Viewing 40 posts - 281 through 320 (of 330 total)
  • Cube Reaction 29er ?? Any good?
  • tony24
    Free Member

i am going to order a new KMC chain as i dont want mine to snap anymore… had no problems with the 3 x drive train but i have only used the granny ring 2 times… deffo changing mine to 2 x set up as i much prefer it on my other bike.

stevewhyte
    Free Member

I need to get mine serviced soon too. Also need to get out and ride it.

inigomontoya
    Free Member

Glitch bump

gsp1984
    Free Member

May have damaged mine today… Doing a technical climb in the peaks and the rear wheel lost traction and spun, stopping me dead… And when clipped in that bad news so went over sideways straight down the hillside into a ditch lol

Structurally it seems strong still no matter what force you put on it but there’s a good sized mark on it.

velomanic
    Free Member

Hope there’s no serious damage gsp1984.

I’ll be putting mine to the test at the weekend – entered in a 24 hour enduro (solo!).

Just got a pair of Conti X-Kings (2.2) to put on, anyone familiar with them as a 29er tyre?

jwmlee
    Free Member

Someone recommended 29er Mud X’s but also read a good review of Beavers. Will keep it as a dry weather bike – won’t be riding this summer then.

gsp1984
    Free Member

Hello carbon damage, knew I should have avoided carbon.

I’m debating just sticking some resin on it, then the other half of me is thinking of sending it to a place in derbyshire that does carbon frame repairs… this looks simple compared to the damage pictures on his website.

tony24
    Free Member

How did you manage that?

gsp1984
    Free Member

Not entirely sure to be honest. I have a few theories…

1) I fell off in the peaks at the weekend, couldn’t un clip my shoes in time on a steep climb so just went over slowly… but there were no rocks or anything.

2) A pedal from someone else bike on the roof rack possible

3) Hit by something in transit, stone or something

4) Or maybe my show heel has done it when pedaling.

I have no idea though, as I’m fairly precious about it and would have noticed. Quite depressing but it seems the carbon ones are very delicate lol

jwmlee
    Free Member

Cube do crash replacement so might be worth asking.

I was told that Carbon can’t be repaired effectively because it acts a little like an exoskeleton i.e. the structural strength is produced across the entire shell. Have you taken it to a bike shop to see what they have to say? If it’s just the surface lacquer, you may be ok.

After breaking two carbon frames (once was my fault) I converted to titanium. Clearly didn’t learn the lesson because I bought another 🙂

flh24
    Free Member

Ohhh no does not look good!
    If any of you are in the south of England I’ve always had no problems with Primera sports when needing my bike serviced in the past. Not sure if they be able to help but it’s worth a try!!

JPothecary
    Free Member

Reaction GTC Sl….So my update for the followers…7 weeks in and loving it! where i was always close behind up the hills i’m 500meters in front these days…Cheating you say! my mates had lighter bikes so now its my turn! manage to keep up on the downhills also although cant throw it around as well as the 26er.
    Bad points for me The tyres! I can’t be bothered waiting 3 days to ensure they stay inflated as tubeless, very puncture prone! ( i’ve used protection thats thicker than the Schwalbes! so kept to tubes but got 3 flats in a single ride ride. Now paranoid of getting a flat and also paranoid that putting on some propper rubber will slow things down again.
    A lot of flex in the rear when power up in a high gear..cant work out if frame or wheel flex (heavy rider!)
    Brakes good, with progressive braking not like my old Avids but rear does sound like a horse sometimes!
    Forks OK but no way as good as Fox’s, lockout sometimes takes a while to dis-engage.
    Seat was hard as nails…swapped straight away for my Fizik all comfy now!
    Was holding onto my Stumpy just encase but its no brainier..time to sell her on!

stevewhyte
    Free Member

Your right about the seat, it’s not uncomfy but it is quite hard.

I haven’t noticed any flex in the rear and I am mega powerful 🙂

The bike sure does fly.

razor

Can’t say I’ve had any of those problems. Surprisingly happy with the (tubeless) tyres which sealed first time and stayed up. Not noticed any flex and have always liked Rockshox SIDs. Don’t dislike the saddle and don’t need the lockout so probably going to take it off. All round still grinning and still faster.

Can’t ever remember reading about this bike in ST, which is a bit disappointing for such a popular bike.

