Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 420 total)
  • Coil Conversion for the Pike
  • legend
    Free Member

Well they didn’t call, 1 more point to the Frenchman

Rubber_Buccaneer

Shame there is no news from TF as this thread has got me very interested.

Anyone know if these coil conversions work in a dual position pike? I will probably ask the Frenchman but my french is limited.

Pridds

Just asked for my dual position lyric and you need the solo air cap which is about 20 euros plus postage and then it will work.

Rubber_Buccaneer

Thanks Pridds

Pridds

This is the part number 11.4018.012.010 UK shops dont sell it seperatley but some of the europeans one do .
    http://www.mountainbikes.net/mtbikes/produkt.cfm?pnr=26491&ctry=1&za=1&lc=1&curcd=1&cid=B5931113-5056-B502-E51C75517AC359A5

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

I think Richard will supply you with a solo air cap if you wish.

Pridds

He’s out of stock of them.

Rubber_Buccaneer

Thanks again Pridds, I just ordered one from amazon uk with free delivery

Neb

I’m assuming an older lyrik or boxxer top cap will also fit? Although not sure if the depth is the same?

Pridds

Boxxer top cap won’t fit as it’s a different thread or pitch, apperently.

bravesirrobin

I happened to speak to a technician at TFT today regarding my Pike which is sticking down. He recommended that I send it in immediately for a service so that they can investigate why it is sticking and suggested that if there was internal damage then one option was for them to fit a coil… only came across this thread just now so didn’t ask any further questions but doubt that he would have mentioned this unless they could do the work immediately.

legend
    Free Member

Spoke to TF Tuned, very cagey answers again but it sounds like it going to be the better part of a couple of months from now. As riding time is likely to be at a premium for me this year, I’ve now emailed Richard at CRConception.

Now the real issues arise though…….. 150 or 160mm?!

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Robin, they will sometimes knock one up using old lyrik spring assays – you only get about 5 spring rates to choose from though.

The new coil conversion from them will be a ground up design….

Legend….160mm

Rubber_Buccaneer

It was credit card rollover today so I’ve ordered a spring from CRConception. Really looking forward to giving it a try, you should be on commission Tom 🙂

legend
    Free Member

Ordered mine too 🙂

160mm in the end, coz moar! Think I’ll end up with a 64.5 degree Five at the end of this, most be close to a record…

spooky211
    Free Member

Looking fwd to seeing how this goes legend! Hopefully it arrives in time for Dunkeld this weekend (assuming you can make it)!!!

chiefgrooveguru

160mm in the end, coz moar! Think I’ll end up with a 64.5 degree Five at the end of this, most be close to a record…

My 140mm Spitfire is now at 64.1 deg, and that’s with the fork shortened from 160 to 150mm. Just seems to work for how I ride, even on flat trails!

mudmonster
    Free Member

Thinking about this for my 2014 34’s. They are not that plush compared to my 32’s. While I’m at it would increase the travel to 150mm. Never tried a coil fork before.
    Although I can’t find out any information on their website.

legend
    Free Member

Don’t think he does the kit you’re after. Might be worth dropping him an email though

I now consider myself in a race against RB, but as I keep getting a ” 😉 ” at the end of every email I reckon I’m winning…..

Rubber_Buccaneer

I have also had a 😉 at the end of every email…..but I’ve only had one email.

If it’s a race you want I’d better start preparing since I want to put the coil in the DPA fork on my hardtail and swap it with the solo air on my FS. (I intend to do away with dual position which didn’t turn out to be as useful as I thought even on a hardtail.)

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

With someone like Richard at CRConception, if enough people show interest and email him a little petition asking for a 34 spring, I’m sure he’d knock one up. I think it would be worth a try!

legend
    Free Member

Anyone know if he’s likely to send out a note when the kit is on its way?

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Just badger him a few times….he’ll tell you when its posted. The coil turned up about 4 working days after I ordered.

No instructions in the kit btw, they are on the website.

Let me know how it goes.

Rubber_Buccaneer

I saw the website instructions, doesn’t look any more complicated than swapping an airshaft….hopefully all will be self explanatory

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Yeah, the clip is a bit of a ball ache in comparison to the big circlip used with plier holes on the air shaft model.

It requires a technique a little bit like seating a tyre. Hold one end of the clip, whilst pushing around in a circular motion until the whole clip snaps in.

legend
    Free Member

I assume you couldn’t just use the snap-ring from the air shaft?

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

You could try I guess, I used the one provided.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Anyone recieve their coil kit, yet?

legend
    Free Member

From his email last night, they’ve all been posted today!

Rubber_Buccaneer

I’ve not heard anything? Got my solo air cap etc all ready and waiting but wasn’t going to hassle just yet.

Denis99
    Free Member

yep, mine was posted today.

top man richard.

legend
    Free Member

Rubber_Buccaneer – Member
    I’ve not heard anything? Got my solo air cap etc all ready and waiting but wasn’t going to hassle just yet.

I just dropped him a friendly email so I knew roughly when to expect it. iirc his words were “all the kits are leaving tomorrow” so I assume that includes yours!

unclesomebody
    Free Member

Which kit have people ordered from crc? My French isn’t particularly great and I’m wondering which option I should be choosing for a 170mm Lyrik. Is this the coil kit everybody is talking about: http://www.crconception.com/web_images/2016_all_in_one.jpg

There is also a file titled 2017 spring kit which is €135. Not sure what the difference is?

Thanks

Rubber_Buccaneer

I have ordered a 2017 spring kit for a 160mm pike but they are also available for a 170mm lyric. What you linked to is a hydraulic cartridge.

I use the translator built into my browser to translate the site. It isn’t perfect but helps. Other text I type into google translate. Download the order spreadsheet, it lists the options and has some English ‘help’ boxes

legend
    Free Member

2017 kit I believe refers to his current design rather than a fork. Up until fairly recently his design was a bit……. interesting!

Rubber_Buccaneer

Yes, I hope I’ve understood correctly

2017 spring kit = coil replacement for air spring
    Cartouche = replacement damper
    Cartouche all in one = combined coil spring and damper

All I wanted was the coil spring Tom has been so pleased with, the damping cartridges are an unknown to me so I’d probably look somewhere more local for any upgrades/adjustment

unclesomebody
    Free Member

Yes, I hope I’ve understood correctly

2017 spring kit = coil replacement for air spring
    Cartouche = replacement damper
    Cartouche all in one = combined coil spring and damper

All I wanted was the coil spring Tom has been so pleased with, the damping cartridges are an unknown to me so I’d probably look somewhere more local for any upgrades/adjustment

Very helpful. So the spring kit is basically just a coil on the air side and the charger damper in a lyrik/pike remains on the other side. I guess the competitor to the spring upgrade is a luftkappe, but a spring seems like an inviting option.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

First go out with the coil at Grenoside this weekend, baby head sized rocks on the Steel City DH were a fair bit more muted than before and the fork even felt livelier! It’s not suddenly a new fork, but it’s definitely an improvement as I suspected from other rides!

I couldn’t push hard though as I totalled my ankle in December, tweaked it recently and now it seems unstable.

Rubber_Buccaneer

Just received my invoice with tracking details 🙂

01/30/2017 Pris en charge LORQUIN BP

Hope to be fitting it at the weekend 😀

legend
    Free Member

Pris en charge SARREBOURG PDC1

I’m sure there’s a reason they’re 10km away from each other 🙂

Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 420 total)

The topic ‘Coil Conversion for the Pike’ is closed to new replies.