Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Crome Bike
  • Yorkshire_Lad
    Free Member

I want to get my bike polished like this:

http://is.pinkbike.com/photo/4271/pbpic4271367.jpg

Anyone know where I can get it done in Yorkshire?

Ta.

thepodge
    Free Member

Yellow pages under polish or metal finishing

jordie
    Free Member

If you have the time give it a go, i have this finished but i don`t have a completed pic yet.I does take a bit of time but i enjoyed doing it.The downtube just needed some Autosol to finish

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    tthew

The Orange was the subject of a thread on here, perhaps the owner will be along in a minute to give you the lowdown, (I remember the love it or hate it Halfords lettering).

Yorkshire_Lad
    Free Member

Thanks to all responses. Jordie just out of interest how what was the process you used?

toons
    Free Member

My mate has done a few polished frames.

BTW it does dull and will never look the same again, unless you're willing to polish it!

Mike's 951 by james_ferguson, on Flickr

Turner DW 5 Spot by james_ferguson, on Flickr

He posted this on the intense forum on mtbr

"Hi all, its easier than you might think, you've just got to put a cuple of wk's aside to do it!
    I started with a medium scotchbright pad and then moved onto a 600 grade wet n dry paper then fined it all using 1200 grade wet n dry, finally using a drill and a 2" lambs wool polishing head I set too polishing all the areas I could get too using the drill, in the areas I couldnt I used a cloth by hand, I used a compound called solvol autosol metal polish and the results speak for themselves I think!
    fitting the fresh decals was probably more of a head ache!
    Its all complete now, just finished building it tonight, so I'll get some pic's up soon, there are a few over on pink bike but for sum reason they are upside down?!
    Cheers for all the compliments, makes all that effort even more worth while!!"

More photos of the 951 and his old Turner highline (also polished)

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Theres somewhere in Halifax I called and they said they could do it but I'd need the frame stripping of all its powdercoat first. Can't remember who exactly it was… Think they were on Gibbet St or Queens Rd (nice). Ended up buying a metal polishing kit from ebay with all the mops and polishing paste etc, just never got around to stripping the frame and then got it powdercoated instead. Might have a go on my old PDC when I get a chance…

AlexSimon

That intense looks incredible. The photo on Pinkbike even moreso.
    Fantastic work!
    Looks like a great rewarding project.

AlexSimon

Can you get them clearcoated afterwards? Does it help retain the finish, or can it cause other problems?

tron
    Free Member

Most stuff that's factory polished is either anodised or lacquered – it dulls the finish a bit, but it at least stays the way it is. TBH DIYing an entire frame would be a massive pain, as would the upkeep.

toons
    Free Member

i like this one from pinkbike

Mike's custom polished 951 by james_ferguson, on Flickr

AlexSimon

Just amazing

Yorkshire_Lad
    Free Member

Nice one guys. Next question what's the best way to strip the paint of the frame to begin the process?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Crome Bike’ is closed to new replies.

Members Notice New deal added to Members Discounts