all channels, lowish quality)

Or have a independent sky installer run a pair of extra cables to the vicinity of the second TV and use your old sky+ box there with a £20 Freesat card. Your existing dish should have enough connections for this. but they’ll advise you. (Free channels only – decent quality).

heresjonny
    Free Member

The brick
    The aerial looks interesting, and the cables conecting to the aerial are coroded at the point of contact. So think it all really needs replacing and directing correctly, just don’t want to become another Rod Hull…..
    I quite like the idea of getting the extra cables and running freesat through my olde sky+ box, and getting a HD box for down stairs, I do watch Sky 1, 2 quite a bit and the kids have their package.
    The SO just wants to watch tele in bed occasionally, which she cant do at the moment.
    Think I will ring independant sky installer and see if oliverd1981 option will work.
    Thanks STW

ChrisA
    Free Member

Get a magic eye for the existing sky box and just run a co-axiel cable from the existing box to the magic eye.

We should have done this when we rewired so decided it was easier to go multiroom instead. It’s only an additional £10 a month and install is usually free

jota180
    Free Member

Was the boost placed at the head or by the t.v? If it is by the t.v you are just amplifying the noise too.

You’ll be amplifying the noise wherever you put it, you’ll also be introducing more noise – putting it in the loft area is usually the best option for distribution amps

Have you looked around at your neighbours aerials?
    Have they got all sorts of odd shaped ones on long poles?
    That would usually be a reasonable sign that you’re in a poor signal
    area

As I said earlier though, I’d forget the Freeview option on the grounds that if it doesn’t work, you won’t be able to recoup any of the outlay, whereas you know that you have line of sight for a satellite system

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Digital aerial or sky (with multiroom’ is closed to new replies.