Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Cotswolds – Winchcombe/Cleeve Hill
  • simonb
    Free Member

Thinking of riding there this weekend as it’s not to far from me. Does anyone know what the riding is like there? A look at the map there seems to be a lot of footpaths compared to bridleways. Can a decent loop be put together or something?

snaps
    Free Member

Very good around Cleeve, one of the Cotswold massive will be along to give details!

mrmo
    Free Member

a lot of cleeve is “local Knowledge” there are lots of sheep tracks that do take some exploring to find the best ones. I have spent literally hours riding round cleeve before and never needing to ride the same track twice.

As a loop. starting at the golf course climb to the top of the obvious climb, after a bit it starts to decend, follow the decent on your left is a valley, decend the track on the valley side rather than at the bottom, when the singletrack ends cross the valley bottom, climb up into the old quarry, decend into the next valley. it has a stream in it. you can decend the scree if you so wish.

turn left follow the paths keeping the fence on your right. after half? a mile is a gate on your right. pass through. this leads to postlip. when you eventually pass through all the gates and reach tarmac, turn right and climb through the farm yard. watch for dog!

carry on climbing until the path goes right and a gate is on your left, through left gate, decend on new track through gate, thru ford, climb steeply out. thru gate onto tarmac straight ahead. bear left, when you meet a t junction, do not decend as this dumps you into winchcombe. Turn right follow road for a mile or two. thru the s bends and keep an eye out on your left for the gate marked unsuitable, on a map it is bumblebee i think. Decend to bottom at gate where felled tree is turn right and begin to climb waterhatch, i believe it may be marked as a footpath but i have never met anyone who has had an issue. At top, about a mile or two of climbing later turn right you are now at roel gate.

And i am getting bored of righting this…..

ihope this gives some idea.

mrmo
    Free Member

from roel gate go straight on you are looking for the rupp at syreford above brockhampton. decend to bottom, turn right, take first right, follow road, keep eye out to right follow bridleway through steel gate next to wall on right, slightly secluded feeling. climb fields. at end when you reach tarmac turn right, keep eye out to left for farm track. It is marked and heads in direction of aggs on a map. follow this, the track does turn right after it has become grass, through the 5 bar gate decend. at bottom straight on( left is path to withington) climb to tarmac, a little bit of tarmac to the weird looking tree, a little bit straight on, on the right is a bridleway that passes along the edge of a small copse, this meets a tarmac track that turns to dirt at the meeting point. through the wooden gate climb the erroded rupp. past the Aggs hill MX quarry. at the top of the climb, on the left is a big stone lump turn left follow the track trying to keep in a straight line. you should reach a smallish gate, go through, in front is a small valley with the view over the vale to your left drop into valley bottom follow all the way till it meets a gravel track climb up, track continues round to the right but a small tracks branches to the left, follow this. at corner of field you should find a gate. through gate onto tarmac. turn left head for radio masts, through gate. Your back on Cleeve hill pick a direction you think the golf club house is in and aim for it.

And if you follow that lot without a guide or decent map….

lookmanohands
    Free Member

Leave cleeve well alone if it’s windy and head for cranham, just find a track and get lost in the woods 😯

simonb
    Free Member

Thanks MrMo for the instructions. I’ll probably get lost anyway but will look at the maps 😮

Where is Cranham is that near Birdlip?

lookmanohands
    Free Member

Yep, if you park in the pub car park in birdlip (kings head or something) then head towards out of the car park and turn right on the road then just as the road starts to go down turn left and go along the road for about 1/2 mile till you reach a couple of houses on your left, after the 2nd driveway there is a track on the right take that and enjoy……..

grahamh
    Free Member

Cleeve Hill, legal 😀
    Cranham, not legal 😕

lookmanohands
    Free Member

Guilty as charged! 😯

mrmo
    Free Member

Cleeve Hill, legal [:D]

remember the golf course…..

mikertroid
    Free Member

No mention of Leckhampton then??

mrmo
    Free Member

Keep off Leckhampton hill…. Local trails for local riders, we don’t want any rif raf from Cheltenham spoiling the trails.

🙂

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Cotswolds – Winchcombe/Cleeve Hill’ is closed to new replies.