Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Crank arm weights – Shimano SLX vs XT
  • lhabitantdepointe
    Free Member

Does anyone (tall order i know) know the difference in weight of an SLX crankset (arms) and Xt crank arms?

cynic-al
    Free Member

try weightweenies

lhabitantdepointe
    Free Member

?

honourablegeorge
    transapp
    Free Member

So that’s the difference that paint makes basically. Are the chain rings any different or are they actually identical?

honourablegeorge

I do think there’s more in it when rings are included, but basically, SLX is so good that it almost negates XT.

Northwind

Chainrings are different- or were at least, when I got mine.

XTR’s the same- the arms are a little lighter but most of the weight difference is in the other components.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

As above, it’s not very much. I’ve weighed both Mine (SLX and XT) both with just granny and middle rings as supplied from the factory (outer rings both removed) and the diff was about 50gms if irc. So, I presume 60gms ish dif for 3 chain rings. I certainly remember thinking that I would default to SLX in future. Not sure about XTR, beyond my price bracket.

transapp
    Free Member

Bugger, now I can’t justify the xt option over slx when I go 2×10. That’s almost a shame!

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

The weight is mostly in the rings & ancillaries.

XTR’s are ~500g bare.

br
    Free Member

I’ve old XT and XTR chainsets, there was 100g difference with Shimano rings, but only 50g difference once they’d both got Middleburn rings on.

gravity-slave
    Free Member

SLX supplied as twin and bash have steel pedal inserts so a bit heavier again – about 60g more than XT. The SLX supplied bashguard is very heavy too.

james
    Free Member

SLX 9spd triple complete is 889g claimed
    XT 9spd triple complete is 853g claimed
    So 36g difference (and usually around £36 sort of figure difference)

Bottom bracket is the same between them

IIRC
    SLX inner chainring is steel
    XT inner chainring is aluminium
    SLX middle chainring is steel teeth/’composite’ ring
    XT middle chainring is steel teeth/’carbon’? ring
    SLX outer is aluminium (as is XT) but SLX appears much chunkier

I always suspected there would be little between the arms. 6grams seems about right

[SLX double bash is ~1000g complete, same BB, but as above steel inserts, I seem to think its steel axle? has all steel rings (incl. 104BCD 36T) and as above (104BCD 36T) bashring not light]

perthmtb
    Free Member

[SLX double bash is ~1000g complete, same BB, but as above steel inserts, I seem to think its steel axle? has all steel rings (incl. 104BCD 36T) and as above (104BCD 36T) bashring not light]

Aren’t all the Shimano axles steel? But, the axle on the SLX double is supposed to be a bit thicker/stronger. And the 36T chainring on the SLX double is aluminium. I wish it was steel as it would last a bit longer, but it isn’t.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Crank arm weights – Shimano SLX vs XT’ is closed to new replies.