Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • compressing pdf files
  • antigee

[dull&possiblynumpty]have scanned a shed load of docs that i need to email have converted to PDF’s using the software that come bundled with Epson scanner – doesn’t seem to have any options

– some 2 page docs are 4-5MB and won’t email sit in outbox labelled “huge”
    tried zip central and then winrar and even using best compress only compress a few %
    any ideas – only soln i can see so far is buying acrobat which allows you to open and resave a lower resolution version
    thanks [/dull dull dull]

Ladders
    Free Member

If sending is the only problem, try sending it using this site

https://www.wetransfer.com/

woody2000

Quick google found this? Might be dodgy as though! 🙂

http://docupub.com/pdfcompress/

clubber
    Free Member

Different method to achieve what you want.

Download CutePDF – it creates a dummy printer to which you can print your files. It’ll then create a PDF of the print. This should compress the file size by making it appropriate to the size you’re printing.

xcgb
    Free Member

Is there a mac equivalent of cute?, I could use that!

MSP

You probably just need to lower the resolution your scanning the documents in at.

AnyExcuseToRide
    Free Member

XCGB – macs have a whole load of pdf options built in to the operating system, you can do quite a bit without needing any apps.

surely even if you are not connected to a printer you can still print to pdf as you’re not actually printing anything physically?

xcgb
    Free Member

Anus (i feel quite dirty typing that) I know, but i receive very large PDFs (500mb +) that I have to send of as proofs and it can be a pain getting them small enough especially when the images already have compression on

I work in the grand format printing trade (we wrap buildings and such)

antigee

thanks got it – Clubber set me thinking i have cutepdf but stopped using it when installed office 2007 as you can save pdf’s in this directly

cutepdf halved the file sizes which for mulipages was still a prob

anyway scanned as .jpg’s before converting so i had saved those and i guess could reduce resolution (f’ing epson software doesn’t let you do this when you are scanning)

anyway copy and paste the jpg to word – save as : pdf for web publishing and job done about 10% ofsize resolution is crap but surprising ok for the end user

Dobbo

Right click on file or folder -> Send To -> Compressed Folder.

tonyplym
    Free Member

If you’ve got something like Photoshop you could Open the PDF file, then adjust the image resolution before saving it.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘compressing pdf files’ is closed to new replies.