Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Could you survive without food?
  • Xylene
    Free Member

Another of those strange topics for today.

Could you survive and carry out a normal life if you were to be supplied with the correct nutrients and fluids, but none were taken by mouth – maybe some sort of backpack mounted drip system or a magic pill.

Do you think you could go about a normal everyday existance without having to stop to eat food and all the other side activities that go with it.

I still haven’t come up with an answer to this yet. I’m sure that we could, because we get everything we need to live. They do afterall keep people in comas alive, but its not like they have an active life.

yunki
    Free Member

I don’t think that I could now.. I love food.. it would be a very hard habit to break..

I could have easily done it as a teenager.. simply washed down a pill or snorted a potion along with all the others..
    much more hygenic..

Cougar

Assuming we didn’t need to, are you asking whether we’d cope not having to eat, or not being able to?

There was a time, before I was veggie, where I’d have desperately welcomed it. Every mealtime was a trauma.

Now, I reckon I’d do very well if eating was optional. Sometimes I eat for pleasure, sometimes for function. I wouldn’t miss the latter. I think TBH I enjoy cooking more than eating.

uplink
    Free Member

No chance
    So much of my social life is related to and centred around food and drink

Garry_Lager

There was a bbc doc on food a while back which said that this had happened. I remember it as it seemed such an outlandish claim on an otherwise reasonable program. Apparently some pyar massive fat bastid from Glasgow had undergone a medically supervised diet over a year where he had taken no food – just fluid, vitamins and nutrients, and dropped 20 stone or some such extreme weight. Probably bollox like but it was interesting to see it claimed.

Xylene
    Free Member

Not having to.

All nutrients, minerals, fats, water is supplied in some way that doesn’t require us swallowing it into our stomachs. Maybe by a drip or some sort of bad vapouriser that forces it through our skin.

binners

A day without cheese is a day i never ever want to endure

molgrips
    Free Member

Otherwise known as the iDave diet.

Cougar

<– allergic to cheese.

Cougar

Actually.

I can’t eat cheese, I sit on my arse all day, I eat what I like, and I’m 11 stone (give or take).

Conclusion. Cheese makes people fat. Screw the iDave diet, try the Cougar diet, drop meat and cheese and eat what the hell you like.

(-:

b1galus
    Free Member

but i like meat and cheese 🙁

Cougar

Fatty.

ton

i would like to give it a try.
    it would have to be a big old pill tho, to get 3000cals into it.

Taff
    Free Member

I can barely survive the break between elevenses and lunch!!!

crikey
    Free Member

Eh?

People do live in exactly that way, using Total Parenteral Nutrition…

trout
    Free Member

I could probably survive on no food for 2 months till the reserves depleted .

but that beer and curry I have just scoffed did taste mighty good

do we get a pleasure pill in your regime to make life worth hanging aroud for

bananaworld
    Free Member

I suspect it would be rather like those sci-fi/X-Files plots that involve people who’ve been bred/adapted to do without sleep: yeah, you could do without eating, but it would result in psychological problems (e.g. paper & hair eating, excess chewing gum consumption, fingernail biting, maybe gnawing of fingers to the point of injury…)

Personally, I need to eat and would go mental without constantly stuffing my face. Om nom nom nom.

samuri
    Free Member

yeah, easy. I think lots of people are obsessed with what they put in their mouths, even the skinny ones.

loddrik
    Free Member

Had a 6 day bender in Ibiza with no sleep and no food. Definitely not good!!

bassspine
    Free Member

I’m going to have chlorophyl tattooed all over my body and just photosynthesise instead of eating.

edhornby

I think your digestive system would eventually pack up from having no solids running through it but it would be a long slow debilitating process…

mmm sandwiches, food is too good to miss out on

duntstick
    Free Member

Bacon and egg butties exist………….so, no!

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Could you survive without food?’ is closed to new replies.