Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Colin Mcrae Crash Verdict
  • P20

Colin is blamed. The report is pretty damning. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-14803595

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

the helicopter seems to have encountered significant g-loading as a result, to the evident enjoyment of his passengers.

Does that mean that they were found in the wreckage with grins on their faces ???

andyl
    Free Member

Didn’t realise that was still not concluded. Read a report on it a while back.

He’s not blamed as such (ie directly caused the crash) but he is criticised for putting the helicopter in a position it didn’t need to be in. The flight deviation is still unknown although IIRC they do have a suspicion based on previous incidents of that type of helicopter. But yes it is a shame he flew how he did and now he, another man and 2 young boys died. 🙁

nickf
    Free Member

He was a great driver, but he took risks; not for nothing was he known as McCrash. Fair enough when it’s just you, but when you’ve got others on board it’s not really acceptable.

I’m sure that his lack of up to date licence mattered not a jot in terms of causing the accident, but the fact that he didn’t have the relevant paperwork, wasn’t certified on the machine, and was flying in a higher-risk area shows that he didn’t take flying as seriously as he should.

We all make mistakes, but this was a high-consequence one.

andyl
    Free Member

oh but yes there was also the issue that he wasnt actually certified to fly that helicopter. tbh it does completely sour my image of him which is a shame.

totalshell

anyone reading any of the reports can only draw one conclusion, 4 people lost thier lives prematurely and avoidably. a tragedy.

richmtb

Pretty damning really.

Essentially he took risks he shouldn’t have or didn’t need to and 4 people lost their lives as a result.

He is still a legend in the world of rallying but this seems like a tragic misjudgement on his part

Brycey
    Free Member

I was standing outside Loch Fyne Oysters one afternoon (the real one, not the McDonalds-esque chain you southeners have), and he came low over the restaurant, did a big impressive banked turn, landed and went in for lunch with his folks and kids; but not before stopping for a chat and to show us his helicopter.

He was clearly a highly skilled pilot, amazing driver/racer and genuine guy who took a risk (it seems) at the worst possible time with the wrong passengers. I think it’s very sad it all ended the way it did.

peterfile
    Free Member

A close friend of mine is acting for the McRaes.

An absolute tragedy, regardless of how cause/blame is apportioned.

BoardinBob

We were going to an engagment party on the evening of the crash and the venue was actually near where the helicopter crashed. The weather was absolutely horrendous that night and driving was a real challenge. Torrential rain and gale force winds. I dread to think what it was like trying to fly a helicopter.

enfht
    Free Member

I can only guess how the other boy’s parents feel now McRae’s been deemed negligent, what a terrible tragedy for everyone concerned

poly
    Free Member

I can only guess how the other boy’s parents feel now McRae’s been deemed negligent, what a terrible tragedy for everyone concerned

probably pretty much the same as they did before – absolutely gutted to have lost a son. It wouldn’t be any better if the conclusion had been “it was nobody’s fault” or “mechanical failure”…

Gachet
    Free Member

The McRae family’s solicitor, Peter Watson, added: “Although Colin’s licence was out-of-date, this played no contributory factor whatsoever to the accident.”

The fact that this license was out of date just shows a certain degree of arrogance as he probably thought ‘why should I bother adhearing to proceedure when I’m this rally lengend’.

I think he was overrated as a driver and if you look at his record over the years it isn’t that great when you compared him to Sebastien Loeb, who effectively ended McRae’s career at the tip level when he outperformed him in the same car in 2003.

To be taking risks when flying a helicopter is stupid enough on your own, but when you risk the lives of others that’s completely inexcusable.

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

No point raking over the coals. I’m pretty sure that he didnt crash the thing on purpose.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Drink drivers don’t have accidents on purpose either…

Stoatsbrother
    Free Member

The old saying. There are Old Pilots and Bold Pilots, but no Old Bold Pilots.

a real tragedy all round

aracer
    Free Member

if you look at his record over the years it isn’t that great when you compared him to Sebastien Loeb

On that basis, all rally drivers are rubbish (excepting of course Seb).

yossarian
    Free Member

I liked him and his attitude and style in the WRC.

But he killed his son and two others by flying like a dick.

Woody
    Free Member

The fact that this license was out of date just shows a certain degree of arrogance as he probably thought ‘why should I bother adhearing to proceedure when I’m this rally lengend’.

Really – or perhaps, being human, he just forgot. As for the rest of your comments 🙄

Interesting re the weather boardinbob as no mention in the link.

Very sad for all concerned.

Markie
    Free Member

Given the verdict, is there the possibility of the families of the dead making a civil claim against the McRae estate?

Northwind

Gachet – Member

Apparently it’s incredibly common.

donsimon
    Free Member

A sad way to be remembered.

Rockhopper
    Free Member

Absolutly there will be claim against McRaes estate and becasue of the lack of correct paperwork etc his insurance will not cover it.

camo16
    Free Member

Did I hear this story right? According to the radio, the inquest found out that McRae crashed because his helicopter was too close to the ground.

Um…

chopperT
    Free Member

Interestingly, I used to work at Prodrive (though not in the McRae era),and am now working on the same type helicopters that Colin crashed.
    Had his licence been current, he would have been aware of the Airworthiness directives regarding the phenomenon of “Jackstall” that these aircraft can experience. If he had piloted his aircraft in a safe and prudent manner, he would have allowed sufficient altitude to recover control of the machine in the event that aerodynamic forces on the flight controls overcame the available power from the control servos (“jackstall”) during the manoeuvre he wished to perform, which could have been achieved by reducing control inputs. However, without sufficient altitude, a crash was inevitable.
    A great man no doubt, but this crash was his fault. Pilot error.

Klunk
    Free Member

the conclusion of the pdf report are pretty damning with the inclusion of the stills from the video actually showing how low he was flying at the time. Stupidity of the highest order.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Colin Mcrae Crash Verdict’ is closed to new replies.