Still keeping my Stumpy though, for the more chunky type of riding.

jwmlee
    Free Member

The seat is way softer than the Selle Italia SLR on my ti.

Also like the SIDs – just installed a pair on my 26er.

velomanic
    Free Member

Just completed a 24 hour enduro and the bike did me proud!

Only technical issue was a broken seatpost clamp (+ the seat sliding along the rails & ripping the paint off…) and I had to change the front & rear brake pads.

Conti X-Kings (2.2) were fantastic and no mud clearance issues despite some awful conditions.

Thinking of going to a 2 x 10 set up though, anyone else done it?

stevewhyte
    Free Member

Yip, me.

velomanic
    Free Member

Did you stay with XT?

velomanic
    Free Member

… and what chainrings are you running?

jwmlee
    Free Member

You went with X-Kings for the muddy conditions? Or just because you disliked the Schwalbes?

velomanic
    Free Member

The Rocket Ron was ok on the front but I got annoyed with the Racing Ralph letting go on loose, steep climbs & damp roots etc. I’m not saying it’s a bad tyre, it just didn’t suit me / my riding style so I was looking for something different.

I’ve always liked Contis, I’ve had Mountain King II’s on a 26er before which were brilliant but wanted to go with something faster rolling so went for the X-Kings, the lower profile tread and 2.2 width being well suited to the Cube’s tyre clearance.

stevewhyte
    Free Member

Yes xt with 26/38 rings.

jwmlee
    Free Member

@velomatic Yes, the Ron / Ralphs are fast rolling at the expense of grip. Having said that I rode a section last night which was very waterlogged and boggy. My 26 hardtail would have struggled with that same tyre combination and I was amazed at home much more traction the 29in tyres gave. Think they are good on hard pack but certainly not great on wet rocks and roots. Also a bit skittish on the dry, loose stuff.

This bike doesn’t feel as fast as my Elite HPT but it is much faster. Been getting lots of KOMs (Strava) recently. Also feel very stable and haven’t felt steering control is compromised in technical sections.

Good on you for doing the race. Never done one.

JPothecary
    Free Member

After getting 3 punctures in the Schwalbes on one ride and about to do IOW flinity tracks! I’ve now gone for the Maxxis Ignitor front and Ikon rear. Pumped up tubless first time without home made pressure bottle needed ro teh schwalbes! I paid the extra for the EXO version for added strength…these tyers look and feel so much better than the Schwalbes and according to reports last a lot longer! and only a few grams heavier!
    Time will tell!

stevewhyte
    Free Member

Totally agree about the schwalbes, they are trail centre tyres, great for hard pack. Did a section of the southern up
    And last week and the tyres were not great, but saying that they were still better than I expected. Wet rocks and thick mud do not mix with the RR. I quite like the look of the conti 29er tyres, more like NN that RR.

razor

>40 miles this morning and still happy with the saddle.

Starting to think the front end is a bit more sketchy in the mud than I’m used to (first high-speed crash this morning – can’t have been my fault :oops:). Don’t know if that’s because of the 29″ forks or the long stem, or maybe I need to admit a mud tyre would be better.

Also the small cogs seem to get clogged up with mud a lot easier, but I guess that would be true of all 10-speed cassettes too.

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

got my GTC pro on saturday . . . last one they had in . . .

1 ride out, first ever time on a 29er, . . wow this thing gobbles up the tarmac, can’t wait to get off road on it, . . . i’ve got flats on for the time being until i get used to it . . .but the clipless are ready to go.

It looks amazing too . . .

The other consideration was the Giant xtc very nicely kitted out bike, . . but the smooth carbon just had to be mine . . .

stevewhyte
    Free Member

Good man, now get out and enjoy it!!

jaydubya
    Free Member

Hi guys. First post on this forum and thought I’d say hi.

I bought my 29er GTC Pro from Stiff Cycles about a month ago and am absolutely loving it (they had another 29er in if anyone is looking). I’ve come from a Cannondale Prophet and switch because I was looking for a HT as the type of riding I do involves both roads and XC. I agree with all the previous comments about this bike just wanting to roll… It’s awesome and v stable at high speed. The frame is v.rigid and light (can feel the lightness when climbing) and the components are all v.good. I love the lock out on the front – makes a big difference. I’ve got both DMR V12s but recently fitted SPDs – both are great. The Selle X1 saddle is probably fine for race but a pain on long trecks.. Hated it and not healthy for the plums. Swapped this already along with the seatpost to a Thompson Elite (I always have these)

Overall I really recommend this bike as has most bases covered and looks smart. Pic taken at Norwood before I made some tweaks:

velomanic
    Free Member

Nice pic!

