Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 83 total)
  • Comparable to a Cotic Soul?
  • grittyshaker
    Free Member

Insurance paid out on my stolen Orange Five and I’m interested in a Soul. Is there anything else in the “do it all” steel hardtail category I should be looking at?

Would tend to build up for trail riding rather than particularly burly or racy.

Mackem

Ive always liked my Orange P7.

bigrich

nope.

grittyshaker
    Free Member

I have an old (mid 90s, pre long travel geometry) P7 with Pace RC36s and still love it. Looking for something with a more modern geometry and disk compatible. A bit more ragable.

Miss my Five but it was probably too much bike for most of my riding and I was forever wondering whether the shock was too firm/soft etc. Now, with a small child, I need something I can throw a leg over without fuss.

matt_outandabout

Uh huh. Sanderson Breath or Life. £300 Cheaper than a Soul as well fromTheBikeChain in Edinburgh, A very few mm difference here and there on the geometry, loving it so far.

Where did the singletrack go? by matt_outandabout, on Flickr

jruk
    Free Member

I bought my Soul because there was something about it that reminded me of my early 90s Bonty RaceLite – fast, comfy, strong, light (enough) and durable. And I’ve got to say, it’s fooking ace.

If you want a classic steel frame in a modern guise you’ll love the Soul. You can even fit forks that work in the cold 🙂

Leku
    Free Member

http://www.bikescene.co.uk/Orange-R8-Frame-3977-107-0.html

Orange R8 Frame £350

but I have a Soul and love it…

bobfromkansas
    Free Member

it’s the only bike that i own that i’d replace if it broke, everything else would get changed.

slimjim78
    Free Member

Ive ridden lots of bikes and tend to be very fickle, changing them with the seasons.
    I honestly believe the quest for the ‘right’ bike ended when I finally splashed out on my Soul.
    On the very first ride I realised what the fuss was about. Impeccable handling, responsive, skips over obstacles, loads of standover, strong.
    I love it.

I thought long and hard about the Sanderson Breath/Scion, but ran the risk of being a sheep instead. This time theres a reason for the hype.

manitou
    Free Member

What is the obsession with this brand?.. bit like early 90’s Kona’s

bobfromkansas
    Free Member

No obsession. Just works.

colournoise

manitou – Member
    What is the obsession with this brand?.. bit like early 90’s Kona’s

Haven’t long been a Cotic owner (got my BFe a couple weeks ago), but I reckon like what I read about old school steel Konas, the Cotic steel bikes just FEEL right.

slainte ❓ rob

zokes
    Free Member

Comparable to a Cotic Soul?

Nothing

it’s the only bike that i own that i’d replace if it broke, everything else would get changed.

This!

Mine just feels right. Can’t really put my finger on it, but it is, put simply, the bike I’ve most enjoyed riding in years. I’ve now had it for 3 years, and can’t imagine wanting to replace it for a long time yet.

bigrich

reggiegasket
    Free Member

I agree with all that has been said about the Soul. I have one and it is excellent.

However, I actually prefer my BFe! If you can live with the extra weight then the Bfe is everything the Soul is but can take more hammer downhill. For rides less than 2 hours, the Bfe is a better tool, for me.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Souls definitely have a strong and loyal following. You might also consider a Dialed Prince Albert, limited edition 853 “Classic” just launched. If you want something a bit more chuckable there is the BFe from Cotic too.

slimjim78
    Free Member

What is the obsession with this brand?

have you ridden one?

in a nutshell:

853 = great feel, spring, weight savings
    great geometry = great handling
    great details (wishbone stay etc)= great look, cable routing etc
    british = cool
    orange paint = best colour for a bike
    finish = better than most cheapo’s

The whole package just rides so well, it inspires confidence and feels strong yet spritely.

bfe also sounds good, doubt I could justify the hardcore nature though, im a plodder not a superstar.

chrispy

I got a soul a couple months ago after having an orange five for a couple of years and I haven’t touched the five since. The soul is an amazing frame and I’m riding everything on it just as fast as I would with the five. I’m keeping hold of the orange for light DH duties now, but for anything XC it will always be on the soul.

coldhams1
    Free Member

I have had a carbon 456 for a year after a steel and titanium hard tail and a whyte 46. Can honestly say the c456 is the best handling of the bunch and is really comfortable. I looked at the soul when I bought it but the lighter weight really appealed to me. I run. Float 140 with shimono mt15 wheels ( cheap but suprisingly good) and full xt and it come up nice and light.

