• This topic has 23 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by sp.
Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Clent Hills
  • luke1688

Bit of a specific question to any locals really. I’ve ridden at Clent a fair few times but I’ve noticed a few guys recently riding up/down the road to Stourbridge from Clent i.e. past Wychbury. I just wondered if there was a way of riding up to Clent from Stourbridge off road. I’ve looked on my OS maps but can only find footpaths. Bit of cheeky riding going on? Any help would be great! Cheers

jkomo

I grew up sledging at clent, my Mom is still near although I moved away.
    Where are the bike trails?

stpugh
    Free Member

Which area you coming from luke1688? If it’s kingswinford way then there’s a fair bit of off road up to Hagley then some country lanes up to Clent.

luke1688

From Stourbridge. I know the way via the country lanes but I’ve seen bikers coming out near the cattery at the top of the hill by the island on the A456. Sort of over behind Hagley Hall. Any ideas?
    Jkomo there’s trails all over Clent and Walton just follow the bridleways

bullandbladder
    Free Member

Grab an OS map – are you sitting comfortably?

From S’bridge – cut through the estate and across the golf course (Stourbridge golf club, footpath so ‘get off and push’) cross Greyhound lane at the end straight onto Ounty John lane. This turns into a dirt road giving you a number of options. Best bet is to turn obvious next right, then left at the top (just past the fenced-off thingimajig), through gateway. Check your map, keep heading vaguely in this direction, you will come into Hagley (hint: cross the railway line), then make your way upto Holy Cross thru lanes, then upto the hills.

Alternatively, head out of Wollaston to the dead-end (by the big island near the crematorium). Get on the sandy track and just follow it pretty much all the way to Hagley. (Cross Sugar Loaf Lane, past Norton Covert, cross Norton Road onto County lane). Keep following obvious path (bridleway) always heading in the same general direction. You’ll eventually emerge at Stakenbridge just outside Hagley. As above, head via lanes to Holy Cross, then Hills.

HTH.

Houns

I ride up the Hagley road until the foley island, ride up past the church (pedmore lane) chuck my bike over the style on the right, ride cheekily up the back of Whychbury, over the gate at the top, down through the woods to the road, carry along the road to the t junction, turn right, past the rugby club, down to the island, cross over the dual carriage way then follow the track around the back of the houses and through the clent estate.

Other than that similar to Bullandbladder

Edit

My route will bring you out at the cattery/kennels

luke1688

Thanks very much b and b! Unfortunately those are my local trails so I know them well (county lane etc) Its the last bit up to Clent from Hagley that I was after. I think basically its just on the lanes unless I wanna push up the footpaths. I know there’s a few cheeky trails on the hills but I guess there’s nothing off road to get up there from Hagley

stpugh
    Free Member

Sorry mate I head from Kford to wollaston then past Norton Covert (all woods). I have done Roundhill Wood from Pedmore lane then drop down to an across the A456 just up from the lights by the garage head over to Hagley Hall and there’s a singletrack path that takes you up to Clent but it still involved a the road up to Pedmore lane.

Houns

At ounty John lane I stead of going through the gate, if you turn left, go past the big houses, over train line, over the road then there is a warren of bridleways throughout the red lake drive estate that if you choose the right one will bring you out on the foley island

Houns

If I can be bothered tomorrow I’ll reinstall memory map on my laptop and show you all the routes

luke1688

Houns I think that’s the way I’m looking for. Where is the track that leads through the Clent estate? Just up from the island by the rugby club? Appreciate all the help guys!

Houns

I’m on my crappy iPad which is rubbish for stuff like this, I’ll see what I can do…

The track is a drive that goes off the island before you get to the badgers set/beefeater. It’s marked private but you can ride it

bullandbladder
    Free Member

It’s pretty much on the opposite side of the island from the road you come out of (Wassel Grove?). Starts off as a big, obvious dirt road.

bullandbladder
    Free Member

Oops, too slow.

singlespeedstu

The track is a drive that goes off the island before you get to the badgers set/beefeater. It’s marked private but you can ride it

This. 8)

Houns

Best I can do for now

http://db.tt/Mq0uswX4

See the Track behind Hagley hill farm barns? That’s where to go

Houns

Yeah what ssstu says

The path to get you there …….

Chuck bike over style here
    http://www.streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?x=391494&y=282195&z=120&sv=391494,282195&st=4&ar=y&mapp=map.srf&searchp=ids.srf&dn=767&ax=391494&ay=282195&lm=0

And climb right to the top (top gets really claggy when wet) as you go over gate at the top look for feint trail to you left, this weaves around down the hill, eventually crossing a small ditch taking you on to main trail which ends at the gate on the road

singlespeedstu

There’s also a path/track that runs from oldswinford church to pedmore.
    Then another path/track that goes through the woods in pedmore that’ll take you towards the last track houns linked to.

luke1688

Cheers guys that’s exactly what I was looking for-the little track opposite the island and the right turn. Really appreciate it!

nwill1
    Free Member

I’ll give that a shot too….cheers.

votchy
    Free Member

The ‘private road’ off the roundabout at the top of the hill is now gated at the houses with very clear signs saying private property, to get round this head a bit further up the dual carriageway and over the style (it may be in the links above, not opened them to view sorry)

Beerbadger
    Free Member

Hi Luke if you’re ever after local routes you can always pop to twowheels (map in hand)and ask for the long haired one. I hear he rides local trails. Although you’ll never catch him posting on here! : 😯

sp
    Free Member

In response to the OP, the track you refer to is private. We have all been cheeky for years and used it with any problems. However after a chance encounter with the gamekeeper amongst other issues I was told some mountain bikers had “verbally abused” a lone women driving along this track and as a result we are not tolerated any more. As fare as I know there is no way to access the hill from this side. Its the usual case of the minority spoiling it for the majority.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Clent Hills’ is closed to new replies.