Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Commuter Video Cams – advise please?
  • speaker2animals

Well after the experiences of my last 5 rides I’ve decided that one of those cams that London commuters seem to be using may not be a bad idea.

I have been sceptical previously but sadly after yesterday’s experience I feel it may now be necessary. I really would have liked to be able to report yesterday’s incident but I was so flummoxed that I didn’t get the car reg.

Can anyone point me in the direction of these cams?
    ? My understanding is they aren’t the GoPro type but a pretty small unit that just has an internal memory you can download if needed.

Ta

speaker2animals

Bump up! Have found a couple but no info on run time.It would be nice if it ran continuously. Some reviews mention having to restart recording periodically.

project
    Free Member

Have a look at 7dayshop.com

i have a veho and also one of the cyclinder ones that looks like a torch, run time about 3 hours, dependant on card size, they re record over what your filmesd, so get a big card, comes with recharge plug, bike mount and also usb cable for computer charge.

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

I’ve just bought an “ACT20 HD” from eBay (item number 320887938186. £45 delivered and didn’t get picked up for VAT/customs charges). Added a 16gb card from 7DayShop.

I thought I’d maybe try it as a commuter cam and use it offroad to see if I can justify a GoPro.

Pros –
    Works. Has ‘commuter’ mode where it records 20 min segments until card is full then overwrites oldest.
    Good ‘form factor’ – better than GoPro IMO for helmet use. Supposed to be water resistant enough for rain
    Fits (just) an Exposure Joystick helmet mount (it’s a little large but seems solid. Not sure if a joystick will be safe in the mount afterwards).

Cons –
    Video obviously isn’t GoPro quality – it’s AVI not h.264 format so compression is pretty heavy and you can see some blocking, esp in lower light. Having tried it on the road I understand why people read out registrations.
    AVI format video needs to be converted (easy to do using free utilities) before import to iMovie.

speaker2animals

Cheers boys I’ll have a butcher’s at your recommendations.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Commuter Video Cams – advise please?’ is closed to new replies.