Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Cotic X
  • powerofra

Anyone got a Cotic X?

Just moved to a new job and want a bike to commute on and explore some new trails.

The 105 build looks good but is worth spending the extra on the carbon fork and discs?

Any alternatives worth looking at? Size wise – 56cm at 5′ 10 and a bit?

Long shot but anyone got one of these around sheffield way I could swing a leg over?

Cheers

sefton
    Free Member

inst planet x near by?

Teetosugars
    Free Member

inst planet x near by?

That don’t sell Cotic…. 🙂

Cy himself is in Sheffield or nearby?

Maybe he’d let you try one for size if you picked yours up direct from him?

powerofra

Planet X’s Dirty Disco could be an option too.

Not sure carbon is the best idea for a commuter though.

Anyone tried one yet?

barn
    Free Member

I’ve got one. Bought off here. I put a carbon fork and disc on front but left canti on rear.
    Have ragged it round trails, done Cross sportives, ridden across France, commuted, towed trailers and generally thrown it around.
    It’s a brilliantly versatile bike. Not the best out and out crosser I’m sure, but it rides beautifully off road and is stable, comfortable and quick enough on Tarmac.
    It’s bullet proof. It’s stiff enough to carry more kit or offspring than you need.
    If I was only allowed two bikes, this would be one o them.
    When I get round to it I will post some pics and a review, but might delay as it looks like this forum is sponsored by Cotic at the moment!

Mines a 58 and I am 6 foot. Could have gone 56, but I like having a shorter stem.
    You’re welcome to a spin if you ever get near that London.

BadlyWiredDog

The 105 build looks good but is worth spending the extra on the carbon fork and discs?

I’ve ridden the Roadrat with the Cotic steel fork and it’s as harsh as summary justice, really quite solid, whereas the carbon fork on the X I tried rode fairly soft – makes a real difference off road. I didn’t really get on with the Tektro brakes on the X, I’m used to BB7s, which I think are better but cost a bunch more. So yes but…

I’d definitely go for the carbon fork, less convinced by the Tektro Lyras.

It’s also a bit slacker than a race(ish) cross bike, which you’ll either like or not. I kind of preferred something sharper steering, but it’s quite mountain biker friendly.

mattsccm
    Free Member

I have had one for just 12 months now and it great. It was meant as my rough stuff/woods bike but has been used as a road bike for 99% of its time. Mine came with carbon forks as standard so I have no comparisons but its far smoother than my old style Kaffenback. My main complaint is the limited tyre size. 42mm stated. I haven’t tried that yet as I am too tight to find out if they are too big or if something bigger would fit. I wanted a Singualar Peregrine but the small size I needed wasn’t avavilible and getting fed up of looking round I bought what my local dealer had. I don’t regret it but would still get something that could be a monster cross as well.
    Points to consider are the twin bottle cages on the down tube and none on the seat tube. Cotic say its because the latter would be a pin on a race bike. Hmm who would buy one to seriously race as they aren’t light and also who would then carry two bottle racing . Admitedly mine is only a 54 cm but I can’t use anything bigger than standard size bottles with 2 cages fitted. Check the hole in the BB for athread if you want to fit guards as mine wan’t threaded. Cotic just said it was a factory error that they were sorting. Actually the lack of a small cross member across the chainstay does make fitting guards hard which is at odds with the eyes else where.
    Finally if you are not fitting discs there are plenty of other CX bikes that are lighter and cheaper or buy a nice steel tourer if you want steel. Finally I reckon a Tricross would be better value for money.
    Mine was built as a F&F only with Campag kit that was kicking around. I have Lyras but don’t know if they are good as I haven’t used BB7s.

vegasdave
    Free Member

I bought mine last November,56 cm,carbon forks and discs. I’m 5′ 10″ and it fits perfectly. All I’ve done is stick Rocket Rons on it and raised the bars a bit.
    I use it mainly off road great fun. I live in Stoke if you’re ever over this way,you’re welcome to have a spin.

GaryLake
    Free Member

mattsccm: 40C Smart Sams go in fine.

powerofra

Thanks chaps – good info.

Just been to find the off-road part of the route to work and parts are quite tricky so i think discs are a must.

Will try to get a play on the cotic and head to Rotherham too to have a look at the dirty disco.

Cheers

boxelder

You only need a front disc. Get the carbon fork and cantis, then buy a BB7. Works for me on a Planet X frame – commuting, play, 3 peaks.

mattsccm
    Free Member

Gary, does that leave room or are they tight?

thesurfbus
    Free Member

I am 6ft with a 58cm frame, could probably got away with a 56cm.
    I have the carbon forks with BB5 disc brakes, its great fun and regularly gets used when I got to GT or up the Pentlands.
    I had Lyras on another bike, and they didn’t have as much power as the BB5s and also felt really spongy.
    My only criticism is the lack of space for the rear disc, I have an XT hub with an XTR 140mm centrelock disc, and there is about 1mm clearance between the edge of the disc and the chainstay. Maybe its my hub/disc combination.

GaryLake
    Free Member

matt, you’d struggle for clearance in a boggy cross race, but should be fine for general riding. It is tight. My front wheel was out of true but been riding round on 35c tyres for ages like that. 40c is enough to foul the fork so can’t ride it until I get it straightened out 😳

mattsccm
    Free Member

Hmm , so the claimed 42mm isn’t really an option. 🙁
    I guess I should have hung on for the Peregrine.
    Its still a nice bike though. Maybe its just a reason to add another bike to the stable.
    Just thinking about a set of Hope V twins

blaggers
    Free Member

Did some measuring of the clearance on front carbon fork with 40c smart sams, and here’s approx 3mm clearance per side. My fork is also out of true, it’s not the wheels though as I’ve checked the dishing, so may have to adjust the wheels to match he forks out of symmetry.

rOcKeTdOg

The new frames fit a 160 disc on the back don’t they?

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Cotic X’ is closed to new replies.