Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Converting from Drops to flats/risers
  • grunty
    Free Member

Can some one give me some advice on what i require to convert as Spesh TriCross Double with drop bars (2×8) to flat/riser bars.

I using this bike for commuting and I am finding the 420 wide bars far too twitchy in the traffic. much prefer the more upright position when riding.

Cheers.

Stuart

bassspine
    Free Member

don't do it. It's a very expensive job. New shifters will be the most costly bit, possibly a new front mech. Which brakes has it got, sometimes you'll need to change the brakes to work with flat bar brake levers. Plus cost of bars, maybe a new stem, new cables obviously…

steve_b77
    Free Member

Perhaps offering a swap to someone with a flatbarred commuter would be a better idea?

grunty
    Free Member

time to flog it and look for flat bar commuter then!

IA

Too twitchy? Man up! Or drink less coffee…

How long have you had it? Long enough to get used to drops? Takes a while

How long a stem do you have on it?

(i ride a tricross single everyday, through a city, no bother here…)

bassspine
    Free Member

you might miss the ninth gear though, ton 🙂

ton

op states 2×8 8)

thomthumb
    Free Member

try some wider drops first? salsa bell laps look good.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

you need:

– a 8spd right shifter. Doesn't need to flat-bar specific – any mtb shifter will work with any road mech, of the same speed (LX, XT etc.)

– a flat bar left shifter (SL-R440) OR and mtb left shifter. The SL-R440 is better, as it has less cable pull so is snappier and easier to set up, but you can get the mtb shifter to work using the limit screws (click 3 = big ring, click 2 = small ring, then use the low limit screw to stop it overshifting when you drop onto the small ring)

– cantilever/BMX brake levers. Not V brake levers, as they pull to much cable.

– a flat/riser bar and bar ends, if you like, and grips, obviously. I wouldn't go much wider than 50cm though.

Some people like drops, some don't. That's just the way it is.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Converting from Drops to flats/risers’ is closed to new replies.