Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Dartmoor today – Bovey Tracey – Lustleigh Cleave loop pics + questionable video
  • simonralli2
    Free Member

Well folks, I was going to ride Princetown to that reservoir today but when I set off there was fog and low cloud, so not wanting to get myself lost decided the safer option would be to do the Bovey Tracey loop.

The first climbing section seemed to take me forever and my legs were like jelly. I nearly decided to go to Hound Tor then roll back down the roads.

Made it up to near Haytor, then I ended up doing the really technical descent as i couldn't find the easy one which meant I lost the rewards of all that effort getting me up in the first place.

Anyway, after being inspired by Si, I decided to try and get some air at the bottom of the descent. Here is the questionable video. Did I finally get 2 wheels off the ground do you think?

Anyway, pushed on to Hound Tor where I got myself a bit lost and failed to do that descent – I seemed to traverse around.

Nothing too much to add after that. Went into Manaton and that fabulously fast bridleway. I did that really steep one down to the bridge, and was really annoyed as I managed to ride a bit more but still came off where the bridleway does that steep and twisty turn just before you cross the river.

But yeah, a knackering ride, and hope to do Princetown next week before I leave. maybe it was good that i did this loop as it was still bone dry!

A few more pics here but again I was too busy having fun on the fast bits to take pics.

IMG_7954

eviljoe
    Free Member

Looks good- you were following my tyre tracks from yesterday- Houndtor looked like something out of LOTR with all that burning they were doing 🙂

Shinythings
    Free Member

Good man, it's great loop isn't it 🙂

simonralli2
    Free Member

Eviljoe – actually I did see quite a few bike tracks and maybe they were quite literally yours. I still chose some really bad lines coming down off Hayne Down mind.

Jim – hope you are at least a bit more comfortable. I decided to totally pad up with elbow pads too! yeah – I love the bridleway bits after Manaton by darn my legs were really tired!

bagpuss
    Free Member

If you want to ride the Princetown area next Weds give me a shout. Mail in profile.

simonralli2
    Free Member

Bagpus – yeah – that would be brilliant as even if the weather wasnt amazing I wouldn't have to stress about getting myself lost.

I am not the fastest of riders and the gang suggested I did not do widowmaker as that would probably be a bit beyond me, so they suggested going down and round to the reservoir instead on what was meant to be a long downhill section.

Will email you prob Monday once I know what my plans are.

Si

crispybacon
    Free Member

Simon I think the route they were on about is this.

Start from the High Moorland visitors car park at Princetown. Go back to the mini roundabout & straight across between the two pubs. The trail takes you uphill through 2 x gates & onto the moor along a very nice & well defined bridleway. Go past South Hessary Tor on your left & just follow the trail which has a number of granite water bars to roll/crash/jump over.

I would suggest for a first time on the route that you stick to the trail & don't turn off. After a few miles you will eventually go down a long rocky section past the scout hut at Ditsworthy on your left & then onto a tarmac road. At the end of the road turn right cross the cattle grid & down the hill to Sheepstor village. Go through the village do not turn off, this will lead you to Burrator reservoir dam.

At the end of the dam turn right & go on for about 200m, take a left turn off the road which is a tight switchback & go up the hill. Follow the trail which has another 180 degree right hand switchback which takes you on to the old Yelverton to Princetown railway line. Keep on the trail through the woods & the various gates until you get to the end where there is a stile to get your bike over. Cross over the B3212 – be careful crossing the road the cars travel quite fast along there – anyway continue on the singletrack trail through another series of gates. This leads onto another part of the disused railway line & will eventually take you back to the car park at Princetown.

The total distance is about 14 miles but the ride back up the old disused railway line about 4 miles is a gradual gradient & nothing too steep. Can I recommend that you buy the OS map OL28 which covers Dartmoor, that way if you get lost you should be able to navigate your way to safety.

You can of course ride this route in the reverse direction but I'd suggest you go don't this time out.

Have a nice ride.

slugwash
    Free Member

the gang suggested I did not do widowmaker as that would probably be a bit beyond me

Not true! The gang actually suggested that you didn't do the Widowmaker until we were lining the route with our cameras & camcorders 😉

eviljoe
    Free Member

Bah, wish Wednesday wasn't the ONE day of the week I can't do, or I'd join you…

Fridays on the other hand, are ideal 🙂

jam-bo

the 'widowmaker'!!!!!

the names you chaps give things do make me chuckle.

slugwash
    Free Member

the 'widowmaker'!!!!!

the names you chaps give things do make me chuckle.

Indeed, some of these Dartmoor names are deceiving. The Widowmaker should probably be more accurately called 'The Gravel Drive'

And, as shinythings discovered on Sunday, the innocently named 'Hound Tor Car Park' is actually the most treacherous terrain on the whole of the Moor 😉

Still glad that his bike missed my car as it boomeranged across the tarmac though.

jam-bo

didnt see a body up there did you….

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/devon/8573438.stm

simonralli2
    Free Member

Crispy bacon – hi – yes – just checked my map and that is the route suggested by Slugwash. Although I am not too sure about these "granite water bars" – I am not too sure what they are and sound a bit of a challenge so I'll keep a look out for any obstacles.

foxyrider
    Free Member

Thats my local 1.5 – 2 hours loop as I live in Bovey 🙂

simonralli2
    Free Member

Foxyrider – I think I set off before 10 and got back to my car around 2 if not a tad later! 😕

foxyrider
    Free Member

Sorry it doesn't go up hound tor though – thats why its quicker 🙂 Don't worry about the timing its just I was trying to say I ride that area if I need a quick Sunday loop 😉 I'm not that fast 😉

bagpuss
    Free Member

I'll make sure I take my camera then 😉

To be fair the widowmaker used to be known as 'Boneshaker' a while back and it's a better name if you like naming trails. It's a lot easier than some of the stuff you've ridden with Woody, Tim and Co over the other side of the moor, just longer and far more open. Fingers crossed for a sunny day.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Dartmoor today – Bovey Tracey – Lustleigh Cleave loop pics + questionable video’ is closed to new replies.