• This topic has 102 replies, 41 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by LS.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 103 total)
  • Cyclo-cross Worlds next weekends, spoilers likely
  • kilo

Apologies to realman for a shoddy version of his TdeF previews but I’m waiting in for a tv repairmen so have time on my hands!

Should be an interesting series of races as the Worlds takes place in Bieles Luxemburg this coming weekend website for worlds.

Vos has been on a fine run of form over the last few rounds of the cyclo-cross World Cup winning the last three rounds, including quite an easy looking victory t the weekend and picking up the Dutch title as well.

The elite women race on Saturday at 15.00 and I beleive this’ll be on UCI.ch but the website is a bit vague

The elite and u23 men race on the Sunday. The elite men could be a bit more open with Van Der Haar winning at the weekend

World Champion Wout Van Aert missed Hoogerheide due to a knee problem, Mathieu Van Der Poel seemed to have a bit of a shocker at the weekend and Toon Aerts is out with a borked shoulder from a crash at the previous round of the World Cup in Italy so could quite an open race

In the u23 there seems to be a good chance of British winner with Tom Pidcock taking a win at the weekend.

Tickets for the event are on sale at about fifty euros for a weekend pass which allows you free travel on the trains to get to the venue. Should be a good weekend of racing.

franksinatra

That rider in the first photo looks way to clean to have just finished a CX race.

kilo

It was a very dry / frozen course at the weekend, did seem t be many bike changes needed, I think somebody described it as a crit with a staircase in it

ferrals
    Free Member

Good thread! 8)

Was pleased to see van der haar winning on Sunday, should be a good race next weekend.

Dodgy go-pro course video here:
    [video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1r7e3pLfEQw[/video]

From what you can see looks like a good course. Think the commentators on sunday said weater forecast was cold, icy and possibly a few snow flurries.

And for those noth bothered to click on the website..
    Course map:

and course profile:

everyone
    Free Member

You forgot about the u23 women, Evie Richards is having a great season as is Ellen Noble from the USA.

If it’s anything like the world cups it’ll be shown live on the ucis YouTube channel.

Hoping to see some close racing but it’s hard to look past Vos the Boss. I don’t know who it’ll be for the men though, a week ago I would’ve said that Wout pretty much had it in the bag but Lars Van de Haar seems to have peaked perfectly and Tom Meeusen (sp?) is never far from the podium.

Annoyingly I’m on a train most of Sunday so I’ll miss the men’s races. Will have to avoid twitter, here etc until I get the chance to watch!

kilo

Think the commentators on sunday said weater forecast was cold, icy and possibly a few snow flurries.

Snow would be interesting but Mrs Kilo made a spur of the moment decision last night that we’re going over to watch it so I’m happy with cold and dry please 🙂

Marge
    Free Member

I was in Hoogerheide yesterday & indeed a very fast parcours but surprisingly technical. Couldn’t have been more different from the mud in 2016.
    It was rock hard ground but very slippy with a lot of crashes, perhaps more than a muddy cross even.

Lars was fantastic though, and in his classic style, kept getting out of the saddle & pushing on even when he had a huge lead.

Matthieu VdP just looked exhausted after his Spanish training fortnight but it would take a very brave person to bet against him for the Worlds.

Vos was quite simply the fastest – she’s found her speed back after returning & no-one is going to beat her.

ferrals
    Free Member

kilo – Member

Snow would be interesting but Mrs Kilo made a spur of the moment decision last night that we’re going over to watch it so I’m happy with cold and dry please

Jealous! I really want to get over and watch a world champs or world cup one year. Be nice if another world cup came to the UK one year

LS
    Free Member

U23 women should be a hell of a race, Verdonschot will be in the mix too as will some of the Dutch riders.
    VdH, Meeusen and Pauwels will all be in with a shout for a medal I’d guess but it’s really difficult to look further than Mathieu or Wout in the elite men. If the weather’s really shabby then maybe one of the Swiss or eastern European guys such as Bina or Simunek (are they riding? I haven’t looked) could play a part.
    Vos is back to being unbeatable unless something disastrous happens, she was just playing with them yesterday. When she’s on it she can just ride away from the others when she feels like it. Nikki as an outside bet for a medal I think, she’s coming into form and some of the others look tired.
    Pidcock is the best junior out there but only just, if the other teams gang up on him there might well be a race on!

