Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Coffee makers – help, more choice than tyres…
  • dazzydw
    Free Member

Xmas coming up – I want to get the household a proper coffee maker. But holy jeez the CHOICE?! I know – SINGLETRACK will sort this out, everyone on here knows about coffee.
    So I don’t want one of those that needs the pods – I want total freedom to choose which coffee I drink thank you very much.
    Who’s got something to say on a good one?
    Which brand is worth the money? Gaggia, Krups, blah?

peteimpreza

What is your budget?

flap_jack
    Free Member

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    dazzydw
    Free Member

Budget, I was hoping to stay around 300, but I don’t know what I don’t know, so if more gets me much more then more it is…

dazzydw
    Free Member

flapjack – that thing looks like a lot of hassle at 6am.

v8ninety

Hate to be the first to say it, but the obvious choice is a Gaggia Classic. I bought mine second hand and I’m well chuffed with it. (beware the caffeine OD when you first have it! 😯 😀 😯 )

Someone will be along shortly to recommend a Rancillio Silvia, and someone else will say to blow your budget on a decent grinder. Both of which are perfectly valid points…

grantway
    Free Member

Can heavily recommend these machines and coffee range

Nespresso Web Site

Digger90
    Free Member

Peteimpreza – what is the crema device like these days?

I ask because the last Gaggia machine I had with a crema device just p*ssed coffee all over the kitchen when the device was fitted – we sent it back to Gaggia, who said it was fine (b@lls!)

Are they any better these days?

matthewjb
    Free Member

dazzydw – Member
    flapjack – that thing looks like a lot of hassle at 6am.

If you want ease of use then it’s best to get an automatic machine.

The Gaggia Titanium produces consistently great coffee at the touch of a button. It’s bit above your budget though. But you may be able to get one for about £400.

blaggers
    Free Member

At 6am I reach for this, it’s awesome, and quick, easy to clean. At the weekend I crank up a gaggia classic, and ascaso grinder

Aeropress

Bregante

What are people’s thoughts on the illy capsule type machines like these.

http://www2.illy.com/wps/wcm/connect/us/illy/at-home/Espresso-machines/E.S.E-pod-coffee-machines/

I do like illy’s coffee and am considering a coffee maker but can’t be doing with the hassle of the machines mentioned above, nor the noise of a bean to cup jobby and the illy pods are a lot less expensive than the nespresso type capsules….

Nick

I keep thinking about getting a machine (I had a pavoni for a while, what a pain in the arse) but there is a near vertical deminishing return once you go past one of these

flap_jack
    Free Member

Nick raises a good point, in that if you can’t tell the difference between what cafetiere makes and what a high pressure system makes, then get a cafetiere.

IMO both make excellent drinks, but they are very different.

The Pavoni is no more hassle than any high pressure machine, and a load quieter at 6 am. But as you’ll be grinding the coffee fresh, the slight reduction in noise from the maker will be inconsequential 😀

peteimpreza

@digger.

Just fine mate. Makes superb espresso with a wonderful crema.

cinnamon_girl

Get a cafetiere – haven’t you got bike bits to buy? 😉

matthewjb
    Free Member

flap_jack – Member
    Nick raises a good point, in that if you can’t tell the difference between what cafetiere makes and what a high pressure system makes, then get a cafetiere.

Good point. If you want, or like, filter coffee then a cafetiere is the perfect choice. But if you want espresso then a high pressure system is the only option.

Nick

If you want, or like, filter coffee then a cafetiere is the perfect choice

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

No really, that’s the funniest thing I’ve read on here for days.

if you can’t tell the difference between what cafetiere makes and what a high pressure system makes, then get a cafetiere.

This is hilarious, are you both a double act?

flap_jack
    Free Member

Maybe I should have said ‘prefer what a cafetiere makes’. looking back, it looks a bit insulting.

No offence intended.

Curly68
    Free Member

I have just bought a second hand DeLonghi Magnifica ESAM4200 and love it. A bit noisy when it grinds etc but takes no time to be ready after its rinse cycle and can fit a proper cup underneath!

chewkw
    Free Member

Go for Gaggia Classic and a decent grinder.

My grinder is Anfim Best Coffee Grinder at around £320 plus …

Digger90 – Member

I ask because the last Gaggia machine I had with a crema device just p*ssed coffee all over the kitchen when the device was fitted – we sent it back to Gaggia, who said it was fine (b@lls!)

You need this.

Gaggia classic gasket

Follow this instruction.

Instruction on changing group gasket

jamiec360
    Free Member

Classic, best manual machine available, that said mines bust (need to find a decent repairer in London but not looked enough yet) you can get away without a grinder at first but at least something like the Gaggia burr grinder makes a big difference when you have a bit more experience.

Yes the Rancilos are brilliant but if you can afford it or wait until the sales and see what’s available you really can’t beat the Jura automatics, even their cheap ones are expensive but they are so good, reliable and easy to use you’ll probably actually use them a lot more.

Pieface

Just get a grinder and a cafettiere, everything else is just gadgets and hassle

donsimon
    Free Member
    colournoise

I use one of these as I’m lazy. Reasonable compromise between hassle free and drinkable coffee.

Had a little Krups machine before that but the prep and cleaning just got to be more hassle than my caffeine lightweight mind could deal with first thing in the morning.

