Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Decent LBS in Durham/Newcastle
  • Shackleton

I have lived in Newcastle and worked in Durham for 9 months. So far I have yet to find a decent bike shop. Edinburgh Bike Co-op has proved the best to date for off the shelf items and clothing but are there others, especially with knowlege of parts and the like?

Cheers,

P

uplink
    Free Member

Only used them a couple of times but M Steel in Gosforth were pretty good

Shackleton

I find them awful! Maybe once you get them to notice you things improve but 4 trips without so much as a helpful word from any of the staff (if you can find one) even after approaching them, long queues at the till and some less than polite conversations between staff and other customers has left me rather opposed to the idea of giving them any of my money.

So not Steels!

RudiBoy
    Free Member

Bike place in cowgate. next to the morisons near the central motorway.

Gordon in there is a top bloke (shaved head glasses) knows his stuff about bikes. Frequents this forum as well I think

steels – I have heared mixed reports about the place (never been so wont pass comment)
    edinbourgh – too expensive and often very busy (standing around for a long time)
    Dentons on scotswood road has recently closed. more road bikes and BMX orientated though

pinches
    Free Member

The Bike Place in Cowgate. Head up the A167 as if you're going to the A69, then at the big roundabout at the end of A167 turn right, the bike place is about 100yrds down there on the left, to park outside it you turn left just after aldi and go round the back

Zulu-Eleven
    Free Member

MTS?

Both they and Steels have seemed like great lads every time I've been there!

RudiBoy
    Free Member

what pinches said ^^

colnagokid

Infinity Cycles- Framelgate Moor (Durham)

toons
    Free Member

The Bike Place.

Steels is bloody awful.

Drac

Steeles was good at one time not been for years, Bike Place was always good but again not been for years and last time I was at Edinburgh Co-op it was still Hardistys.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Head out to Corbridge to Activ Cycles for friendly people and quick service. Or The Bike Shop in Hexham for an Aladdin's cave of bling.

I hear Steels these days is good for Specialized. and that's it.

tinribz
    Free Member

Iron Horse Darlo is not far, they've a Ragley in stock too. Friendly advice.

Shackleton

Cheers for the info. I'm not sure Hexham/Corbridge qualify as "L" BS but agree that both have been helpful in the past!

warton
    Free Member

The Bike place, great lads, they actually know how to fix bikes, and in my experience fix things first time, cheaply and well. Steeles is OK for gels and inner tubes, more of a roadie shop though. Edinburgh Bike is expensive and half the staff no nothing about bikes, although there are a couple of nice lads in there.

A lot of my mates out by hexham swear by Bike scene, and they've probably got the best range of bikes

Davy
    Free Member

MTS, Gilesgate, (Durham) Jim's only interested in you if you want to spend lots of money.

Evans, Gateshead, I wouldn't touch 'em with yours.

Steels, Gosforth, Good shop if you get to know them, but can be a bit snooty if you don't.

Bike Place, CowGate, Not been to the new place, but they were always friendly and helpful before they moved. Never really stocked much though…

Denton's, Scotswood road, Sad to hear they've closed down, but not surprised. Used to be a good shop before they moved. Last time I was in they had 3 bikes on display, and only one was new!

Low Fell Cycles, Gateshead, great if you want to be told "you don't want to buy that", then get ripped off. Otherwise, not so great.

Edinburgh, Byker, Stock lots of stuff, but you've got to choose the right member of staff if you want a knowledgable answer, and they're not cheap.

Cestria Cycles, Chester-le-st, very friendly, and stock way more than you'd think for a tiny shop. More of a roadie shop though.

Nothing in Sunderland worth bothering with.

If you're prepared to travel, Bike Scene in Guisborough is probably the best MTB shop in the region.

If you only need a repair, give me a shout… 🙂

dickydutch

A distinct lack of decent LBS in Newcastle I'd say although I've not had bad experiences with Steels. Although admittedly I only use them for gels as previously said. I did get my girlfriends road bike from there which was ordered from the States – their service then was excellent!
    Edinburgh is complete crap. I think they make the majority of their money from bike to work stuff.

STATO
    Free Member

Steel's staff are nice enough but the service can be a bit patchy. My mate bought a bike there and we mocked him as they had left the plastic spoke protector on behind the cassette, it was a good job they had though as the gears were not set up at all and the chain went in the spokes first ride out! Other times ive tried to buy things (last time it was a common mavic rim) only to be told they dont have that one sorry… no offer of another colour, model, make, or even that they could order one for me. They do need to buck their act up a bit IMO.

white101

Low Fell Cycles, Gateshead, great if you want to be told "you don't want to buy that", then get ripped off. Otherwise, not so great.

LOL, I live just a few hundred yard from this place, I find the guy is a pain in the arse. Agree with Davy.

I've only been into Bike Scene Guisborough a couple of times but they seem to be on the ball much more than most.
    I here good things about Cestria in Chester le Street.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Decent LBS in Durham/Newcastle’ is closed to new replies.