Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Day out in Edinburgh with young kids…
  • MoreCashThanDash

MrsSwadey has rather set her heart on a day trip to Edinburgh when we are up in Northumberland at Easter. We’ll have an easily tired and occassionally sulky 5 year old and an easily fed up with riding in a buggy and too small to walk far 2 year old.

What can all you locals suggest for things to do and the best way to get into the city – is there a park and ride?

My concern is that by the time we reach the entrance to the castle the kids will be too knacked to care about looking round it, Britannia may be a bit dull for them, so I’m hoping for some reassurance or some kid friendly alternatives.

Thanks in advance

simonralli2
    Free Member

Well I lived there from 4 years old to 8 years old and always used to love

The Botanical gardens
    Princess Street gardens play park
    Jenners (big toy store)
    The museum with the massive whale skelton and loads of contraptions to play with
    Goin up Arthur’s Seat
    Going up the staircase in Scott’s Monument
    Playing in the massive Commonwealth Swimmingpool
    Going over the Forth railway bridge and then walking back over the suspension bridge

Am sure some locals though will have more up to date info

WTF
    Free Member

The zoo is a good day out with kids.
    And if they dont behave they will keep them in overnight.

druidh
    Free Member

Dynamic Earth is very child friendly and the 5 year-old will love it.

Camera Obscura is just down from the castle and has some great “hands-on” stuff.

Waverley Station would be your best bet – regular trains up the East Coast line and it’s a train trip for the weans too. You can drive to Newcraighall (just of the A1) and jump on a train at the Park & Ride. Edinburgh’s not too bad to drive in to though, just avoid the morning rush hour.

simonralli2
    Free Member

Oh yeah i forgot about the zoo – I used to love the zoo too.

sometimerider
    Free Member

The zoo is great. My 3 and 1 year olds both love it and there’s plenty for five year olds as well. The Botanical gardens are also good fun and free (apart from the greenhouses) but the cafe tends to be quite crowded.

The museum is also great for kids, especially if it’s raining.

TBH the castle is not that friendly to kids. Last time I went it struck me as a fairly poorly presented museum, and the kids I was with (cousins) got bored pretty quickly. Also there’s a lot of hilly walking once you’re inside the castle.

Princes Street gardens are also not that accessible just now. The only access is at either end because of the tram works, which also makes driving in the city an awful experience. Use the park and rides, which are plentiful.

MoreCashThanDash

Thanks for this – my suspicions about the castle are confirmed

skinnysteel
    Free Member

My 7 year old loves the Chamber Street Museum – great for a wet afternoon.
    2nd Botanic Garden on a sunny day.
    Jenners toy dept is not what it used to be I’m afraid, and unles you’re over the road in the gardens Princes Street is best avoided.
    Coming from the south we tended to park to the south of Bruntsfield Links and get a bus in/out – buses are all £1 flat fare. The residents only parking may have been extended recently tho’.

jojoA1
    Free Member

Dynamic Earth and Chambers Street Museum would be my votes. They are dead certs for enjoyment for my two and they’ve been to both loads of times.

GW
    Free Member

if it’s wet, mollys (softplay) down at ocean terminal has enough to fill a couple of hours at their ages. the shops there are pretty typically mediocre shopping centre brands, but there are a few bars, cafe’s etc, an indoor BMX/skatepark, cinema and some big royal yacht docked outside you can pay to look inside. 😉

there’s also the museum of childhood on the high street

Offroading
    Free Member

Visit to the Zoo followed up with a visit to Jenners toy department. I used to love that place, it’s huge well was it’s been years since ive been of course…

druidh
    Free Member

Chambers Street is in the middle of a refurbishment at the moment. Probably still worth a visit though.

druidh
    Free Member

Offroading – Member

Visit to the Zoo followed up with a visit to Jenners toy department. I used to love that place, it’s huge well was it’s been years since ive been of course…

Mibbe it just seemed bigger when you were lickle?

Offroading
    Free Member

True last time i was there i was a kid so in relation to my ickle size it was big.

Might be tiny now im not sure.

I remember the big life size lego men they had!

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

The tourist open top buses are good – expensive but you can get on and off them anywhere around the route and they have a commentary of the interesting things on route – well recommended. You get them from Waverley bridge by the station

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Day out in Edinburgh with young kids…’ is closed to new replies.