Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)
  • Classifieds forum etiquette
  • andyl46
    Free Member

Not sure of the etiquette here, I posted an ad asking for x for an item. A member offers (x-y) before another member offers the full asking. The first member then offers the full asking. Ebay-esque rules would say the first bidder to offer the asking gets the goods, but this isn’t ebay, thank goodness.

Is there an accepted way of doing this? Dont want to be out of order…

Bregante

Fairest thing is probably to sell them to me. I could do with some overshoes and they’re my size! 🙂

loddrik
    Free Member

Your item, your choice. I’d personally give it to the first person who offered the asking…

If the first person would have offered the asking price then they’d have bought it, simple enough.

Bregante

I’d offer em to the person who offered first tbh, at the full asking price….

andrewh
    Free Member

Offering and paying are quite different…

druidh
    Free Member

First person to offer what you’re asking, unless you’d already agreed to sell them at the lower price.

I really don’t see where the question lies.

benjbish

+1 for what Druidh said.

bruneep

What they said ^

However £32.50? 😉

coolhandluke
    Free Member

For a contract of sale to exist the offer needs to be accepted.

Assuming member 1 offers x-y and it wasn’t an acceptable offer, all be it the first one, it has effectively been rejected (I assume)

The fact that it was first offer is irrelevant.

when member 2 offers x, I assume that offer is accepted, or will be at least as you have received an offer you indicated would be accepted, (the asking price)

If member 1 then offered X after, then it has to be rejected as the offer has already been accepted, or will be. He’s too late.

If you accepted member 1’s offer and then got a better offer from member 2, then sell the item to member 1 at their offer of x-y

boblo
    Free Member

@CHL…is that the intro to ‘One song to the tune of another’…? 🙂

scaredypants

God, yeah – whoever offers an acceptable price 1st

we’ll be onto “dibs” next 🙄

hora
    Free Member

If someone offers the asking they get it. Just because someone posts first but with a lower amount- are you saying that person kicked off?!!!

tails
    Free Member

yeah i’d sell them to pete!!

Rochey
    Free Member

I was the person who offered a lower price but then increased my offer to the asking price.

Also the “seller” didn’t respond to the offer and I was waiting for him to say no, if no was no then I would have increased to the full asking price.

In my eye, you talk to the first person before accepting the next offer, first come first served.

Liftman

1st person that offers asking price wins it.

hora
    Free Member

Rochey I see what you mean but when I’ve sold stuff. I’ve opened an email with a low offer. Sometimes just closed it. Then another comes along from someone else – open and its full asking. Then theres another email from the low-offer bod. I’ve just left that unread. (as reasonably you think its not a priority).

vinnyeh

Lesson is, if you really want it offer the asking price at the start.

Otherwise why not put in a silly low bid, then spend the next week trying to screw every last penny off the price, then decide that you don’t really want it cos the price is still too high, meanwhile the seller has alienated any other interested parties cos they can’t be bothered hagingin around.

nealglover
    Free Member

In my eye, you talk to the first person before accepting the next offer, first come first served.

No sorry. That’s rubbish.

If you didn’t get a reply, that’s because he was rejecting your offer.

He replied to an offer he wanted to accept.

If you wanted it you should have bought it ?

yossarian
    Free Member

Also the “seller” didn’t respond to the offer and I was waiting for him to say no, if no was no then I would have increased to the full asking price.

They are his overshoes and he can sell them to whoever he likes. Just cos you’ve made an offer it doesn’t mean he has to talk to you first. Next time don’t be cheeky and offer less than he’s asking. 😉

hora
    Free Member

When I recently sold a frame I received a fair few cheeky offers. I didn’t even bother replying to 95% of them. Partly because I thought my advertised price was priced to sell. The problem is some people low-ball thinking someone will bite eventually.

theotherjonv

IMHO, this isn’t ebay and as such there are no hard and fast rules. Common sense says that once you agree a sale then you are held to it so don’t accept any until you are happy with what you have. To me though that includes being happy with who you sell to, if for example you get an offer from a ‘regular’ vs one for the same price from someone with little / no history, I’d favour the regular for my own security irrespective of who offered first.

And when buying, don’t offer and agree a price and then start haggling backwards. Do your research and define a fair price first. Offering the full asking price to get dibs and then backtracking will lose both the item and get a blackmark in my opinion. Exceptions would be possible of course (subject to pics for example) but most of us are smart and would spot a blagger.

