Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Destroying external bottom brackets on On One 456 Ti
  • nuttysquirrel
    Free Member

I bought a sexy SKF external bottom bracket for my XT chainset two months ago. It’s now making creaking noises so I’m not impressed.

One thing that occurred to me was that when I had the original XT put in by my LBS last year, they couldn’t face the frame because the Ti blunted their facing tool.

Am I destroying BBs because of this and if so, what are my options?

1. Find someone with the tools to face a Ti bottom bracket shell.
    2. Moan my face off about this SKF BB, as it hasn’t lasted longer than a standard Superstar (I had one of those previously)
    3. Go backwards (which looks like forwards to me) and buy a UN71 (or whatever you can get nowadays) and appropriate chainset from yesteryear (and if so, what and from where?!).

Thanks in advance for any help you can give.

bristolbiker
    Free Member
    jim
    Free Member

My SKF BB from Superstar didn’t last long either, I don’t think they’re well enough sealed for the seemingly rather minimal amount of grease they contain.

I’ve since got a Across stainless which seems to be holding up much better.

nuttysquirrel
    Free Member

Cool, thanks. There are some real negative comments amongst them (and a significant cost too). However, going through BBs every two months ain’t exactly cheap.

Maybe I should nick the ’95 XTR chainset and BB from my old Kona! But then I’d need to change the rings to 22/32/44. AAAARRRRRRRRRGGGGGHHHHH

UpQuickDownSlow

I wouldn’t expect the Ti shell on a 456 to need facing. Should be quite precisely made, and it hasn’t been painted. Is there a way to check alignment without actually facing it?

jim
    Free Member

There are some real negative comments amongst them (and a significant cost too). However, going through BBs every two months ain’t exactly cheap.

Indeed. You can always pop the seals off, flush the accumulated crap out and add a decent amount of grease to keep them going for a while longer. Or of course take your chances with getting a refund.

nuttysquirrel
    Free Member

I’ll try that Jim (along with someone who knows what they’re doing!).

taxi25
    Free Member

You wont find a shop that will be prepared to face a ti b/b.Sometimes though creaking on ti frames can come from the threads on the b/b itself,the bearings night be ok.Try wrapping that thin white plumbers tape around your b/b cups and refit with plenty of grease.

nuttysquirrel
    Free Member

Cool, thanks taxi. Job for this evening maybe…

Clink

I’ve got bb creaking noises on my O-O ti 29er; started on last lap of Bike Fest. I’m going to strip it this evening but intial impression is that the bb is fine.

jond
    Free Member

These are self-aligning, but they ain’t cheap 😮

http://www.velotechservices.co.uk/acatalog/MTB-XC_SABB.html

CountZero

Perhaps that’s why my RF ISIS Sig BB has lasted, because it has no outboard bearing cups to have to rely on a perfectly faced BB shell. I’m also fairly sure that one poster above never obtained an SKF BB from Superstar, as they’re distributed by Pace, and they’re ISIS, not external bearing, which the Superstar ones are. I am open to being corrected on that, tho’.

jim
    Free Member

I’m also fairly sure that one poster above never obtained an SKF BB from Superstar, as they’re distributed by Pace, and they’re ISIS, not external bearing

http://superstar.tibolts.co.uk/product_info.php?cPath=23&products_id=188

I am open to being corrected on that, tho’.

Done 😉

Stoner
    Free Member

jond – how do thos eself aligning units work then?

gamo
    Free Member

When i bought my ti456 i asked about facing and was told i didn’t need done
    (already been done), i also get creaky bb but always fine after a strip,clean
    and refit.Last time i did this i used shimano assembly paste rather than grease
    and it seems to be lasting longer!

Clink

I’ve just stripped and re-greased my bb (hope). Seems fine now, although only been out for short spin.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Destroying external bottom brackets on On One 456 Ti’ is closed to new replies.