We’re heading over there on Friday, I really can’t wait.

Marge
    Free Member

Sven Nys video clip of this weekends Worlds course.
    Looks like a great course but weather will be everything. Snowing In Belgium today so cannot imagine it isn’t in Luxembourg

http://video.hln.be/iframe.html?ec=1hcGMyOTE6kDIv8caMqSsGtJ6BhNkUz-&pbid=4e157796ad264708a9aa6dc4772d37b8&ad=62a109f659c64b15b91a3b714fb749c6

mrblobby
    Free Member

Looking forward to this.

Matthieu VdP just looked exhausted after his Spanish training fortnight but it would take a very brave person to bet against him for the Worlds.

Two hard week + easy week = top form for Worlds. Got to be VdP or Wout. Both have had dominant periods this season but gone off the boil a bit, probably just building to peak at the Worlds.

Vos looks bloody good for the women’s. What’s happened to Sanne?

Great to have Evie to cheer on in the u23 too 🙂

ferrals
    Free Member

Two hard week + easy week = top form for Worlds. Got to be VdP or Wout. Both have had dominant periods this season but gone off the boil a bit, probably just building to peak at the Worlds.

Think you are right but if WvA’s knee injury niggles it might not be the case. Plus I hope LVDH will be buoyed up by last weeks win, be great to see a three-way ding dong battle between them all.

LS
    Free Member

What’s happened to Sanne?

Sanne is rare in that she makes her entire living from CX, so she rides the majority of races in order to earn her salary and start/prize money. She often gets to the end of season looking less than dominant and it’s probably why she hasn’t won the stripes.

Marge
    Free Member

Sanne Cant once smiled (or so it is rumoured)
    (quality rider though)

Niels Albert was suggesting on the radio this morning that the enforced rest might have done WvA some good. Not sure if I believe it though.

eddie11
    Free Member

Hmmm WvA knee problem *strokes chin*.
    Fully expect that to make no difference this weekend, if there is even anything at all.

WvA and MvP are streets ahead of the rest but have had long seasons, has their tapering worked? I think toon was coming good but that wildcard has gone. A fresh laars has suddenly made it interesting he looked strong on Sunday but as much as I love him I think hes still 3rd best. he’s relying on both the big 2 failing to have a chance And one of WvA and MVP has got to come good.

Oh And boom for top10 please, with a special boom cam on the red button just to see his pain face.

Women’s looks like Vos all the way. U23w has to be Evie? She’s beaten Ellen noble every time they’ve raced this season I thought.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Sanne Cant once smiled (or so it is rumoured)

I like Sanne. Quite a good interview here if anyone’s not seen it. Some discussion of her podium face…

Meet Sanne Cant, the most dominant woman in cyclocross

atlaz
    Free Member

Think the commentators on sunday said weater forecast was cold, icy and possibly a few snow flurries.

Some snow today. -5

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

Vos was quite simply the fastest – she’s found her speed back after returning & no-one is going to beat her.

Cant has toned down her season in order to be less tired for the Worlds, she’s done fewer races than last year.

I’m torn between wanting Cant to get it after being so close, and Vos to get it after making a come-back, either would be a romantic victory. Always liked Vos despite being the type that roots for the underdog, but became a proper fan seeing her work at 100% as a lead-out and domestique on the road, including the Olympics.

Hoping for a decent MvDP vs WvA battle with other riders getting involved rather than a procession. A bit too much to expect any other winner!

ferrals
    Free Member

rather than a procession

Yeah a lot of races that I’ve watched this year seem to have been decided with 3 or more laps to go. Hope its a nailbiter like last year!

LS
    Free Member

Last year wasn’t really a nailbiter, as soon as Wout and Mathieu had their coming together there was only going to be one winner. VdP shut down and WvA became the most determined man on the planet, little Lars had no chance of staying away.

mos

Anybody know if its going to be on the tellybox? I’ve had a quick look on Bike channel but nothing mentioned.

