Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • Cracking light!
  • benz
    Free Member

Although I have a couple of Trout and now a Stem mounted D Star for the winter road hack, cannot get over how good the Smudge (Mtb batteries) Lumenator is for the cash.

Couple of mates have bought recently and superb for the money…nothing not to like any I guess if any issues then legendary Smudge support will mean the issues will go away.

Credit where it is due.

yunki
    Free Member

I’m going to second that..

no discernible hotspot unless you’re looking at the floor a foot in front of your tyre.. just loads and loads of useable floody beam.. Small, compact and well made, with a superbly sealed battery, you can see immediately from this why the cheaper chinese lights fail so regularly..

and did I mention loads of light..?

I didn’t feel the need at any time last night to turn the setting any higher than second from bottom..
    Plus you get the almost legendary service and back up..

top notch

dantsw13

I was tempted by a lumenator, but ended up buying a Trout Spidereyes. First ride last night – oh, yes!! The throw down the trail is superb, and I only used the medium setting. The spread under the spot is just right – plenty of close in light, but no glare.

I only ran a bar light as as emergency backup, as it wasn’t necessary.

FuzzyWuzzy

The spidereyes is more than twice the price though?

trout
    Free Member

It’s worth it though 😉

Glad you like it Dan. bet yo did click it to hi at least once 😯

benz
    Free Member

Trout/Chris….don’t suppose you saw my email yesterday about buying a a 3 pin connector and some cable for the Darkness Dominator?

Or what supplier you get them from?

Thanks!

firestarter
    Free Member

Just been looking at the liberator and have one question, it says after 8 mins on full it turns down to 70% as it gets too hot so I’m wondering if makers are goin for all out lumens rather than sensible settings , it seems pointless to me to have something that over heats after a few mins. I know from experience once you get used to the brightest setting for a few mins you miss it when its gone. just curious as I’m currently looking for new lights and not a dig at anyone. 😉

federalski
    Free Member

Another question…

Anyone got the V2 XML light for £89, any good?

Or am I just being stingy and should plump for the Luminator?

downshep

Lumenator arrived today. It has 3x the output and is far cheaper than the light it replaces, (Minewt Dual) which had developed a fault. Everything about the Lumenator seems better quality; connectors, switches, head unit and battery all appear to be a good and proper job. Can’t get over the run times and how tiny it is either. Will be using the strobe when commuting too, very eyecatching, if slightly risky for epilepsy sufferers. 😯

federalski
    Free Member

Oops, found lots on the V2 XML, searched the site but had a ‘ after the 2 and got no results.

federalski
    Free Member

Screw it, ordered the Luminator 2 minutes ago.
    With my luck they will be sold out after I hum and haw, in for the kill!

How long did it take to arrive Downshep?

firestarter
    Free Member

Lol 🙂 its a bloody good looking light performance wise for the money

downshep

It took well over a week BUT the site did have clear updates stating the units were still being imported, then at customs awaiting clearance, so those of us who ordered were aware there would be a wait. As this batch is here now, delivery should be quick unless the entire batch is already sold. Best to ask Smudge for timescales before ordering if you need it sharpish.

federalski
    Free Member

Thanks for that.
    I see now he mentions a problem through last week in another thread.
    Hopefully not be too long.

pingu66
    Free Member

Any links to these sites where I can buy these as I can’t find them anywhere!

federalski
    Free Member

http://www.mtbbatteries.co.uk/

All the talk of this guy Smudge confused me as well, thought that was the name of a website…

Del.
    Free Member

I used to ride with Smudge…. Before he was famous ;0)

harrytoo
    Free Member

Time for a new light, got the options down to either the Luminator or the Fluxient 3 x U2, anyone had experience of them both,

Recommendations please……

Cheers.

dantsw13

Trout – may have used high a little !! The amount of runtime available on medium is immense. The light was also very easy to get set up/aligned on my helmet – an urge enduromatic.

federalski
    Free Member

Since this has sprung back up…
    Placed my order Wednesday evening and it arrived this morning, excellent service.
    Off out to try it tonight 😀

jam-bo

Untitled by jambo-uk, on Flickr

they glow in the dark, whats not to like…

cozz
    Free Member

ordered mine on weds night, turned up today friday morn

looks great dead bright, seems good for money, trying it out soon

dantsw13

I think a few of my mates may be upping their lumen count after encountering my Trout Spidereyes on Tuesday – probably either Gloworms or Lumenators.

