Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Cinema tonight, what to see?
  • Bagstard
    Free Member

I’m taking my Mum to see a film this evening, The War Horse, Sherlock Holmes and The Grey all start at the same time. Recommendations please?!

jonba
    Free Member

I’ve only seen war horse out of your list but I’d recommend it.

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

same as above

CountZero

I’ve seen Sherlock and enjoyed it, but it might not be to your mum’s taste, The Grey looks a bit blokey, Warhorse is probably more her thing, or you could try The Artist, the B&W silent movie. Going to see that tonight.

colande
    Free Member

I thought warhorse was terrible, so ridiculous not in a good way either,
    “come on joey, you can do it”
    but everyone else seems to love it.

i really liked The artist,
    also saw the Desendants last night, which i thought was good, really beautiful film

or maybe haywire? but i think there is a bit too much hand to hand fighting for your mum 🙂

Bagstard
    Free Member

Luckily for me my Mum doesn’t mind a bit of action in films, I’m swaying towards Sherlock at the moment.

Dr_Bakes

The Grey is a bit of a thriller, beautifully shot with some ‘jump out of your seat’ moments. I’d not take my mum but yours may be made of stronger stuff?!

Neeson is very good in it but the plot is a little frustrating and had me muttering ‘why would they do that’ on a number of occasions!

Sherlock is probably a better bet, great fun with a bit of Stephen Fry in the buff for good measure! I wasn’t keen on the look of Warhorse so can’t comment.

stumpy01

Went to see Sherlock just before Christmas and it was great. Very funny, full of action and witty one-liners.

I also want to go & see War Horse at some point as well as Girl with the Dragon Tattoo & The Artist.

Never find the time to fit the cinema in…

fervouredimage
    Free Member

As a self confessed film obsessive I have seen all of the above mentioned so:

Warhorse – Not bad but not great. It’s classic Spielberg, a popcorn movie which knowingly attempts to tug at your heartstrings. It was a bit much for me though. You’ll either enjoy it for what it is or vomit and accuse it of being too manipulative.

Sherlock 2: Same as the first one. Decent flick, nothing amazing but no worse or no better than number one. Just good fun.

The Grey: Looks beautiful, sounds beautiful and has some ‘moments’. A visual feast but no great depth.

The Artist: Perhaps not quite as overwhelming as some reviews have made it out to be but it is a great movie. It’s different without being challenging. I defy anyone not to enjoy it regardless of your standpoint on film.

The Descendants: Wonderful film. Clooney is superb. Heartwarming and well crafted.

My pick would be The Descendants as I’m sure both you and your mum would enjoy it.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Cinema tonight, what to see?’ is closed to new replies.