Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Crank arm removal crisis
  • ononeorange

Right. Square taper crank arms, have been on my 5 since at least 2004 and now BB is dead. Drive side crank arm came off easily, but I goofed on nds – didn’t get the bolt in properly and completely stripped threads. No amount of whacking the arm will loosen it off the taper (bolt is out).

How do I get the arm off? The only thing I can think of is heat, but don’t want to damage frame.

porter_jamie

Ball joint breaker works a treat. Done it twice like this.

tazzymtb

use a crownrace removal tool it will start it off lovely and then gently tap off with a flat head screwdriver

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    mtbtomo
    Free Member

I cocked this up once. It required a lot of filing / hacksawing / bashing and swearing to get the crank off in little pieces. That was the drive side.

Should be possible with a hacksaw, or drill into the crank arm close to the taper and try to relieve the pressure on the taper.

ononeorange

Thanks guys – good to know it’s not just me!
    Tazzy – genius. I have one of those why didn’t I think of it?!!

tazzymtb

Tazzy – genius. I have one of those why didn’t I think of it?!!

because you are not a ham fisted buffoon who used to be overzealous wit tightening things up 😉

brakes
    Free Member

I found the lump hammer and windmilling technique works in these situations

Suggsey
    Free Member

I used the 4″ angle grinder on the wifes when that was seized on. Nice and quick.

coatesy
    Free Member

Recently used a 2-arm puller to remove one easily, works in a similar way to a normal crank extractor, only hooks around the outside of the crank instead of screwing into it(also used a G-clamp around the arms to stop them spreading/slipping).Your local garage may let you use one of theirs,or you could get one from any decent tool or tool hire shop.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Crank arm removal crisis’ is closed to new replies.