EhWhoMe

Soul Owner here of 4 years..

They are just brilliant .. cant say exactly what it is so i just assume its everything…

I always thought before buying that all the blah was just fan boy talk and just thought it will be a nice bike… 😆 guess im a fan boy now..

whats wierd though is that i seem to like it more and more as time goes by where normally i get used to stuff and stop appreciating why i liked it in the first place.. so maybe these things really do have a Soul after all….

Get one Now…. you will have it for years…
    the fact that they are also the best looking steel Hard Tail on earth also helps

soulwood
    Free Member

As already said above, nothing is comparable to a Soul other than a Soul. Weirdly the last good bike I owned (realised after selling it and trying loads of other bikes) was a 1992 Kona Explosif with rigid P2 forks. Early interviews with Cy revealed that he based the Soul on the very same model and tweaked it. The last time I went for a blast on my Soul I was clearing huge rooty sections at speed and making small adjustments in position and the bike just seemed to be connected to me, a part of me. I don’t beleive the Soul is overpriced. What I like about it is that if you look hard enough on the net you will find enough interviews with Cy and enough detailed tech breakdown that explains why every single part of the Soul is designed the way it is. You won’t get that with any other cheaper 853 frame available on the market.

If you appreciate steel frames it is the best frame out there. Even better than custom built, because at the end of the day the builder is either going to build just what you want, or will think he knows better than you. In my mind Cy has spent a considerable amount of time researching bikes and knows best.

LenBuch
    Free Member

Another Orange 5 owner here – two months with a Soul and I haven’t stopped grinning!!! Haven’t ridden the 5 either for that time – although it is good as well 🙂

Frankers
    Free Member

I had a 853 Inbred (now sold) and have been riding a Soul for around 2years, to be honest they were very similar and I struggled to find much difference in the ride between the two.

Only thing I could say is that the sizing with Cotic is better for me as I suit a 19″ frame, whereas with the 18″ Inbred I always seemed to have too much post showing.

Also the Soul has a much better finish.

EhWhoMe

wierd .. i also loved my early 90’s Kona Explosif and its the only bike ive ever regretted selling .. i didnt know that Cy had developed it based on those ..
    so i guess that means i actually know what i like without realising what it is that i actually like…i think anyway 😕

ska-49
    Free Member

How about a pipedream Sirus or Scion ?
    They are also made from 853 with nice geo & slightly cheaper.
    Also more rare to see, if you like that sort of thing.

metalheart
    Free Member

Hmm, there seems to be a common thread through all this… I too had a Kona Explosif (mid 90’s). I loved that bike and not just because I did my best riding on it. It got nicked and I still miss it.

The Soul feels a lot like how I remember it but updated for todays riding. I love it, its a no nonsense bike that just feel right. There’s a lot of people who have been a little wary of the ‘hype’ but been happy enough with the results when they got one…

Soul G1 by Sofaboy TT, on Flickr

Go on, you know you want to really….

blahblahblah
    Free Member

My Soul has a 2011 Revelation up front. This combination has led to nearly perfect weight balance in the bike. As a result it handles exceptionally predictably, espcially when lauching off drops and jumps.