LS
    Free Member

Live on the UCI Youtube channel, should be all five races.

jobro
    Free Member

U23 women should be a hell of a race

Agreed. I think this could be the best race of the weekend. Fingers crossed for an Evie Richards win.

burnsybhoy
    Free Member

Only 2 more days at work then it’s Bieles here we come. 🙂

tang
    Free Member

If you can’t make it, we are screening the men’s race at our gaff after our racing. http://www.lovecrossed.co.uk

bikebouy
    Free Member

Great thread.
    LvdH FTW.

vdubber67
    Free Member

I think judging Cant’s persona on last year’s World’s podium is a little unfair (in terms of the smiling thing)

Have a look at this if you’ve not seen it. https://vimeo.com/119442357

Bit of a different insight into her etc….

I’d love to see her win Worlds just to see how massive the smile would be! 😀

benw
    Free Member

I am going again this year,can’t wait.Last year was the first time for me and really enjoyed it apart from the crap ale they sell on the course.

ferrals
    Free Member

@richvelo, thats pretty cool 🙂

@tang, enjoyed the lovecrossed screening last year, was great watching with a bunch of likeminded folk. Not going to make this year, which is a shame as i guess the ground is a bit firmer so less mech destruction potential?

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

Women as previously said I want Sanne to win however I think it would be awesome to see a good ding dong with Vos! Don’t discount De Boer or Brammaier (Harris) if riding well or Katarina Nash! Gutted for De Jong with last weekend’s injuries!

I’m doing Sanne 1st, Vos 2nd and De Boer 3rd!

U23 you have forgotten Anne Marie Worst who was 3rd on elite podium at Hoogerheide on the weekend! So could be a really battle between her Richards and Verdonschot! I want Verdonschot to win, they will all be watching Richards a lot more than they were last year!

Verdonschot 1st, Richards 2nd and Worst 3rd for me!

Junior men not really interested in it I’m afraid.

Elite men who knows! It would be ace to see a battle between a few of them MvP, LvDH, WvA, etc etc and have it go down to the wire, that one I can’t predict but I’d like to see Lars win!

I’ll be at Love Crossed racing then enjoying watching it, was a fantastic event last year loved it.

atlaz
    Free Member

Today’s weather – -4, light dusting of snow in places. Went for lunch somewhere near the CX course, it’s bloody freezing in the wind down there.

LS
    Free Member

I hope Toupalik is riding the U23s again this time so that he can finish the job he thought he’d completed last year 😯

maxlite
    Free Member

Would love Lar’s to win Elite and I’d say Vos for women’s, Cant will get it one day!

Interview link show’s a really different side to Cant….she just loves to win.

U23 and Juniors are going to be interesting, roll on Sunday 🙂

mrblobby
    Free Member

I’m doing Sanne 1st, Vos 2nd and De Boer 3rd!

As much as I’d like to see Sanne win, I can’t see how Cant would beat Vos unless she has a problem.

ferrals
    Free Member

Certainly looks like interesting weather!
    Cycling weekly weather report

jonba
    Free Member

Anywhere to watch it live?

I was hoping to see Thomas Mein win in the Juniors. Local lad, I think there is a contingent of the local league going over to support.

Won on the Koppenberg cross earlier this year so in with a shout.

velocipede
    Free Member

OMG – no mention of Tom Pidcock???

He’s won the last two world cups

We have the best chance to win the Junior Mens race since Roger Hammond – come on Tom!!

Not a bad road rider either (chip off the old block – his Dad, Giles, was good when I raced against him in the 80’s!)

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

Anywhere to watch it live?

is it on the UCI youtube channel? All the UCI world cups have been on it (live and for later viewing) so unless someone else has bought the UK rights it’ll be there too?

OMG – no mention of Tom Pidcock???

Undoubtedly talented but let’s just say I haven’t warmed to him. Seems to have gone to the US School For Graceless Arrogance in Sporting Victory. Can’t say I’d be any more classy if I was that good at that age (I’m sure I’d have been a total dick) but not someone I’ll be rooting for, and have never got behind people just for being British.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 103 total)

The topic ‘Cyclo-cross Worlds next weekends, spoilers likely’ is closed to new replies.