Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Numb feet – Help/thoughts needed
  • letmetalktomark

Firstly I appreciate that there re a myriad of “things” that can lead to numb feet but I would appreciate your thoughts and help!

About 18(?) months ago I posted something very similar about numb/hot spots on the soles of my feet. This cure, or so I thought, was a re vist to where my cleats were positioned.

This time the problem is more numb feet than hot spots.

I haven’t changed my pedals, shoes or cleat position.

I noticed last week that the “problem” had returned but simply put it down to the fact it was -1 and a bit breezy (my beard froze!)

This weekend I was on the same bike went with two pairs of merino wool socks, +4, made sure my shoes weren’t too tight and set off.

After a while my feet/toes were quite numb. I got off and had a walk around but it didn’t really help. In fact it took a while after riding for full feeling to return.

They may have been cold but it wasn’t as cold as the week before.

So where do I start.

Saddle?
    New shoes (currently a Shimano M89 in wide)
    Over shoes?
    Re visit cleat position?

stumpy01

How loose are your shoes?
    If you can get two pairs of wool socks on, I’d have thought they’d have been too loose when wearing ‘normal’ socks? Are you sure you’re not squishing your feet up and reducing blood flow?

If it’s your whole foot, it’s unlikely to be cleat position, although taping over the area where the cleats fasten in may help reduce draughts getting in.

Are your shoes well ventilated/meshy?
    I find overshoes help massively in the winter – well worth trying a pair and perhaps re-assess the sock layering….?

letmetalktomark

They are only thin socks.

If anything I’m thinking I may need to size up on the shoe 😕

lunge

I have problem feet and often used to get very similar, when it started taking 2 days for full feeling to return I decided it was about time I tried to fix it.

Now, it may well be a heat problem, in which case, try the following:
    Toe-caps under over shoes
    1 pair of good merino socks
    Looser shoes
    Tinfoil over your toes (really, try it).

My problem was not a heating problem but caused by a combination of bad flexibility and pretty server forefoot varus (the outside of my feet sits quite a lot lower than the inside basically). The solution was:
    Better insoles in the shoes. I spent a lot of money on some custom moulded SuperFeet and they didn’t really work, they made my pedal action feel very strange indeed. However, the Specialized insoles worked really well, I use blue ones.
    Getting my cleats set up by a professional. It was a couple of quid but I got the cleats positioned my a bike fitter, this made a world of difference, really improved things. He also added some wedges to the shoe that helped aforementioned varus.

Hope this helps.

lightman
    Free Member

Get overshoes and proper thick and long wool socks and make sure your shoes are not tight.
    You don’t say what is on your legs.
    If your legs aren’t warm, then the blood going to your feet aren’t going to be either.
    For cold road rides, I wear leg warmers and 3/4 winter bibs over them, thick wool socks that cover my calves and overshoes.

iamanobody
    Free Member

Dodgy/swollen disc in back causing pressure on nerve was my issue

oldnpastit

+1 for overshoes. They also protect your shoes and make them last longer. About £20 for a pair of MT500’s.

letmetalktomark

Hmm.

Thanks guys.

Oddly I hadn’t considered leg warmth 😳

I tend to cycle in shorts all rear round so bare legs from the knee 😕

I will try loosening off the straps a little to see if that helps.

digga
    Free Member

Couple of thoughts.

If you cram too thick a sock into a biking (or running shoe) then, as you exercise, there’s nowhere for your feet to expand into and you will get various symptoms.

I actually stopped riding with cleats a few years ago, but always suffered with numb toes and, to me, it felt as though the cleats were protruding up into the soles of my feet. my shoes were budget and also used to feel a bit tight because I’ve got high arches, but I also think a shoe with a more rigid sole would perhaps have helped.

medoramas
    Free Member

I used to suffer similar thing on long-ish rides (winter and summer time). One of these “adivices” from “more experienced friend” – “wear your shooes tight!”…

It took me painful ages to realize that from the three velcro straps on my shoes only the top one needs to be tight – the other two (middle one and near the toes one) must be quite loose…. 🙄

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Numb feet – Help/thoughts needed’ is closed to new replies.