Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Smudge's v2 vs eBay XML torch
  • Stoner
    Free Member

Just bought one of Smudge’s V2 bike lights

The light is for a mate who’s starting out night riding. Price not critical (he could afford to pay 3x as much 😉 ) but didnt want him dropping a load of money on something he might not use a lot (I already have a Troutie LL so I have no need of convincing him to get something inappropriately expensive for me to pick up later 😈 )

Since it’s the same Cree XM-L T6 LED as my eBay Bargin Torch from last year, I thought Id just point them at the wall this evening before I go out on a ride.

All shot on point-and-click at 1/8s f2.8 ISO400

eBay torch on left, Smudge’s on the right. About 12yrds to the wall

eBay torch. About 20yrds to the line on the lawn

Smudge lamp

So, the mtb batteries lamp is probably better/more efficiently driven than the torch and the orange peel reflector is substantially more refined in it’s work.

Where the eBay torch hurls the light out without much thought about shaping it from it’s smooth reflector, the mtb batteries head unit does a better job of sending the middle light out further at the centre whilst still providing enough peripheral light to the sides.

Really nice feel to the kit out of the box. Too.

I think my mate will be happy with it.

robsoctane
    Free Member

Thanks for that, good show! Makes me wonder if reflectors are easy to get hold of… Seems the torch needs a little play with to make it on par…

I don’t doubt Smudge though, or Troutie for that matter. I’ve read so many good reviews I know those boys are awesome at what they do. Hope your mate likes his new light/riding time change!!! If he hasn’t seen it show him the video on Ride IO that they did for a ‘night riding special’ very funny.

stevied
    Free Member

I’ve built lots of lights using normal optics without any problems but I built an MC-E light for my helmet using a reflector and it’s awesome. The beam is perfect for a helmet light.
    I think one of the big problems with reflectos is that, to work properly, they need to be quite big. Mine, for a single LED, is 35mm diameter so for multiple LED’s they are just not practical.
    For the money you can’t beat Smudge’s lights..

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    D0NK

don’t suppose anyone has a v2 and a hope 4 (vision) shots for comparison?

Stoner
    Free Member

very good point stevie – the Smudge reflector is 30mm dia, the torch is 25mm dia.

headpotdog
    Free Member

I’ve been thinking about getting a pair of X2s for helmet & bars. They look ideal for the helmet as the beam is well focused, but do you think the light spread is wide enough for peripheral vision from the bars?
    I’m wondering whether the Luminator might really be worth the extra cash for this instead??

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Headpotdog, I’ve just sold a v2 and bought a lumenator, and while the v2 was good, the lumenator is far better. Brighter, smaller, better made and has a good spread.

headpotdog
    Free Member

Cheer Nobeerinthefridge 🙂
    I think you’ve just persuaded me to part with another £30 from my wallet! (The missus would just have spent it anyway :wink:)

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Smudge's v2 vs eBay XML torch’ is closed to new replies.