• This topic has 12 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by br.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Cycle-Tracks and the law ?
  • Ifrider
    Free Member

Part of my commute is alongside a cycle lane. Normally I’d use this but this particular one is usually littered with parked cars and goes across the drop-kerbed areas of the path so it’s basically like a roller coaster and crosses 2 or 3 roads. Now I like to go swiftly on the road (usually because I’m late) hence I don’t use it, it’s not a city centre and it’s a 30 mph limit. Seem to be getting a load of s**t off idiot drivers at the mo’ though quoting how it’s not legal being on the road where there’s a bike lane alternative. Personally I think this is bo**ox… is it illegal what I’m doing ???

iain1775
    Free Member

No of course it’s not illegal. You pay road tax don’t you 😉

argoose
    Free Member

do it naked give them something else to moan at 😆

butcher

I believe the Highway Code recommends the use of cycle lanes where applicable. But their use is not compulsory. You are well within your rights to ride on the road.

orena45

No it’s not illegal. Tell them to chuff off, and carry on as you were.

cynic-al
    Free Member

There is case law. Some idiot lower court judge said it was mandatory for cyclists to use bike paths, but it was overturned on appeal.

A bit of googling should find it, so you can quote it at the drivers 😉

druidh
    Free Member
    Ifrider
    Free Member

Thanks guys,thought so. Must admit, when the idiots (usually mid 40’s + with wifey alongside) wind down their windows whilst crawling beside and start shouting, the rage that builds up inside allows me to ride much faster. The gesticulating that comes with this is particularly tension-relieving 😆

Ifrider
    Free Member

Druidh – cheers!! will quote that in reply to a works email they’d sent out. A company-wide “cycle-awareness” email that said it was £1000 fine offence NOT to use a cycle lane where one is provided…

scaredypants

There’s apparently some DoT advice somewhere* that says you SHOULDN’T use cycle paths if you’re going to go above a certain* speed

(* no idea, soz)

pdw
    Free Member

The Highway Code is pretty clear on this. It also highlights the danger of using cycle tracks.

61. Cycle Routes and Other Facilities. Use cycle routes, advanced stop lines, cycle boxes and toucan crossings unless at the time it is unsafe to do so. Use of these facilities is not compulsory and will depend on your experience and skills, but they can make your journey safer.

62. Cycle Tracks. These are normally located away from the road, but may occasionally be found alongside footpaths or pavements. Cyclists and pedestrians may be segregated or they may share the same space (unsegregated). When using segregated tracks you MUST keep to the side intended for cyclists as the pedestrian side remains a pavement or footpath. Take care when passing pedestrians, especially children, older or disabled people, and allow them plenty of room. Always be prepared to slow down and stop if necessary. Take care near road junctions as you may have difficulty seeing other road users, who might not notice you.

63. Cycle Lanes. These are marked by a white line (which may be broken) along the carriageway (see Rule 140). Keep within the lane when practicable. When leaving a cycle lane check before pulling out that it is safe to do so and signal your intention clearly to other road users. Use of cycle lanes is not compulsory and will depend on your experience and skills, but they can make your journey safer.

pdw
    Free Member

There’s apparently some DoT advice somewhere* that says you SHOULDN’T use cycle paths if you’re going to go above a certain* speed

(* no idea, soz)

18mph, but I don’t think it’s current:

http://webarchive.nationalarchives.gov.uk/%2B/http://www.dft.gov.uk/consultations/archive/2004/ltnwc/annexdcodeofconductnoticefor1688

br
    Free Member

Druidh – cheers!! will quote that in reply to a works email they’d sent out. A company-wide “cycle-awareness” email that said it was £1000 fine offence NOT to use a cycle lane where one is provided…

Can you post it – with the obvious deleted.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Cycle-Tracks and the law ?’ is closed to new replies.