Overall, I’m with Don Simon though I think in terms of easy making of ‘real’ coffee (in no way pretending what the Tassimo gives me is that in any way). Must dig mine out of the cupboard and bring it out of retirement.

slainte 😀 rob

TooTall
    Free Member

If you like filter coffee, get a filter coffee maker.
    If you like espresso-based drinks, get an espresso maker.
    If you like both, get both.

If you want to ride the trail centres of the coffee world for the rest of your life, whilst paying more per drink and producing excess waste every cup, buy a pod coffee maker.

MrSynthpop
    Free Member

Quality grinder is as important as a quality machine, I’ve got a la Pavoni Professional (copper and brass, gorgeous) and a Pavoni Jolly Grinder although I’ll probably get a mazzer mini at some point to replace the grinder as its slightly unreliable with grind size.

Real question is how interested are you in awesome coffee, an automatic machine will do reliable decent coffee, a stovetop will do decent coffee but if you want top notch espresso you’re talking about serious kit and some real effort in getting grind/dose right. My La Pavoni is a bit of a faff but for me the quality makes it worthwhile, plus I can service it entirely myself and can get all the spares. Used to have a Krups than a Gaggia machine but got hacked off having them both die and being unable to source parts/get them fixed for less than the cost of a new machine.

Check ebay for the higher end machines, particularly levers – lots of people buy them then don’t get on with them/can’t be bothered with the faff, my pro and grinder were about £350 (about £800 new) although i had to service the grouphead and swap the gaskets out.

Off to make awesome coffee…

Dan1502
    Free Member

Buying a second hand decent machine might be a good idea. I have now bought three second hand and each one I sold to upgrade was sold for as much as I paid (in face a small profit). I also bought an expensive grinder. I currently have an Expobar Lever Dual Boiler machine and a Macap M4D Grinder so some serious kit but the coffee is amazing.

As a start I would recommend a Rancilio Silvia machine and probably a Rancilio Rocky grinder or similar. Basically you need a conical burr grinder. The only trouble is they’re not cheap as there is a lot of demand on the second hand market. My first proper machine was an Expobar Office Control I picked up on ebay for just under your budget which was a really good heat exchanger machine and better than the Rancilio I would say.

There’s loads of information on the coffeegeek website including easy to follow guides on how to make a proper espresso and how to froth milk properly. I’d suggest reading around a bit before making a decision.

And for coffee I can wholeheartedly recommend hasbean.co.uk They roast the beans after you order then supply them whole or ground how you want, so are really fresh and the service is fantastic.

Once you get the hang of it you won’t want to drink coffee at most coffee shop chains again as your own efforts should be much better.

I’ve spent a lot but I used to have one or two at Neros or Pret a day so the kit has paid for itself over the last few years.

v8ninety

Haha, what did I say? Oh yes…

Hate to be the first to say it, but the obvious choice is a Gaggia Classic. I bought mine second hand and I’m well chuffed with it. (beware the caffeine OD when you first have it! )
    Someone will be along shortly to recommend a Rancillio Silvia, and someone else will say to blow your budget on a decent grinder. Both of which are perfectly valid points…

Travis

nespresso machine here.

At 6 in the morning, just turn it on, drop in a pod, and it’s good to go.
    And then, so am I

charlierevell
    Free Member

Anyone tried this? Is it any good??

Cremaroma

charlierevell
    Free Member

Hmmm now out of stock…. Probably because they were £400 down to £200!!

Dan1502
    Free Member

Lol at V8ninety, I didn’t read your post before posting. I started with a La Pavoni lever machine but that was hard work. My current machine means switching it on as soon as I get up (or you can use a timer) then having a shower then making the coffee. Yes, it’s hassle but it’s definitely worth it if you love coffee.

And regarding the caffeine OD, that is so true. I was literally sweating after each coffee when I first bought my Expobar machine. I then started using various beans from South America that Steve at hasbean recommended as being lower caffeine content and don’t get that anymore. Just enough to give me a kick up the arse to get going in the morning.

Regarding the Silvia, they are so well known as being the supposedly best ‘entry level’ proper machine that second hand prices can be daft. I managed to get a better machine cheaper. I think mine was £235 or £270. It was well used but fine after a proper descale and parts are easy to fit if required anyway. I think I sold it for about £330 a year or two later at which point I picked up my current machine for not all that much more.

coolhandluke
    Free Member

I have one of these and its been most reliable, easy to clean, takes any coffee I care to put in it.

Only a few quid to buy too.

MrSynthpop
    Free Member

Also lol at V8ninety, I fell right into your trap!

I’ve also done the OD thing when I got the Pavoni – kept trying different grind/pull combinations and ended up sweating coffee, couldn’t sleep that night.

Wouldn’t reccomend the Pavoni for a first proper machine tbh, while I enjoy the effort and find it fulfilling to get it spot on it is a pain sometimes at 5.30 in the morning when you really just want some coffee, on the other hand it has an enormous brass eagle on it which is something you can’t say for the silvia. UK Coffee Forums have some guides and reviews of kit available in the UK in the forum including some cheaper grinders and machines that still do the job.

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘Coffee makers – help, more choice than tyres…’ is closed to new replies.