Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • Classifiedes Etiquette Q
  • PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Advertised some Pikes on Monday. Got a buyer who said he's pay yesterday. I'm in no great rush so wasn't too bothered that he didn't. But now I've got a queue forming, other people have found the advert, and I only placed it once…..

I've emailed him…. How long should I wait?

I HATE situations like this, I always feel as though I'm stitching someone up, even though I'm not!

Oh, and the bloke second in line can come and pick them up and has money waiting! Arrggghhh!

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I'd give him 24 hrs to respond to your email

missingfrontallobe
    Free Member

Sell them to someone who has the cash now, how quick you sell is down to how quick you want the cash, not when someone "might" have the money for you.

I expressed an interest in some items last week, and told the seller that I needed to check one thing, in the meantime someone else expressed an interest and must have offered payment there & then, the seller sold to the other bloke. My loss, should have been quicker.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

See, 2 totally different views already. Bugger. 😉

flippinheckler
    Free Member

Sell them to the person with the cash, 1st buyer has had his chance, its not your fault, nice that your giving him further opportunity but he did not pay when he said he would.

the-muffin-man

Advertised some Pikes on Monday. Got a buyer who said he's pay yesterday

How is he supposed to have paid?

Posted cheque? Bank Transfer? or Paypal?

If the first two then surely you should give him a couple of days grace.

chakaping
    Free Member

Yeah, hold your horses. The first buyer probably has a reasonable excuse, or just cocked up.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Muffin Man – Paypal.

I'm giving him until later today.

uplink
    Free Member

I'm giving him until later today.

Sounds about right

poppa
    Free Member

I would give him 12hrs – some people can't access e-mail at work. To be honest if you have a queue forming, does it matter if he pulls out? Unless you are having a cashflow problem and need the money NOW!

Ewan
    Free Member

Cash buyer wins in my opinion. You snooze you loose. He's not met his side of the bargain (i.e. didn't pay and hasn't contacted you).

iainc

most people are reasonable. I'd tell number 2 the situation you are in and if number 1 hasn't responded by end of this evening, then sell to number 2. fair allround

dustytrails

The fella has had plenty of time to pay (24hrs?)- if he was serious he would have paid sharpish!! IMHO

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I'd tell number 2 the situation

He knows all about it.

Number 1 emailed me during the day………

I did ask him to let me know if he was going to drop out, too, because I had another buyer at the time, so he knows the situaltion. I now have a queue…..

poisonspider
    Free Member

Screw No1 and sell to No2 he should have been quicker about it. That's the problem with the classifieds, too many freaking tyre kickers.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I'm in no rush, but number 2 is very keen!

akira

Hey what Pikes are they might be interested? 😉

poisonspider
    Free Member

Stop agonising about it just **** him off and close the deal!!!!

paulrockliffe
    Free Member

Yeah **** him. Or sell to me.

obirobkeno
    Free Member

I've had this situation… I e-mailed Person 1, giving them a deadline (now +24hrs) and explaining why. Explained to Person 2 and they were cool, knowing they were next in line… Person 1 never contacted again, so Person 2 walked with some nice bits… 😀 Good luck, PP!

PeterPoddy
    Free Member
    radoggair
    Free Member

give him till at least 6pm for work reasons. If you have a queue your guaranteed a sell anyway

dans160
    Free Member

I find the classifieds a bit of a mare at times. I've sold plenty of kit on here to plenty of good people but there are a few who have you taking and posting even more photos, measuring head angles and the like ( you know who you are ) and never getting back to you afterwards. Grrr.

Padowan
    Free Member

My ethics:

If buyer 1 had verbally agreed to buy AND agreed terms/method of payment then I would hold off selling to #2 until it's clear that he's not sent the monies in the fashion agreed (more or less immediate for PayPal, a day or 2 for bank transfers)

If it's a case of #1 said he THINKS he wants them but needs to check something out (no agreement on payment method/timing expectation) then I'd sell them to another party who's got the readies burning a hole in their pocket and is prepared to commit to a timescale for payment – unless you have agreed with #1 a timescale upon which you'll "reserve" the sale for him.

(In fact I was "the other guy" mentioned in missingfrontallobe's example above – sorry MFL)

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

If buyer 1 had verbally agreed to buy AND agreed terms/method of payment then I would hold off selling to #2 until it's clear that he's not sent the monies in the fashion agreed (more or less immediate for PayPal, a day or 2 for bank transfers)

He said he was going to pay me by Paypal yesterday. I wasn't too fussed about waiting a day or two at the time, but would have emailed him today anyway, as I had 2 others interested, but at a lower price.
    Today I've had another offer to match the first, but he's local and wants to pick up tomorrow or Friday, and seems very keen

So, to be brutally honest No1 has had about 43 hours to pay now since his last email.

And when I put it like that, 3pm seems more than generous to me!

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Update – No1 just emailed me. He's had problems with his paypal account and will either pay tonight or send a cheque…….

J0N
    Free Member

PP. I am the one committed to buying the Pikes. I said I would pay and you said you were not in a rush when I explained that very day that I was setting up my Bank account to put money into pay pal to pay you by this method.
    I'm sorry If this is longer than you would like but did say you were not in a rush. I'm surprised that in two days you are already feeling impatient.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I'm not impatient at all, as I said in the OP of this thread. 🙂
    I just have other people after them that are, and it's a delicate balancing act from my point of view.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

To be honest, I really REALLY hate stuff like this.

This is how it sits in my head.

I have some forks to sell. I'm in no great rush to sell them because (To be 100% brutally honest with you) there's a part missing that I've been scrabbling all week to get hold of so I can sell them in TIP TOP condition.
    SEE HERE!
    That in itself is a faff. I didn't realise they needed said part until the evening after I placed the ad. I WILL NOT sell them as they are though, even though you might not notice.
    I'm trying my very best to sell something as good as it can be. I very nearly paid £30 for a new Maxle for you, but hopefully STW will come up trumps.

I've got one person who got in fast and might end up taking a week to pay (Really no bother at all, due to the above, but that's the way it is)

And another who wants to pick them up tomorrow and has money waiting

And 2 more offers behind that, FFS!

Im not in a rush but it's doing my head in to be honest.

Sorry. My sincere apologies for trying my best to please everyone.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I give up. Pay me, don't pay me. Who cares? End of subject.
    🙁

stuartanicholson
    Free Member

To be fair, if i said i would pay on a certain day and had a problem/delay i would let the seller know and assure him/her that the money is def on the way. Sounds like nothing of this sort has happened, so PP has a good right to ask moral advice.
    I've had people in the past say they'll pay and weeks later (and other buyers lost) im no further forward…

juan
    Free Member

I don't care about loosy forks, but I want the first bids on your van 😉

J0N
    Free Member

I appreciate your honesty. So how long have I got now? 😕

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

YGM 🙂

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

The topic ‘Classifiedes Etiquette Q’ is closed to new replies.