Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Cold toes today – Suggestions on footwear please
  • ken_shields
    Free Member

Hi All

Out today with Specialized Roady shoes with Pro neoprene overshoes. After about an hour the cold started to creep into my toes.

The rest of me was fine so I guess I just need advice on my footwear options. I was hoping the all knowing STW collective could point me in the right direction for toasty feet

Thanks in advance for any assistance

Cheers

Ken

legend
    Free Member

If you’ve got vents on the soles then 1st thing is to tape them up. We’re you wearing winter socks?

kcr
    Free Member

I’ve been using my Shimano winter boots on the winter road bike in the really cold weather, and they have been pretty good. Not so good in wet weather, because the water gets in around the ankle eventually and because the boots are waterproof, it can’t drain out.

Road shoes are not usually designed for winter use, so you’re relying on a good set of overshoes for your insulation. You could try an extra pair of very thin thermal socks, if you have room, and keep wiggling your toes to get the circulation going, if things get cold.

deluded
    Free Member

Hacked off with rides being brought to a quicker end than I’d have liked due to my frostnipped toes near dropping off, I invested in some Sealskinz Thick Mid Length Socks. Expensive for a sock but so worthwhile – proper snug and waterproof.

matts
    Free Member

Skinny Tall Matt’s Guide to Toasty Toes:

I really suffer from cold toes on the bike. Having super long skinny legs probably doesn’t help. I tried many things to keep them warm, but the thing that made the single biggest difference for me was the charcoal warmers. I buy them in bulk, and only use them when it’s below 3-4°C. That’s not too expensive for a southern UK winter, but if you live somewhere where it’s below zero every day, then you might want to look at some Hotronic insoles.

This is my current regime:

* Thin liner socks
    * Charcoal toe warmers placed right over the toes
    * Mid-weight merino ski socks
    * Winter shoes (I use Shimano RW-80s)

If it’s below 1-2°C I’ll wear 3/4 waterproof shorts over my tights to keep the chill off my thighs and knees.

If it’s below freezing, I will also put some overshoes over my boots.

I open the warmers a couple of minutes before I start getting dressed, and pop them in my socks as soon as they start to activate. When commuting, I use the same pair for the hour to work, and 1-2 hours in the evening. I pop them in a ziplock bag with all the air squeezed out, which deactivates them during the day. They’re normally good for 2-3 hours if you really keep the air out. (I normally double-bag them to be really sure).

madxela
    Free Member

NOrthwave winter boots and merino socks – job done! 😀

Spud

Not had an issue with normal road shoes, neoprene over shoes and Rapha winter socks, knock spots off the woolie boolie.

lunge

The following works for me:
    Duct tape over any vents in the sole of my shoes.
    A layer of tinfoil underneath the insole of the shoes as well.
    Merino socks – I use PX/On-One Thicky socks, cheap and they work well.
    Castelli neoprene toe-caps
    PX Neoprene overshoes – Worn over the toe-caps, the 2 payers works very well.

For REALLY cold days you can also cover your the toe area of your feet in tinfoil, this works really rather well.

Freester

Thin coolmax socks with Sealskin medium weight over those. Shoes then neoprene overshoes.

Best tip I was ever given was DON’T DO YOUR SHOES UP TOO TIGHT.

zero-cool
    Free Member

Wear slightly bigger shoes. Tight shoes will constrict circulation. So go for shoes with more toe space

Clobber
    Free Member

I wear size 48/49, really struggle to get overshoes that go on…

Any tips for overshoes that work with canoe feet?

slowpuncheur
    Free Member

Sorry, didnt see this thread before posting. I feel your pain:

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/ive-found-a-new-way-of-stopping-my-toes-dropping-off-in-the-cold

The tape works better than tin foil. Bit thicker and doesn’t move or break.

Gary_M
    Free Member

The temperature on this mornings ride dropped to -6.9 at one point and was consistently hovering around -6. I had shimano winter boots and rapha winter socks, one foot started to get a wee bit chilly towards the end of my 20 mile commute but I was pretty comfortable, not warm, just not cold.

The insoles of my boots are covered with foil tape, and the cleat bolt area also taped over with this, and that makes a big difference.

It was odd this morning though, my face which was uncovered wasn’t in the slightest bit cold despite the low temps. I had a buff on ready to pull over my nose but didn’t need it. I also had three quarter roubaix bibs on with lots of hot embrocation on the exposed bits of my legs.

Edit: I use the tape in slowpuncheur link.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Cold toes today – Suggestions on footwear please’ is closed to new replies.