Viewing 12 posts - 81 through 92 (of 92 total)
  • Commuting distance question (job hating content)
  • stillfallingoff
    Free Member

Hey OMITN, my hubby made the move from private practice to in house a couple of years ago & it saved his sanity, he was soooo unhappy in practice. He now has an 80+mile daily commute across Scotland, but it was a couple of years before it started to really get him down, & the in-house hours are so much better than private practice (he really genuinely works 8.30 – 5.30, its amazing!!)that I dont see that much less of him. He does drive into Glasgow (about 20mins), then take the train over to Edinburgh (about 55mins ,depending on how scotrail are feeling), then a 15min walk to the office. The train is the only thing that made it possible, he would have been a wreck if he had to drive it, but with a crackberry he can get a load of work done before he gets in the office on a morning, then chill out & read singletrack on the way home! We were planning to move to the other side of Glasgow to reduce his commute but make mine still do-able, till the housing market ground to a halt, but they're letting him work a 9day fortnight instead now so all is good. If it's the right job you can find a way to make it work!!

nbt

SOrry guys, I'm not going to make it, the logistics just aren;t working out 🙁

miketually
    Free Member

SOrry guys, I'm not going to make it, the logistics just aren;t working out

That's a shame. See you at HTN in Feb?

nbt

I'll be there with camera and beer, yes. Will you be on your sponsored bike?

miketually
    Free Member

Will you be on your sponsored bike?

Not sure when I'm getting it yet. It's "very singlespeed" though – Brant, when he does Brant and doesn't wobble worrying about how it'll be received : http://dabr.co.uk/status/6174491534

ourmaninthenorth

stillfallingoff – that's interesting to know.

Though the potential commute – if I get the job – is hefty, and the work itself will be tough, ultimately in-house is where I need to get to, and private practice is where I need to get from.

TBH, if I worked sensible hours, the only extra time added to my day would be getting up and hour earlier – when times were busy, and I was doing deals until they came out of my ears, I used to consider leaving work at 8pm to be an early finish. So, if I was to get this job and get home at 8, that would be much the same effect.

I'm looking into the train. An obvious destination is Wolverhampton station and then another 8 miles, but that asusmes the other 8 miles are rideable. Blackberry, though a PITA a lot of the time, is also a really useful tool for working on the train.

samuri
    Free Member

Blackberry, though a PITA a lot of the time, is also a really useful tool for working on the train.

It's good for quick responses but you can't beat a laptop for getting proper work on the train IMO. And all the virgin trains have wireless on board now. How about a little 10 inch notebook?

stillfallingoff
    Free Member

Hi again, the only downside I would say to working so far from home is if it is really busy you cant just 'pop into the office for a cple of hours' on a weekend, but, if they'll sort out VPN access for you it's no hassle, & then you're set up to organise an occasional working from home day too. Hubby found the work quite challenging init, but he was moving from com prop rather than corporate, the thing he likes most is the lack of external clients, internal clients can be told their plan is stupid! Good luck with it.

ourmaninthenorth

How about a little 10 inch notebook?

For the cash on offer, they can pay.

if it is really busy you cant just 'pop into the office for a cple of hours' on a weekend

A terrible activity at the best of times. These days, the weekends are my own, and I'd rather not change that.

Going to have to work hard at getting this job. Must sort out (1) haircut and (2) new shoes..!

Handsomedog
    Free Member

The mrs has just got a 10" netbook. Well impressive, much better than a blackberry.

And the 8 miles could easily be accomplished with a folding bicycle.

ourmaninthenorth

And the 8 miles could easily be accomplished with a folding bicycle.

I was thinking this.

I'll find out after Wednesday next week (and hopefully another interview the week after) whether I need to consider such investments.

miketually
    Free Member

Downside: long commute
    Upside: an excuse to buy another bike!

Good to meet you (and xherbivorex) yesterday, even though I've caught some sort of Manchester lurgy.

Viewing 12 posts - 81 through 92 (of 92 total)

The topic ‘Commuting distance question (job hating content)’ is closed to new replies.