Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Derbyshire County Council C2W scheme!
  • Tracker1972
    Free Member

Is coming! 🙂 Just not that soon. 🙁 Got bored of waiting since last May and emailed them again and apparently it has been decided it will be adopted, they are in the process of deciding/choosing who will administer the scheme?
    Anyway, to quote "it won't be next week, but it is coming".
    Also stumbled across some council meeting minutes from last September saying it would look into adopting it so who knows, maybe a new bike for the summer to commute? But if you are a DCC employee it is better than a flat "no, we don't do it".

br
    Free Member

And how much of our money have they spent so far 'considering' it!

Tracker1972
    Free Member

Good point b r, I will contact them immediately and suggest the money saving measure of just buying me, and a few others who have hassled them, a bike to keep us quiet 🙂 Have you registered your interest with them so they will let you know once there is one?
    Oh, and bump for anyone at work this morning.

racing_ralph
    Free Member

get in!

br
    Free Member

Not for me mate, I've my own Ltd company, so it buys the bikes – perfectly legal and utilising the legislation changes brought in to enable C2W.

Tracker1972
    Free Member

Final bump for the evening and my work is done ("let as many people as you can" she said).
    Just going to have to be patient and get my perfect bike choice sorted, and then find out we can only get them through Halfords or something…

tthew

Halfords is an OK provider, they'll get brands they don't stock/deal with at no extra cost.

markenduro
    Free Member

Not very joined up really is it given that Derby is supposed to be a cycling demonstration town. All I have seen is a few badly thought out cycle lane lines painted on roads and stupid traffic calming which actually makes it worse for cyclists as the road is narrower. I'd like to see a bit more spent on education for drivers not to turn left whilst alongside cyclists that they are in the middle of overtakling.

Tracker1972
    Free Member

tthew- that's good news, thought I had heard it was difficult to get "other" brands through them. Have actually never had much bother with Halfords and quite like my Carrera Fury that got me into mountain biking.

markenduro- no it isn't is it. I was once again annoyed at all the council stuff promoting cycling, and promoting cycling to work that prompted me to get in touch again. At least something is happening…

Brother_Will
    Free Member

While IKEA bastion of green thinking has been considering it for a full 2 years now!!!!!!

huskyboy64
    Free Member

I managed to get my georgeous Spicy 916 frame through C2W. Make friends with your local shop and it's amazing what you can get!!!

druidh
    Free Member

Didn't Ikea give their staff folding bikes – only to find them turning up on ebay?

Brother_Will
    Free Member

Yep we get a Christmas present every year, the bikes were very heavy Raleighs that barely folded and a far too compact cockpit, i felt like i was riding a clown bike mine went on ebay. But to put it into context I am currently listening to the DAB radio i was given 2 years ago and hanging in my jacket is a polaris waterproof i bought with a £50 voucher to go outdoors we got last year.

rumbledethumps
    Free Member

Mark Enduro – Derby City Council is separate based in the city whereas the County Council is run at Matlock some 20 miles away. So I guess different things going on. The City has great cycle links.

Does Derby City Council participate in the cycle to work scheme?

Onzadog
    Free Member

Don't hold your breath, the LA I work for are reconsidering their position due to a current review of the scheme by HMRC

wwaswas

I think OnzaDog has a point – there's so many people who buy 'top end' bikes they have no intention of taking to work and taxpayers are, effectively, giving them free money to do it.

If I was HMRC/the government and aware of people abusing a system like this to get goods cheap and not use them for the purpose intended I'd be a bit pee'd off.

It's supposed to be to get people out of their cars all that happens is they bung the bike in the car drive to a trail centre at the weekends.

Richie_B

If I was HMRC/the government and aware of people abusing a system like this to get goods cheap and not use them for the purpose intended I'd be a bit pee'd off.

What are you suggesting spending more money employing people to police the system? Getting people out on bikes to get a bit fitter, regardless of when they ride them, has to save money for the NHS.

With DCC I wouldn't hold your breath, didn't they have to abandon their emergency planning bunker because it kept on flooding?

rootes1

bromptons are a good choice for c2w bikes

father
    Free Member

Think yourselves lucky that your employers are still considering the scheme. The company I work for has decided not to proceed with C2W for "Health and Safety" reasons.

Tracker1972
    Free Member

If you want a Brompton becoming a Sustrans ranger is a very good way of getting a hefty discount I seem to remember.

slugwash
    Free Member

Don't hold your breath, the LA I work for are reconsidering their position due to a current review of the scheme by HMRC

Same here. Our employer says that they're coming up with a 'solution' in late March and have (from last December) suspended the C2W for new applications. I did think that maybe they'd actually stopped it until the end of the current financial year to save a bit of money in terms of admin, etc because I hadn't, until now, heard of any other public sector employers suspending the scheme for the reason they gave.

rootes1

it took 4 years to get our scheme in place….

Tracker1972
    Free Member

Update! After a couple of follow up emails (chasing councillors who mentioned it in previous council meetings) the definitive answer is…

We have a draft Cabinet report for 1 June 2010 that would report on progress, confirm agreement in principle and authorise us to select and appoint a scheme provider.

Beyond that, our aim would be to appoint a scheme provider over the Summer with a view to launching the scheme in the early Autumn. The main issue in respect to this timescale is the usual legal procedures.

so depending on the usual legal procedures, early Autumn.

racing_ralph
    Free Member

any further news?

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Derbyshire County Council C2W scheme!’ is closed to new replies.