Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Collar bone plated and bone graft !!!!
  • Mark_K

Just got home from having me collar bone plated and a bone graft from my pelvis after busting my shoulder on a group ride 6months ago 😳
    Shoulder plated and pined and is uncomfortable as I would expect but man does the pelvis/abdomen HURT LIKE A BITCH were they took the bone graft from. I was ok for a few hours while the anesthetic worn off and then about 7 this morning I sneezed my god did that hurt I thought the nurses were going to have to pull me out the ceiling 🙄

Anyone else had this type of opp done and how long before the abdominal muscle heal/stop hurting !!! 😥

I know I know i need to MTFU

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

Not me directly but dad had a graft done. His donor bit hurt 20 times more the destination.

Good luck! Have you got so me one with you to call for support or in the last case Nhs 24?

skiboy
    Free Member

i’ve never had it done personally but i know someone who has,

you should have seen the breakfast he got the next day too ! 😉 jammy git

i have done some grafts at work about loadings etc and i have found a bit if bone in a sausage once
    does this count ?

beej

Well I’m sitting here 4 weeks after a collarbone plating op, thankfully that was done a week after breaking it into three.

Sincere condolences, your situation sounds much worse than mine.

Why the long wait before surgery – did they think it would heal OK by itself, or did you have surgery when you did it and the bone just didn’t heal?

rexated
    Free Member

i had that exact op done in 2002. smarts a bit doesn’t it?

i’ve broken my collar bones a number of times, and after the first couple of days it felt like a normal recovery. the plate obviously holds the ends of the bone together to stop them jarring against each other, so if anything that reduces the first week of pain a bit….however, that reduction is offset by having had 6-8 bolts screwed into the bone itself 😯

anyway, get through the first week and it should get a lot easier! don’t be looking to wear belts round your hip for a while though! that said, the medics told me the donor site would be most painful, but it didn’t really bother me too bad.

other top tip: get loads of tramadol, and keep yourself topped up with voltarol / dichlophenic (not sure of spelling!).

roadie_in_denial
    Free Member

I’ve had a bone graft taken from my hip before (from the iliac crest apparently) and…yes. It hurts. Then again, somewhere someone messed up and I was given no pain relief for the day and a half following the operation so maybe I’m not the best person to ask.

As I recall it took me three or four days before I was walking (albeit painfully). The nurse was less than sympathetic and told me she was walking normally 24 hours after a similar operation and was back in work so I should man up…then again I suspect she may have had other issues clouding her judgement as regarded my care so even at the time I took that with a pinch of salt.

Not sure I’ve added anything to the discussion but those were my experiences.

Just a thought tho…resulting from my experiences during that time I concluded that it’s no co-incidence that the words invalid (sick person) and invalid (your point is invalid) are spelled the same way. Rather than concentrating on what you can’t do…concentrate on what you CAN do and maximize everything you can do. Family and close friends are apt to try to ‘do’ things for you…I recall having to get really rather cross with my mother in order to get the point across that there were some things I could do one handed…like wiping down a table or work surface, so would she please piss off and let me do so!

Anyway…just a thought! Hope you’re back to normality very soon.

boblo
    Free Member

Helpful comment no 1:

Errm, you don’t necessarily need a bone graft from you…. If you really really kick up a fuss, they use ‘donated bone’ for the filler mulch avoiding the need to dig around elsewhere in you.

I had the ORIF op for collarbone a couple of years ago and was 4 weeks before a 4 month tour. There was no way I was letting them dig around elsewhere and increase the recovery time. The surgeon offered ‘donated bone’ (apparently offcuts from hip replacements etc rather than ‘dead man’s bone’) which removed the need for ‘harvesting’.

It’s more expensive so they don’t like doing it. I was paying so I insisted.

PSA for others, too late for you sadly.

Mark_K

I bust my right collar bone about 2 years ago and that healed fine however this side just didn’t heal i kept leaving it in the hope it would as i dont like hospitals, a botched opp killed my mum 5 years ago and I’ve never had a opp before so you can understand my hesitancy for surgery !
    Like i say the shoulder hurts as expected but my hip/abdominal muscles are so painful and that i wasnt expecting lol and I’m not normally one to sit about and feel sorry for myself !
    boblo i wish i had known that before as i had it done private as well 🙁
    Been of work since wed and going stir crazy already 🙂

rewski
    Free Member

I’ve currently got a collarbone plate and hook which is very uncomfortable, not had a decent nights sleep since I did it back in June, luckily it’s being removed on Thursday. I’ve also just had a bone graft and screw fix on my scaphoid (wrist) bone, cast being removed today. Fortunately the bone graft was from the radial and not the pelvis, I’ve heard that’s very uncomfortable. Can’t wait to get back on the bike though.

boblo
    Free Member

Yeah, the conversation with the Surgeon went something like:

Him: We’ll need to take a graft from your hip…
    Me: If that’s not suitable what else can you do?
    Him: We’ll take it from a rib
    Me: <gulp> If that’s not suitable what else can you do?
    Him: Oh I suppose we could use some donated bobe for the filler…
    Me: That sounds like a very good idea. We’ll go with it 🙂

Kuco

Get well soon 🙂 Awaiting to go into hospital for shoulder surgery and dreading it. Weeks of no riding 🙁

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

I had a graft from my hip for my wrist, the scafoid bone. Maybe there was less taken out but I was walking, albeit very gingerly the next day. I also sneezed, thought somebody had shot me. Parents and sister gave me some very concerned looks. I took arnica and felt a great improvement the next day.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Collar bone plated and bone graft !!!!’ is closed to new replies.