Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Commencal Cracks – Paint or frame?
  • justal
    Free Member

I've noticed some cracks in an odd place on my 2009 Commencal Meta 5.5. They appear to radiate out from a drainage hole on the underside of the rear swing-arm brace.

I'm not sure if they are cracks in the paint or the frame itself. It seems an odd place for cracks to appear. Has anyone else seen cracks like this on their Commencal, what are peoples opinions, paint or frame? Do I need to get it looked at properly?

Al.

Mister-P
    Free Member

I have spoken to the Commencal warranty chaps and they have not seen one like that before. A proper look is a good idea.

Buzzlightyear
    Free Member

Ive had 3 metas and have never seen a crack in that location, most of the cracks on metas were on the welds.

Its not in a location that can be seen so why not rub the paint down?

BigJohn

I think you got the S in the wrong place in the title.

It should be Commencals Crack.

letmetalktomark

As painful as it would be to do a drop of notromors would take of the paint needed without risking sanding back and smoothing a potential crack.

But it does seem a strange place for a crack to occur 😕

jools182
    Free Member

I'm taking a guess at water getting under the paint somehow and expanding when cold

odd place for a crack though

hora
    Free Member

Personally I'd just monitor it.

However if you are concerned and it is under warranty- phone them, say you want to clear paint from around the area and would this be ok to avoid sending it back. It might invalidate your warranty if you start nitromoresing the frame

Otherwise- dissemble and just send back the rear triangle for inspection.

wwaswas

I'd do what Mister P said.

If the importers say 'get it looked at properly' then I'd get it looked at properly…

hora
    Free Member

If the importers say 'get it looked at properly' then I'd get it looked at properly…

Yes if it its a crack and its one of those 'wierd never seen that before'….it could also be the visible part of a longer crack that stretches around under the paint. Get it sorted properly.

justal
    Free Member

Cheers everyone… It is 18 months old. I take it they only have a 1 year warranty in which case there is little I can do.

I'll give Merlin a ring as I bought it from them and see what they recommend. Otherwise I guess it is just a case of monitoring it to see what it does.

Al.

wwaswas

justal – the warranty dept at the Commencal importers say you need to get it inspected – I think you ought to do that rather than just 'monitor'…

hora
    Free Member

Get it sent to them. If alu goes it can really let go.

Ever walked back from the further point out on a ride?

justal
    Free Member

Cheers, I've sent an e-mail to the Commencal Warranty dept.

merlin said it takes a while to get a response though.

@wwaswas how are you contacting them and getting info from them?

Al.

justal
    Free Member

Commencal have offered me the 2010 Meta 5 Pro Frame (Red with black graphics) which they can send today rather than the 2010 Team Frame (White with Green graphics) that won't be available until the end of October. I don't think there's any difference other than colour is there?

If not I guess I should go with that – Although I do prefer the look of the white and green one.

Al.

stew1982
    Free Member

The white frame is nicer looking! – have you got an alternative ride while you wait?

justal
    Free Member

Not really, just an old Rockhopper Hard Tail – White does look nicer but if they are the same then they will ride the same and I'll have it a month earlier.

Al.

iamtheresurrection

Might have a good solution… If you're a medium, ping me an email

Cheers

Craig

ftr1873
    Free Member

I was out the other day and met a guy with a Meta 5, he had a crack in the same place and was waiting on warranty, he was still riding it mind. I'm still on a 2006 version and it has been fine so I don't know what happened with the later ones.

peachos
    Free Member

the chainstay on my norco cracked in a very similar place to this. definitely some kind of stress fracture, the way it protrudes evenly in all directions. been replaced under warranty, but didn't get the whole new frame i was hoping for 😥

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

I broke my '09 Meta 5 earlier this year.
    The '10 frame is noticibly better build and paint quality (a reputation to rebuild)

At the time, '10 frame were in short supply so I pestering every few days for an update. Eventually I got hold of a bloke (Jack) at Madison who manages the Commencal warranties. He seemed to be the guy who could make decisions. He stripped down a complete bike to send me the frame.
    Might be worth asking.

Lifer
    Free Member

My 08 Meta 5 is still good, and I'm running dual crowns on it 😛

justal
    Free Member

Just thought I'd let you know that the new frame arrived so yesterday I stripped the old one down and built up the new one – It took me less than two hours to do as well which was good.

You can see the new bike here: http://www.alananna.co.uk/blog/2010/bike-build/

Just gotta get out and ride it now.

Al.

justal
    Free Member

Mind you seat tube is a wider diameter so I need a new seat post and collar and also the rear mech hanger and dropouts are different so the spares I have for the old frame are now no use to me. I'll have to get some spares for the new frame I suppose.

Al.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Commencal Cracks – Paint or frame?’ is closed to new replies.