Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Cotic Soul advice please
  • tommy19
    Free Member

Hi im embarking on my first build but am in need of a little advice, i have just purchased a cotic soul frame and im planning on building it up with slx components, for starters what gearing e.g. 2×9, 2×10, 3×9 or 3×10?
    also which models of slx derailleur would i need for the soul?
    cheers

chiefgrooveguru

Totally personal preference – what do you use now? I ran 2×9, then 1×9, now 1×10. Others use 3×9, 2×10 and 2×10. You need a top pull front mech with the shims to fit a 28.4mm seat tube.

tommy19
    Free Member

well i will probabley go 3×9 as its what i usually ride also doesnt have to be slx if anyone has any better suggestions? model numbers would be a bonus to
    cheers

blahblahblah
    Free Member

You could run any of those gear setups on your bike no problem. It really depends on your commonly ridden trails, fitness, personal prefernce etc. as to which is ‘best’ for you.

I personally have a 2011 3 x 10 SLX groupset on my Soul and the good news is that it has been excellent. Living in Scotland I do choose to tackle some steep climbs and I am certain that the 3 x 10 setup was the correct choice. I use the 22 and 32 rings quite a lot and the 42 a bit. I like to keep my chainline pretty optimal and shifting onto the 22 regularly helps me do this. I also like to spin a faily high cadence in the saddle to climb, rather than stand a power up things.

The seat tube is 28.6mm OD but the Shimano front derailleurs come in one size – 34.9mm. You therefore need to use a specifice spacer to space the clamp down for smaller seat tubes. When I ordered my derailleur it did not come with any spacers, I therefore tracked down of my own from a mate who had some spare.

Hope that helps a bit!

tommy19
    Free Member

????

reggiegasket
    Free Member

My advice would be to go for 1×9 or 1×10 with a chainguide.

danti

Have a look at rosebikes.co.uk for cheap Shimano kit.

tommy19
    Free Member

1×10 sounds like a viable option what crankset would you go for with that set up?

blahblahblah
    Free Member

I bought this:

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/shimano-slx-m660-front-derailleur-for-triple-chainset/

and used this adaptor:

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/shimano-m510-band-adapter-286mm/

If you use the top pivot version:

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/shimano-slx-m661-front-derailleur-for-triple-chainset/

then the front mech mount interferes with one of the bottle mounts on the frame as evidenced here:

TimCotic
    Free Member

It’s a lovely bike – put some gears on that will get you up the big hills without having to suffer the humiliation of pushing. Fits a 120mm bolt-thru fork, some nice wheels (stans tubeless) and a pair of Hope Minis (or whatever they call ’em these days) You’ll be laughing!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Cotic Soul advice please’ is closed to new replies.