Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Conditions at Thrunton
  • wenanwhere
    Free Member

Hi all,

I think there’s a fair few guys who ride at Thrunton on here? If you’ve been up to the woods recently you’ll have seen that the trails are getting really badly cut up. I’ve never seen some parts so bad, not sure if this is down to the weather or increased usage, probably a bit of both.

Obviously you can tell me to do one, free world and all, but would really appreciate it if people could keep usage of the stuff in the trees to a minimum (preferably avoiding all together), otherwise I think the damage would be unfixable without a massive amount of work 🙁

Please feel to drop me an email to discuss

Cheers

Matt

carbon337
    Free Member

Can’t see anyone riding anything up there for a while yet Matt but know what you mean about getting all cut up. Did you take a look up the crag end? V1/2 etc? Wonder how they are fairing.

wenanwhere
    Free Member

Nope not been up there, just went for a spin a couple of weeks ago and as soon as I realised I’d make things worse I packed it in. Spread the word if you know others that ride there and dont come on here etc.

seanodav
    Free Member

Hi Carl, last time i was up with Alan we did v1+v2, they are ok actually except the entrance to v2, the bit after the clearing. very very slippy!

Edit: but looking outside today think its all unridable 🙄

nodrog2
    Free Member

Thrunton is great but won’t be riding there til the spring now. The trails need a rest. Will spread the word.

angryratio
    Free Member

Was up a few weeks back. Stuff was chewed up then.
    Like nodrog2 i will be avoiding till the spring.

Drac

If your going up this weekend take a sledge, went by there last night and there’s about 2 feet of snow.

I always avoid Thrunton in the winter as it gets chewed up anyway being so peaty. A good snow fall like this helps return the trails to their rocky state. The built trails though are getting so much use and as they’re ust carved through the trees don’t fair well to the erosion.

Sadly Thrunton has become a victim to it’s self since these trails appeared. It’s so popular now it never gets a chance to recover.

wenanwhere
    Free Member

cheers guys

carbon337
    Free Member

Apparently some guys have been doing a bit building in simonside. I went on a recci but couldn’t find anything. It actually looks a better forest for trail building. Bigger steeper and a more rocky base. Would be good to have a winter alternative to Thrunton. Where you all riding? Cheviots are just wet muddy hills at this time of year.

wenanwhere
    Free Member

Not sure on whats happening at Simonside, whoever it is would be best to engage with the FC early though to make sure its all by the book etc. Generally will probably do more trail centre stuff over winter, lakes/peaks rocky stuff is also a good start as doesnt get as boggy in those parts.

toons
    Free Member

Mat (m.d.jones217) was that you on my flickr ?

Xylene
    Free Member

I was speaking to somebody at Ride recently about the Simonside routes.

They sound interesting.

Where is good for winter riding around Northumberland, if Thrunton is to be left to recover?

wenanwhere
    Free Member

Toons, Yeh was me on flickr, lots of cool pics but saw the muddy bog on one of the pics and reminded me to send out the word (meant to send something round after last time I was up).

Quirrel, try rothbury, very good riding 🙂

GEDA
    Free Member

I would doubt you could do anything ‘official’ on Simonside . There were some trails made and then they got FC’d as they were not official. I would just wait until the snow goes away and it is frosty and frozen.

GEDA
    Free Member

Do you have to have very strong arms to do the good riding around Rothbury?

toons
    Free Member

Just ride the fire roads at Thrunton and the track up from the dh stuff or the very secret stuff nobody knows about 😉

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Conditions at Thrunton’ is closed to new replies.