Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Compression/rebound tune for RP23 shock – what does it mean?!
  • woodywoodbine
    Free Member

I'm looking to lighten up my Giant Reign X a bit replacing the big heavy DHX3 coil shock for an RP23. Seem to be a lot knocking about on ebay but I know there are three levels of rebound/compression tune on the shock and these seem to change depending on bike manufacturer, suspension design etc…

I'm a total novice at this. Have I got this right, and what tune should I be looking for for a Reign X (Maestro system, basically VPP, 170mm travel)?

molgrips
    Free Member

There's a wide range of rebound adjustment. The P23 bit of the name means that you can turn propedal on or off, and there are three settings. So you can flick the switch to on or off, but you have to select whether or not on means level 1, 2 or 3 if you know what I mean.

I think for different bikes they set 1 2 and 3 to be different levels of damping.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

There's a wide range of rebound adjustment. The P23 bit of the name means that you can turn propedal on or off, and there are three settings. So you can flick the switch to on or off, but you have to select whether or not on means level 1, 2 or 3 if you know what I mean.

I think for different bikes they set 1 2 and 3 to be different levels of damping.

Sorry mate but you don't understand the question! 🙂

It's not about the ADJUSTMENT, it's about the operating perameters of that adjustment, if you like. Look on your shock and you'll see some little bars indicating the tune of the shock. The basic operating perameters of the shock are internally tuned for different bikes.

I know there are three levels of rebound/compression tune on the shock and these seem to change depending on bike manufacturer, suspension design etc…

Spot on!
    You need to find somone with the same fram, or contact the manufacturer for the correct info
    Oh, I'd imagine Mojo would know, too 🙂

titusrider
    Free Member

someone pass molgrips the other end of the stick…..

thepodge
    Free Member

If you are a total novice, I wouldn't be buying one off ebay. there is a whole host of other issues to take into account.

retro83
    Free Member

I went from a medium/medium tune to a medium/light (rebound) tune and it made the bike interesting to ride. Even with the slowest setting it's still a lot faster than the medium tuning was.

My advice would be to find one that matches the OE spec, or failing that go for medium!

That said, you can always send it of to TF/Mojo to have the shims/ports fiddled about with if you find you need it slower/faster than the adjusters allow.

molgrips
    Free Member

EDIT: Oh now I get it.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

there is a whole host of other issues to take into account

Eye to Eye length
    Stroke length
    Mounting hardware
    Shock compression/rebound and possibly Propedal tune.

That's really all there is to worry about.
    The first 2 you can measure, the second you can buy to fit, and the third you can research…! 🙂

grumm
    Free Member

I'd probably just stick with a coil shock on that bike…

LoCo
    Free Member

Eye to eye 7.875/ 200mm and stroke 2.250/ 57mm.
    Rebound tune medium.
    Compression medium/hard as the leverage is quite high on that frame.

I'd be inclined to keep the coil and get it custom tuned and maybe a ti spring for a bit of weight reduction, both of which I can help you out with 😉

anjs
    Free Member

yes I think giant use non standard sized Fox shocks, well they do on the trance X anyway.

LoCo
    Free Member

200 by 57 is a standard size.

anjs
    Free Member

Well the trance X uses a 185 x45 one.

alex222
    Free Member

you want the first level of compression tune and the rebound tune it doesn't really matter. Although mine is the second rebound tune.

LoCo
    Free Member

sorry meant the one on the Reign Woodbine had posted about 😀

woodywoodbine
    Free Member

Thanks for the tips folks. I know the shock length and stroke length I need (200 x 57) and I know I'll need to fit the right mounting hardware, just wanted to make sure I'd buy a shock not be saddled with something tuned completely wrongly.

Thanks for the tip on tunes LoCo – I'm pretty light (10st wet through) so I reckon i'll get away with a medium compression tune which makes it medium all round – I guess a good starting point for stock after market shocks I guess.

Will probably keep the coil shock for more heavy duty riding (occaisionally ride at Ft William for example) but wanted to give a lighter air shock a go for less hardcore applications.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Compression/rebound tune for RP23 shock – what does it mean?!’ is closed to new replies.