Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • "Coming over here, etc etc"
  • Lifer
    Free Member

First study into Migrants on work-related benefits

As of February 2011, 371,000 people – out of a total of 5.5?million – claiming working-age benefits had been non-UK nationals when they first registered for a National Insurance Number. This group represented 6.4% of all claimants

Almost 17% of UK nationals were claiming working-age benefits compared with almost 7% of all those born abroad.

More than half of those who were foreign-born had permanently settled and become British citizens.

What the government calls working-age benefits include jobseeker’s allowance, income support, carer’s allowance and disability living allowance, among others.

Mr Grayling admitted the study showed the vast majority of foreign-born nationals claiming benefits were entitled to them.

😀

philconsequence
    Free Member

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l8ZJu-f-XOE[/video]

Klunk
    Free Member

is it a roundabout way of saying all these “savings” from benefit fraud are going to amount to 5p ?

kimbers

people believe what they want to believe

and (without directly invoking godwins law) picking on a minority to blame for a your nations failings has, historically, been a very successful way of getting the plebs behind you (or getting them to buy your newspaper)

jonba
    Free Member

Almost 17% of UK nationals were claiming working-age benefits compared with almost 7% of all those born abroad.

Just goes to show that they are stealing our jobs.

#bluetouchpaper

headfirst
    Free Member

Right then, children, shall we play a game?

Who can guess which national newspaper website covered this story above with these headlines:

“The foreigners being paid £2billion in benefits a year including 371,000 on the dole (and 5,000 claiming £42m in illegal handouts)DWP fraud probe after 5,000 illegal immigrants claim £42m in handouts to which they are not entitled

371,000 foreign nationals on out-of-work benefits

6% of all benefit claimants are foreigners, study finds”

Here’s a clue: they are NOT known for their level-headedness and objectivity

Another clue: God they make me mad! (the paper, not the foreigners)

joao3v16
    Free Member

I don’t mind so much those who are genuinely entitled (although not sure about the volume of migrants that are allowed into the country considering the number of unemployed).

Isn’t the thing we’re supposed to be massively outraged about all those illegal immigrants illegally living & illegally working. illegally. in the UK. ?

Through my wife, I know many in the above category.

(wonders if there’s a reward for shopping them to the UK Border Force?)

simon_g

How is “UK National” defined these days? Born here? Citizenship? Indefinite leave to remain?

Junkyard
    Free Member

headfirst, was it the Guardian?

Ladders
    Free Member

What I don’t get though is –

That there are no jobs in Britain.

There are a massive amount of scroungers on benefits because there are no jobs in Britain.

We need people to immigrate to do jobs here because there is no one in Britain to do them??

headfirst
    Free Member

Junky: close… 😉

ransos
    Free Member

So, we now know that relatively few immigrants claim benefits, and of those that do, very few are doing so fraudulently. I take it that’s how it’s being reported?

aracer
    Free Member

We need people to immigrate to do jobs here because there is no one in Britain willing to do them??

FTFY

joao3v16
    Free Member

So, we now know that relatively few immigrants claim benefits, and of those that do, very few are doing so fraudulently. I take it that’s how it’s being reported?

Stop that.

You’re ruining one of britains favourite passtimes of being outraged and enraged about it.

Although I’m sure we’ll all pretty quickly find something else we don’t understand properly to be all angry about.

Ladders
    Free Member

We need people to immigrate to do jobs here because there is no one in Britain willing to do them??
    FTFY

That’s the problem though! If benefits weren’t handed out like sweets then people would want to work to earn money!

Junkyard
    Free Member

yes good point we have literally millions of people living in the lap of luxury on benefits…why not join them in this nirvanic bliss??
    t
    Have you noticed that the numbers of job vacancies does not equal the number of jobs?
    have you noted we do not have full employment or any commitment to it
    have you noticed that even when folk work we have to give them tax credits to get them out of poverty

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2012/jan/18/pays-tesco-ceo-wages-we-do

MrsToast
    Free Member

headfirst
    Free Member

Ladders:

There are a massive amount of scroungers on benefits because there are no jobs in Britain.

Can you not see how that sentence is contradictory?

Because those 67,000 public sector workers who lost their jobs in the last three months of last year were all just begging to be made unemployed…

Ladders
    Free Member

Did I say they were scroungers?

Lifer
    Free Member

ransos – Member

Yup, but the numbers are still overinflated in terms of ‘foreigns’ as:

“More than half the people that he’s talking about are British citizens – we have no idea when they came to this country,” he said.

“These could be people who came in the late 1930s or 1940s as children, then got British citizenship, worked all their lives, paid National Insurance, paid tax and are now in receipt of benefits.”

and

“…the report lumps together all ‘migrants’ including British citizens who were born abroad – and who clearly have the same rights to benefits as all other British citizens – and migrants who have no legal claim to be in the UK at all.”

Combine this with the story towards the end of last year which showed that the amount lost through benefit fraud is eclipsed by errors, we’re finally getting a true picture which is showing how much hyperbole and damn right lies we’ve been fed for years.

konabunny
    Free Member

How is “UK National” defined these days? Born here? Citizenship? Indefinite leave to remain?

Citizenship. People with ILR aren’t UK nationals; not everyone born in the UK is a UK national.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘"Coming over here, etc etc"’ is closed to new replies.