Viewing 40 posts - 361 through 400 (of 420 total)
  • Coil Conversion for the Pike
  • tobiwan
    Free Member

I also had a pike conversion kit from CRC. For me it did not work. The spring was way too soft and I was even using the slightly harder spring. I think the CRC solution works well when you are also buying the damping unit. This one is built like the Marzocchi dampers so you can adjust the last third of travel by the oil level.
    Sad to say but also the service of CRC was hhhmmm lets say not so good. Before I did the transaction he was replying fast and to all my requests. After paying I only got the feedback that I must be wrong with my impressions??!! No spring exchange, no more feedback! To be honest I never had an even close experience in my 25years of mtb. Cannot recommend crc.

Quite interested in the Tft solution.

ganic
    Free Member

I have the conversion for my Lyrik 29. It does work and i dont get harsh top or bottom outs. Richard was good when the initial sag wasnt as requested, he sent me a bigger spacer to increase pre-load. The spring rate was just too soft and i had total radio silence about that. The spring is a domain spring, so i just bought a firmer one. Works fine now. If there was an option from TF i’d have used that but there wasnt/still isnt. I suspect Richard has a shortage of springs as RS don’t make them anymore, getting hold of them isn’t easy.

The damper is designed to work with an air spring, but its fine with my coil conversion, i might get it tuned/changed when i do the next service.

I would’mt say avoid CRC but, he’s a French guy, in his shed in France, using Facebook to communicate. Its fair to say dealing with issues etc isn’t straight forward.

tobiwan
    Free Member

I am using now the rs domain shaft and an xfusion venegeance 170 spring abd this works pretty well

BoardinBob

The two folk with problems are brand new posters…

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Lol.

Mine wasn’t a Domain spring either – which is a bit odd.

In regards to bottom out, I did say with a coil you can either choose the bottom out force of your old setup or your sag – by speccing a different spring rate. What’s good about the coil is with less sag, they still work. I’m on around 20 percent and it feels as comfortable as my Pike did at 25 with one token.

Rubber_Buccaneer

Still happy with mine in a Pike RC, I use the compression adjustment to avoid bottom out. I can’t comprehend how it’s possible to have the correct sag and maximum compression damping and still bottom the fork? If I had the compression set to max I would have to hit something very hard to do that

RickDraper
    Free Member

I had a conversation about these springs with TFT when my forks were in for a service last week. They were less than complimentary about the build quality of them. They did say they would be offering their own Push Industries coils conversion very soon.

FTFU.

bruneep

fanks 🙄 I must have missed that bit. I wasn’t aware you were listening into my conversation I am glad you were tho 😐

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Still happy with mine in a Pike RC, I use the compression adjustment to avoid bottom out. I can’t comprehend how it’s possible to have the correct sag and maximum compression damping and still bottom the fork? If I had the compression set to max I would have to hit something very hard to do that

This +1

As I said earlier, the RC fork would be almost like the RCT3s lockout mode with one click from fully closed.

I half suspect the posters are either someone from TF or SA Springs – bottoming out easily with that much compression damping makes no sense to me at all.

bravesirrobin

I’ve had my first ride on a TFT coil converted Pike today 🙂 …and it’s predictably great! It’s been a long wait (they’ve had my fork for weeks) but worth it I think. This is their own conversion …they used Push seals I believe but other parts have been manufactured for them by a local engineering firm.

cyclelife
    Free Member

It is strange how two “new” names have appeared all of a sudden! Can’t see how there can be a problem as described unless it’s a blown damper unit.

flipdascrip
    Free Member

Yes, i am new to singletrack forum. No, im not an competitor. Just a customer who searched the web for a explanation and is dissapointed with his purchase. This is my experience and my opinion. Nothing more, nothing less.

thedude
    Free Member

Tf tuned posted on Instagram they have their coil conversion ready. £109 DIY

SirHC

http://www.tftuned.com/pike-coil-conversion-kit/p3314

Hydraulic bottom out bumper would be nice but not really the space to fit one

legend
    Free Member

thedude – Member
    Tf tuned posted on Instagram they have their coil conversion ready. £109 DIY

£149 according to the email.

Looks remarkably similar to the CRC one, except they’ve swapped to a metal -ve spring holder, you don’t get a new spring rod, but you do get a top cap (and an extra spring, but I don’t really get why you need that unless planning serious weight gain/loss)

kelvin

Two different rate springs seems a good idea to me.
    A spring swap programme would be an even better idea though!

Right… time to guess what rate springs to get…

Neb

It’s 300g heavier than the solo air spring. That’s more than the CRC conversion kit I think.

Also does anyone know why the dual position version is £26 more expensive?

Very tempted!

Rubber_Buccaneer

I can’t see the weight being much different from one kit to another, mostly it’s a spring.

The dual position kit may be more expensive because it needs a new aircap and the solo air possibly doesn’t

singlespeedstu

Anyone else tried the TFT kit yet?

Neb

Rubber_Buccaneer – Member
    I can’t see the weight being much different from one kit to another, mostly it’s a spring.

The dual position kit may be more expensive because it needs a new aircap and the solo air possibly doesn’t

You said earlier in the thread that the CRC spring added 150g to a dual position pike. TF tuned reckon their spring is 500g or 300g more than a solo air spring assembly. I can’t see why there would be such a difference either, hence my question.