Sheesh, that sounds more like house buying! Who’s got the best chain, subject to survey, etc! Rather than trying to get a pound extra off an old seatpost that you don’t even have a bike for yet 😉

donsimon
    Free Member

To the first person who commits.

Junkyard
    Free Member

sell it to them both and get a new log in

Frankers
    Free Member

I agree with Hora, i would accept the 1st offer of the full asking price and don’t always reply to lower offers coming through.

Common sense would suggest if you’re not prepared to offer the full asking price you stand a good chance of losing out

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

I’d say that if you put in an offer below asking then you are accepting that you might not get the item if someone else comes in with full asking price. If you want the item, then pay the asking price, if you’re prepared to loose it then make an offer.

On the flip side to this if the seller has accepted an offer price then that should be honoured regardless of higher offers at a later date, that would be gazumping and is poor form.

saxabar
    Free Member

if the seller has accepted an offer price then that should be honoured regardless of higher offers at a later date

Indeed. Law of the jungle might dictate otherwise, but etiquette suggests that a once a deal is agreed it should be fulfilled.

hora
    Free Member

I’m no angel. None of us are – I’ve offered lower. Then heard nothing but I know I’m open to losing out. It is the risk you take though so one shouldn’t be offended.

What amazes me is the speed that people dibs certain things- almost like they are refreshing their for sale page!!!

Rochey
    Free Member

OK, I have read the comments, however what is wrong with offering a lower price first and waiting for a answer (he may have said yes)? if someone comes in and offers the full price surly you would go back to the first person and ask them to increase there offer (which i did increase).

I find this strange.

druidh
    Free Member

Sorry buddy, but you seem to be in a minority of one here.

bobfromkansas
    Free Member

nope, i would categorise the offers into 2, those that meet the asking price, and those that that don’t, wouldn’t deal with the those that don’t until after i have dealt with those that do.
    you’re trying it on to get it cheaper, can’t complain if it burns you.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Rochey – Member

I was the person who offered a lower price but then increased my offer to the asking price.

But you did not offer the full price – someone else did before you did so they were the first come thus first served.

hora
    Free Member

Say I’m selling a 2010 Santa Cruz Heckler frame.

I advertise it as £650 as great condition. Now £1,100 new at Stif etc.

First person puts (or emails me) ‘would you take £600 as they were £899 new’?

I reply ‘no thank you’ (or wait as its a new for sale ad/no hasty rush).

Within a couple of hours someone says ‘I’ll take it at the asking price’.

Why would anyone in the right mind say ‘hang on, there may be someone ahead of you but he low-balled me’. Why would you risk battering around and risk losing the buyer who actually offered you what you wanted?!!!

bobfromkansas
    Free Member

it’s not a perfect system but it is one that allows you to make an offer and then retract it, say on some cables???

stilltortoise
    Free Member

what is wrong with offering a lower price first and waiting for a answer (he may have said yes)?

Nothing, but you may have a long wait if there are interested parties who are offering the asking price, which there were in this case.

if someone comes in and offers the full price surly you would go back to the first person and ask them to increase there offer (which i did increase).

The sooner you realise you’re on your own with this, the happier you will be. Besides which, for all you know there were 30 others before you who did not offer the asking price either. You took a gamble and missed out. Better luck next time 🙂

Rochey
    Free Member

hora,

I understand your point and agree totally, however the seller has NOT said No or infact responded, I was waiting for him to answer the offer, is that wrong 😯

I offered low, waiting for a responce, if my offer is declined and I say I’ll pass then yes more onto the next person but in this case I offered £25 and wait the answer,

I have increased my offer to the asking price and still wait his response.

hora
    Free Member

Like I said. Sometimes I wont even reply if its below. If no one says they’ll take it at the asking I might go through my emails and go to the second offer-types.

tails
    Free Member

I guess you could go back and offer £35!!

Rochey
    Free Member

bob, you are correct but FYI I am now buying the cables, just waiting his payment details.

Rochey
    Free Member

saxabar
    Free Member

As above, if I make a low offer I do it to give the vendor a back-up option on an item I do not consider ‘must have’. They are under no moral obligations to answer my communication at this stage.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)

The topic ‘Classifieds forum etiquette’ is closed to new replies.