Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Dalby forest tomorrow, a few q's
  • jonny-m
    Free Member

Got a rare trip out to dalby tomorrow, not ridden there for a while,Looking to do the long red route but a few questions first,

1. Where do I start the ride, is it a big loop with same start and finish point?
    2. How long will it take to get round( fast ish rider)
    3. Anyone have a post code To get me there
    Cheers folks

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Best place is the visitor centre in this weather so theres somewhere dry to get changed and get cake at the end of the ride.
    2 hours if you’re really shifting.
    Head to Thornton le Dale outside Pickering. Signed from there.

dickie
    Free Member

I’d start at the visitors centre as thats where the facilities are, bogs, cafe, etc.

Its 23 miles – 2.5 – 3.5 hours, although someone will be along shortly to say they do it in less.

YO18 7LT

gab344
    Free Member

It it’s wet, take a spare set of brakepads (or maybe two) yes really :0

jonny-m
    Free Member

Cheers guys, how much is it to park nowadays?

outby
    Free Member

about £7 to get into forest drive free parking when in.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

or £42 for an annual pass

nbt

Mrs NBT and i rode it on bank holiday saturday. At a social pace, it took us almost four hours to get about three-quarters of the way round before we realised that her back brake pads were shot, and we had to cut it short. So, be realistic on the times, and yes, take spare pads. There’s a jetwash behind the bike shop at the visitor centre, pound a go.

Eggbox
    Free Member

If it proves to be taking too long I noticed a few places where you can bail out of the route and follow signs on the fire road back to the vistors centre.

I really enjoyed the more “natural feeling” bits of the red trail but found the bits at the top that are on a raised camber a bit of chore. I do like the fact that some of the climbs are singletrack though, with nice tight switchbacks, much more interesting than fireroad.

oblique
    Free Member

Start at the visitors center.

It is 24 miles with a fair bit of climbing. I am in a local club That have a TT round the red and only 7 people have ever gone under 2 hours (people in the club that have submited a time, i am sure there are loads more people that have done it quicker). first time i did it was at a social pace and was about 4 hours. the last quater can be hard going in the wet. There are loads of ways to bail back to the carpark if you look at an os map.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Sorry for jumping in. I’m getting the impression that Dalby isnt as weather proof as say Gisburn?

sobriety
    Free Member

The raised section out the back is, frankly, rubbish. It’s a shallow climb that they seem to have tried to make technical by making it really rocky, in reality all it is is slow and bloody uncomfortable, other than that I really enjoyed it when I was there.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Nah, Dalby is pretty weather proof. There is one pretty rubbish bit – after you cross the road at the far end of the forest drive, the trail heads into the trees and climbs slightly. That is a pain and boring. Easier to just spin along the road for a few minutes before rejoining the trail when it recrosses the road. Theres another section just before that, before you get to the downhill track that used to be this unique-to-Dalby raised rocky stuff. Over the years thats flattened down nicely and was super swoopy and quick when I rode it a few months back.

jonny-m
    Free Member

Just back, pretty hard going at times in the wind and rain but got round in 2 hrs 20, really should have took some food or gels and energy drink though, 1 litre of water, just didn’t cut it. Pretty shot at the end. Enjoyed it though, hard going at times but will go back, bikes looks **** !

davethomas
    Free Member

Take some food, it’s energy sapping stuff round there – jealous!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Dalby forest tomorrow, a few q's’ is closed to new replies.