The kit comes with its own topcap, it doesn’t reuse the topcap from the solo air spring, so still not sure why the dual position is £26 more expensive. Seems a bit weird!

teethgrinder

Scene tax, innit.

Rubber_Buccaneer

You said earlier in the thread that the CRC spring added 150g to a dual position pike

It did. Can’t pretend my cheap kitchen/shed scales are especially accurate but shouldn’t be that far out. What I didn’t do was weigh the CRC kit or the bits I took out.

I can’t explain the difference in weight or price if you get a top cap either way ❓

Rubber_Buccaneer

300g more than a solo air spring assembly

Of course there is quite a bit more to a dual position spring, no idea whether it’s 150g more than the solo but it is possible

Neb

Maybe I misunderstood, but I thought there was only a one position coil spring. The TF coil conversion has two versions depending if you’re? converting a solo air or a dual position.

Rubber_Buccaneer

I meant the dual position air gubbins I removed to fit the coil.

chopchop
    Free Member

I still have a CRC Pike spring kit to sell as I. I longer have any Pike forks, it doesn’t fit in the Yari I’m using. 160mm 650b, 22% sag at 100kg. The thin plastic stantion protection is bent out of shape after an attempted fit in the Yari but an alternative boulder be too difficult to source at a stationers or similar- £85 posted.

nikon255
    Free Member

Could anybody give the lenght of the spring for 160mm, 27,5 pike CRC conversion kit?

Neb

Just had a play on the newly converted coil pikes, amazingly plush and so much better on my hands than the dual position spring it replaced. Not sure which spring to run, one gives 23% and one 19% (without a rucksack) so I expect I’ll have to move to the stiffer coil with a heavy pack. It feels like a much better performing fork already and I’ve not really got it set up 100% yet.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Mick, not yet – I’ve just ordered a Race Edition Orange Fox 36, I’ll be dropping a Push coil conversion in it. The two stage spring will be nice to have.

Anyway, I’ll soon have a coil equipped Pike with a FAST damper for sale. Nothing wrong with the fork, I just wanted something that was Orange. 😆

I’ll have a review up in about 6 weeks.

RickDraper
    Free Member

Mick, not yet – I’ve just ordered a Race Edition Orange Fox 36, I’ll be dropping a Push coil conversion in it. The two stage spring will be nice to have.

Just got a 170mm push conversion for my 2018 36!

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Does anyone know what the difference is between the solo kit and dual position in terms of functionality. I have dual position Pikes but really don’t use the dual position functionality, so if the dual position kit retains the dual position functionality can I buy and install the solo conversion kit instead or are there physical differences with the fork lowers?

Cheers

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Just got a 170mm push conversion for my 2018 36!

Let me know how you get on with it! 🙂

RickDraper
    Free Member

Let me know how you get on with it!

I will do. I also have some factory Orange forks on order to drop it all into lol.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Great minds (or massive bling whores) think alike hey? What date have mojo given you for delivery? I’ve been counting down since last tuesday, since I put the deposit down.

I needed some new brakes, as I’ve wrecked two sets of deores now – I should really be running Zees or V4s. But who cares for coward levers!!!! I wanted needed me some Orange forks….cuz….my shock springs orange!

Neb

Does anyone know what the difference is between the solo kit and dual position in terms of functionality.

The dual position ‘version’ is just because they add a solo air spring shaft in the package, nothing more. They both convert to the same functionality from different starting points. If that makes sense!

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Thanks Neb. I spoke to the chaps at TF tuned and spontaneously ordered a kit. My Pikes were in dire need of a service anyway and I fancied a project, so i’ve got a kit winging it’s way to me right now.

chilled76
    Free Member

Ok guys, need a general opinion on this before throwing more money at my Pikes.

I bought a set of used pike forked 160mm 650b flavour a while back,

The damping was spiking so I sent to tf tuned and ended up having the full FAST upgrade done and had to have a new air shaft so already spent 300 on them.

To me they don’t feel up to my bike in terms of performance (sb6c) and I’m considering selling them and getting a 170mm Lyrik.

I reckon with selling the pikes a Lyrik will cost me £350

What do we think will be a better fork for my bike in the alps

PIKE 160MM With FAST upgrade and coil conversion

Or

LYRIK 170mm stock fork (2017 model)

I don’t want to spend more money on them if the chassis is the real issue here…

What’s the crowd opinion?

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

I have a FAST Coiled Pike and my old man has a FAST Lyrik 2017. The FAST damping is superior to the standard Lyriks, where the Lyrik improves upon an older model Pike is how sesitive the spring is (the 2018 Pikes are closer in parity to the 2018 Lyriks in this regard) and stiffness.

My 160mm FAST Pike feels like it has a bit more grip and more midstroke support, however it has a racier feel and is slightly less comfortable than the Lyrik (partly do to the tune plus the increased midstroke support from the coil…. I think). It’s a more sensitive fork though.

Personally, I’m not sure I’d bother upgrading to a fork without the HSC adjustment – it makes a huge difference, changing how quickly the fork opens up to use it’s travel for bigger hits.

You don’t say what your issue with the Pike is, your complaint is very non-specific so I can’t say whether you would be happy with an upgrade.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

ACS-3 Coil 170mm conversion shipped

Orange 36’s still two weeks out

Arghhhhhh

Viewing 40 posts - 361 through 400 (of 420 total)

The topic ‘Coil Conversion for the Pike’ is closed to new replies.