Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Degree/GPA system/Percentage.
  • tails
    Free Member

I’m hoping to teach in South Korea, it is a somewhat unregulated industry and I thought I had found a recruiter I liked.

They want to know my percentage, on a chart I found online it read 77% on another chart 67%. In the UK I got a 2:2 which is not 70%, my transcripts say 58%. My recruiter then says (now we are half way through the process) that the minimum is 62.5%.

What on earth is 2:2 on the US grading system, as I will need to find another recruiter quickly if these guys muck me about.

Thanks and apologies for the rant!

CaptJon
    Free Member

Wikipedia says 2:2 = 3.0

linky

tails
    Free Member

Thanks CaptJon I need to know my percentage.

konabunny
    Free Member

There are companies that produce reports on this kind of stuff. It’s more of an art than a science imvho… http://www.wes.org/

Markie
    Free Member

Why is the transcript not correct? 58% for a Desmond sounds about right?

konabunny
    Free Member

The problem is that a US percentage isn’t really equivalent to a UK percentage. Someone that consistently gets 65% is probably in the middle but would be a deadbeat in the US. Conversely, people can graduate with a 4.0 GPA but nobody ever gets 100% for all units in the UK. It’s comparing apples with oranges, regardless of the quality of the unis.

CaptJon
    Free Member

konabunny – Member
    The problem is that a US percentage isn’t really equivalent to a UK percentage. Someone that consistently gets 65% is probably in the middle but would be a deadbeat in the US. Conversely, people can graduate with a 4.0 GPA but nobody ever gets 100% for all units in the UK. It’s comparing apples with oranges, regardless of the quality of the unis.

That sounds about right. Although UK unis mark out of 100 is it rare to get marks in the 80s, and even rarer to get something in the 90s (in the social sciences/humanities at least). Similarly, getting below 25 is pretty difficult. We essentially mark from 25-80, and it’s a normal distribution most of the time, even with criteria marking schemes.

Markie
    Free Member

The table from the Wikipedia link given seems to tie in with what CaptJon and konabunny say, and also with the transcript?

British Class : American GPA : Secured Marks Level
    First : 4.00 : 70+
    Upper Second : 3.33-3.67 : 60-69
    Lower Second : 3.00 : 50-59
    Third : 2.30 : 40-49
    Ordinary Pass : 2.00 : 35-40

Edit: argh, formatting!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Degree/GPA system/Percentage.’ is closed to new replies.