Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • dating google maps sat pics
  • handyman
    Free Member

does anyone know if you can find out when a sat pic on google maps was taken, as i am checking out fishing spots and if i know the date i can work out if the lilies and weed are as grown as the pic shows thanks

maccruiskeen

round my neck of the woods they are pretty old – 10 to 15 years old at least – rendering them pretty useless for checking out routes round here as theres a lot of open cast and whole swathes of landscape on google earth has either disappeared or been reinstated since the sat images were taken.

Geograph can sometimes be a more useful tool although its pretty hit and miss- it aims to get user submitted photos of each grid square on the map

mooose
    Free Member

Google Earth shows you the date of the aerial photography. Make sure the status bar is enabled (>view>status bar), then look in the bottom left corner for ‘imagery date’.

If you click on the date you can now switch between different date maps if available which can be bit of fun.

CountZero

They do get updated from time to time. The views of Chippenham were around ten years old, the Millenium bridges for the Sustrans route hadn’t been built, and I could see a car that I’d once owned out front, and my folks old caravan.
    Currently I think it’s about six years out, I can see my Puma out front, and I got rid of that around ’05/6.

CountZero

Yup, just had a shufti at Google Earth, and my silver Puma is still sitting out the front of the house:

Wish it still was, I loved that car. (sniffle)

molgrips
    Free Member

Thanks for showing us where your house is CZ 🙂

cxi
    Free Member

If it helps…

On Googles maps on the PC, there’s a clock icon on the toolbar. This let “move” between the various dates of imagery available.

GrahamS

Thanks for showing us where your house is CZ

*Launch*

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘dating google maps sat pics’ is closed to new replies.