Agree about the saddle, it’s ok for short / medium rides but it’s not friendly for long haul stuff plus the seat clamp scraped the coating off the rails and they started to corrode alarmingly quickly…

Considering a Specialized BG upgrade.

jwmlee
    Free Member

Cool pic! Not been out on mine – ‘summer bike’ with summer tyres. This year’s been crap. Think I’m turning into a roady 😀

jaydubya
    Free Member

I’ve switched the saddle to a Selle Italia SMP Extra… Looks bizarre but it the comfiest saddle Ive sat on and goes someway to protecting the vitals by allowing good blood flow. Really recommend it.

wookiebear
    Free Member

Hi guys. First post on this forum and thought I’d say hi.

I bought my 29er GTC Pro from Stiff Cycles about a month ago and am absolutely loving it (they had another 29er in if anyone is looking). I’ve come from a Cannondale Prophet and switch because I was looking for a HT as the type of riding I do involves both roads and XC. I agree with all the previous comments about this bike just wanting to roll… It’s awesome and v stable at high speed. The frame is v.rigid and light (can feel the lightness when climbing) and the components are all v.good. I love the lock out on the front – makes a big difference. I’ve got both DMR V12s but recently fitted SPDs – both are great. The Selle X1 saddle is probably fine for race but a pain on long trecks.. Hated it and not healthy for the plums. Swapped this already along with the seatpost to a Thompson Elite (I always have these)

Overall I really recommend this bike as has most bases covered and looks smart. Pic taken at Norwood before I made some tweaks:

Thanks for the heads up, just managed to bag a 21″ 29 GTC Pro from Stif whom I would have never heard of if I hadnt looked on here and they did me 36 months interest free as well.
    I gave up looking months ago and was going to wait for next years bikes.
    They still had a 17″ left as well
    Delivery is on Friday

Chipbutty
    Free Member

Here’s my 19″ pro. Just picked it up yesterday from Squarewheels, maiden voyage tonight 🙂

IMG-20120711-00038 by michaelpark41, on Flickr

IMG-20120711-00036 by michaelpark41, on Flickr

cuberider
    Free Member

Bike looks fantastic. Changed my handle from jwmlee.

wookiebear
    Free Member

Mine turned up from Stif today, had the day off work so i could have a play. FedEx didnt deliver till 5:10 gutted, but really happy once i built it up. One thing I noticed is it didnt come with the Eastmen stem but the Syntace F149 which is from the SL not the Pro which I have.
    Went for a blast tonight on the roads and cant beleive how quick it is, also breathed a sigh of releif as I ordered the 21″ without trying and was worried it would be to big but the fit is perfect.
    very very happy

velomanic
    Free Member

At the risk of asking a silly question, will this fit straight in the existing press-fit bottom bracket?

2013 Shimano XT 38-24 10 Speed Crank

razor

after a bit more riding;
    Still faster than anything else I’ve ridden off road
    Bottom bracket had to be serviced, but chain still not broken
    Nose of saddle wearing out now
    Torn the Racing Ralph twice (too much for the Stan’s sealant!)
    Have taken off the lock-out and the indicators on the shifters
    Going to try Specialized 2bliss tyres instead

@JPothecary How did you get on with the Maxxis?

Anybody running tubeless without a Stan’s rim strip?

velomanic
    Free Member

Still faster than anything else I’ve ridden off road

Yep, definitely agree with that!

Also removed the shifter indicators.
    Just switching to 2×10.
    Sram PC1091 Chain.
    Swapped the Scwhalbe’s for Conti X-King 2.2’s.
    Swapped the seatpost clamp to stop the post sliding down.
    On the second set of brake pads.

Still love the bike, it’s a weapon!

wookiebear
    Free Member

The new 2013 bikes are on the Cube website and I have to say that this years bike is no where near as nice as last years, and it weighs almost 1kg more

Viewing 40 posts - 281 through 320 (of 330 total)

The topic ‘Cube Reaction 29er ?? Any good?’ is closed to new replies.