I had the cash saved for a KS Lev, and a light, but after the MBR review on the ICE Lift V8 post, bought one of those, and treated myself to a Troutie Special – it is a thing of beauty.

lipseal
    Free Member

I’m thinking of changing my helmet light but I’m unsure how big, in real life, it is. It there one knocking about that I can try?

dantsw13

Gloworm is matchbox sized – Lumenator a tiny (not much) bit bigger. There was a thread on here with dimensions a few weeks back.

trout
    Free Member

lipseal
    My demo is out at the moment with Rich at Cyclistno1 but I do have the one I lent to What Mountainbike
    For the review I can lend that to you for a try out .

jam-bo

I’m thinking of changing my helmet light but I’m unsure how big, in real life, it is. It there one knocking about that I can try?

mounted directly onto my hex just using the o-rings.

Untitled by jambo-uk, on Flickr

thorlz
    Free Member

Tried mine out tonight, only a canal ride to work but it all counts.

As regards the OPs description of the light I wholeheartedly agree. F@@# me it’s good. Mounted on the bars with an ultrafire 502b torch strapped to my lid. Both set on medium /40% and giving more than enough light, even in totally unlit areas.
    Very happy with this combo so far, proper night ride required now.

lipseal
    Free Member

Yes please Chris YHM

adi66
    Free Member

Time for a new light, got the options down to either the Luminator or the Fluxient 3 x U2, anyone had experience of them both,
    Recommendations please……

Just got a luminator 3x U2 from mtb lights.co.uk who where great, super fast postsge and answered my wuestion about the 2 year warranty within 12 hours. first impressions Are that’s it ain’t never going to be a helmet light ! It’s a chunky beastie…. But when it’s mounted on your bike on the good bracket it’s solid and secure.
    First lil blast round my local park and on the lowest setting it’s as bright as my “magic shine alike from DX” on high it’s just bloody silly! So much light anything even remotely lightly coloured turns into a blinding mirror!

Can’t wait to get onto the trails with it !

…. Seems tho that nothing is quite as bright as my old bright star mag levin H.I.D’s !!!! They can REALLY chuck out some light !

trb
    Free Member

Hmmmmm, The battery on my old Lumicycle Halide eventually gave up last week after 8 or 9 years of service. I can get one of the MTB Batteries V2s for less than a new battery from Lumicycle

When I bought my halide I was an umarried, childless, “racer”
    Now I’m skint, have got a family, mortgage and 99% of my night riding is on the commute, so how will v2 stack up against a 9yr old halide on dark country lanes at 25mph?

And – one for the experts, my Halide appears to have gone a bit monochrome and lost the depth of field – do they tend to fade over time?

trout
    Free Member

Lipseal Demo Spider will be in the post today

PaulB
    Free Member

trb – replacement battery from Smudge?

jam-bo

Now I’m skint, have got a family, mortgage and 99% of my night riding is on the commute, so how will v2 stack up against a 9yr old halide on dark country lanes at 25mph?

my lumenator eclipses my L&M Arc HID even on 50% power.

jam-bo

trb
    Free Member

A replacement battery is an option, but When I bought my Halide it was leader of the Lumens arms race for output. These days it feels a bit dim. So either the bulb is fading or I’m going blind. I really need to confirm if the Halide bulbs lose performance over time before I decide what to buy.

trb
    Free Member

Could be nice new light time then, my Halide appears to be dimming with age which makes me cautious of just replacing the battery pack

Stoner
    Free Member
Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)

The topic ‘Cracking light!’ is closed to new replies.