That combined with the compliant ride and perfect geometry means the bike practically rides itself. I regularly am shocked when I ride obstacles that I consider at the top of my ability, and the bike just makes them feel so simple. It’s a ridiculously good bike.

soulwood
    Free Member

I owned a Mk1 Soul for 6 years, no complaints. I then got a lot of money and it burned a hole in my pocket so I bought an FS. I loved it and sold my trusty old Soul. I always found myself comparing my FS, which was easily three to four times more expensive, to my old Soul. When the FS bust I was kind of secretly glad to have an excuse to get a Soul back. Now I will never sell my Soul again!

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

They are good, cracking geometry which most people tend to spoil by fitting overly long forks.

dukeduvet

Get a Soul. I spent ages researching longer travel steel hardtails but I only ever really wanted a Soul.

Mine seems to be in the air all the time of the slightest thing. Corners on rails.

Funny but it was after getting a Kona Kilauea for a commuter, then riding it off road that led me to a Soul.

One alternative you might like is the Genesis Latitude 853, a bit cheaper but still 853 and near the Soul on weight

DIS

Only just joined the ‘soul club’, really pleased with it. One nice touch is the replaceable rear hanger, which is unusual for steel frame. Only ridden a couple of times but already know this a frame i will not be changing (unless it brakes i will get another!)

mattjg
    Free Member

What’s your set up David, and what do you ride on it?

mattjg
    Free Member

@OP – I have a CEN Soul and am very happy with it. I can’t advise you on alternatives because I didn’t ride any. I decided I wanted a new Ti HT, settled on a Soda, decided they were too expensive and bought a Soul. There’s enough momentum behind the thing, and enough people on here who love them, that it’s hard for it to be a wrong decision.

That’s not to say there aren’t other frames out there just as good, there probably are. But who has time to try them all properly? It’s not even viable really for the average punter to try out a bunch of steel frames on a like-for-like build.

If you’re near Surrey and 5’8″ less you’re welcome to try it.

Telemaster18
    Free Member

I’m thinking about getting a piglet frame, have any of you Soul owners tried a piglet to compare? Will I be stupid in not saving more to afford the soul???

slimjim78
    Free Member

I had a 853 Inbred (now sold) and have been riding a Soul for around 2 years, to be honest they were very similar and I struggled to find much difference in the ride between the two.

I also own an Inbred 853 (s/s) and I love it to bits. It doesnt turn in as sharp as the Soul but matches it in most other areas. I agree that the finish isnt as good as a Soul.
    If you want to ride twisty trails the Soul wins hands down, but for some reason I love the Inbred so much that I wont ever sell it either.

To OP, as above, if youre near Surrey youre welcome to try mine (19″).

mattjg
    Free Member

You would not be stupid buying a Soul but I’m sure you would not be stupid buying a Piglet either.

I betr you’d have as much fun on either.

slimjim78
    Free Member

there’s alot to be said for a cheaper build that does the job.

if youre keen on a sprinkling of ‘je ne sais quoi’, then its worth saving.

LapSteel
    Free Member

I currently ride a standard Inbred and often yearn for a Soul……has anyone ridden both? Is there that much difference?

EhWhoMe

LapSteel,

Yes I Had a 456 Inbred for a few months and thought it was terrible,

It just felt like a lump, dead to pedal dead to ride uninspiring to own… it was just Tubes welded together IMO.. i was very dissapointed with it,granted it was only £140 so ya get what ya pay for but i could really tell i was riding a very cheap bike which of course it was , when i got the Soul it just highlighted how poor the inbred was in every way….lots of folk love them so just my 2p..
    Value for money wise i sold the inbred for £80 so it cost me £60 for a few months , i still have the Soul after 4 years and will keep it until it die’s “if it ever does” so its been way better value for money for me and would instantly buy another should the need arise..

jambalaya
    Free Member

Telemaster18I’m thinking about getting a piglet frame, have any of you Soul owners tried a piglet to compare? Will I be stupid in not saving more to afford the soul???

FWIW I looked at Pig/Piglet and opted for a BFe, same money.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 83 total)

The topic ‘Comparable to a Cotic Soul?’ is closed to new replies.