• This topic has 56 replies, 22 voices, and was last updated 15 years ago by Soup.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 57 total)
  • christianity: a history
  • rOcKeTdOg

whilst i respect a persons beliefs, the ‘christian scientist’ who believes that dinosaurs walked the earth with ‘Adam’ scared me a little

RudeBoy
    Free Member

Creationism?

Quite interesting, actually.

I’ve never believed in carbon dating stuff. I reckon the ‘scientists’ just make it up…

sodafarls
    Free Member

His arrogance in assuming that it was only his specific “faith” that gave him a right to have an interest in how the world works, as “god” apparently wanted him to know so he could understand all around him,suggesting that those with a lack of “faith” don’t really have the right motivation, was annoying.
    Anyway, there is no reason to respect others beliefs. Respect them as human beings yes, but their beliefs? nfw.

RudeBoy
    Free Member

If you respect someone as a Human being, then you should also respect their right to their belief.

andym
    Free Member

…no matter how barking mad it is.

RudeBoy
    Free Member

To each their own, eh?

sodafarls
    Free Member

then you should also respect their right to their belief.

Yeah, that’s easy. I respect their right to holding silly notions, but I’m under no obligation to respect whatever fantasies they have created or have been given. Simple really.

alpin
    Free Member

a force for bad….

i actually lose a little a little respect for people upon finding out they ‘believe’.

believe in yourself and those around you, not a book.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

the ‘christian scientist’ who believes that dinosaurs walked the earth with ‘Adam’ scared me a little

well, presumably any god* worth its salt could capriciously create a plausible fossil record ?

To my mind, fossils are fascinating (and the subject of my daughter’s PhD), but they don’t provide any useful guidance on how to live our lives now. I wonder what the creatures who dig up our bones in 100,000,000 years will think about us ?

* or Slartybardfast

sodafarls
    Free Member

To my mind, fossils are fascinating (and the subject of my daughter’s PhD), but they don’t provide any useful guidance on how to live our lives now.

Should they?

rOcKeTdOg

the guy denied the fossil record though

didn’t he do the fjords and got an award?

GNARGNAR
    Free Member

RudeBoy
    Creationism?

Quite interesting, actually.

I’ve never believed in carbon dating stuff. I reckon the ‘scientists’ just make it up…

Do you believe in DNA? If you had reason to suspect you were illigitimate how would you go about proving it? Do you believe in gravity? How do you decide which sciences to believe and which to be suspicious of? Is it exhaustive research and study or paranoia?

grizzlygus
    Free Member

the ‘christian scientist’ who believes that dinosaurs walked the earth with ‘Adam’ scared me a little

Why is it scary ?

I find people who find other peoples beliefs “scary” erm ……. well scary

Fear of the unknown is the bases of all prejudice. And a powerful and dangerous emotion.

sodafarls
    Free Member

Fear of the unknown is the bases of all prejudice.

No it’s not. I know a snake may bite me, a shark may devour me etc…it’s not a fear of the “unknown” it’s a learning process based on past experiences, and when someone expresses fear of religious fundamentalism being in a position of power over them (which you could extrapolate that this “academic” could be through the acceptance and teaching of his of his “beliefs” in schools, or the ostraciscation from positions of power of those who do not share the same delusions ) then that would be based on either personal recollections of a similar situation, or cultural “rememberings” of just that situation. Which is all too common.

alwyn
    Free Member

Bored already, didn’t we have this last week?

EdwardH

To each their own would be nice. The problem is the vast majority of those with religious beliefs have no problem aiming vicious criticism at those who

b

est chance that they could be wrong.

Where as the average atheist accepts that though there is no proof for god or any of the other nonsense associated with the belief in such superstitious rubbish, that at some far and distant and unlikely point in time they could be proven wrong. After all, I fully believe in evolution, even though it is still only a theory. It is just the best theory that fits the facts.

And the facts as far as I can see them, prove that THERE IS NO GOD YOU MUMBLING SIMPLE MINDED IDIOT………….

And relax

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

Should they?

no, but my remark was addressed to the discussion of fossils in relation to religion

Do you believe in gravity? How do you decide which sciences to believe and which to be suspicious of?

simple! Doubt everthing! To date my scepticism about gravity has failed to allow me to fly, but I live in hopes :o)

miketually
    Free Member

The problem is the vast majority of those with religious beliefs have no problem aiming vicious criticism…

THERE IS NO GOD YOU MUMBLING SIMPLE MINDED IDIOT………….

lol

grizzlygus
    Free Member

No it’s not.

Yes it is.

Greater understanding leads to more tolerance and less prejudice.

rOcKeTdOg

i believe the scientist with the hadron colider had the best line

if science makes a new discovery that changes what we already know, we embrace the proof and move on, whereas a religion would just deny it

scary as the guy was so single minded and was clearly teaching children at the museum/exhibit his one blinkered view of the universe, something i think is a recipe for disaster

epicyclo

Far more dangerous is the green dogma that passes for environmental science.

With religion we don’t have to participate, whereas the green dogma is invading our life.

sodafarls
    Free Member

Greater understanding leads to more tolerance and less prejudice.

Of what? an individuals personal creations or cultural delusions? I’m all for tolerating this sort of behaviour as long as it does not interfere with anybody else, but really…don’t suggest that I should respect what every individual may dredge up from their inner mind to explain the world around us.

ps, my apologies for the re-edit back up a bit.

sodafarls
    Free Member

Far more dangerous is the green dogma that passes for environmental science.

What part of it, and why? I’m interested, seriously.

Coyote
    Free Member

i actually lose a little a little respect for people upon finding out they ‘believe’

Of course, not allowed ‘beliefs’ are we. If you can’t touch it, it doesn’t exist.

By the way that anti-christianity threads usually go on to reach 100+ posts, mainly consisting of ridicule, I do sometimes wonder why people on here see it as such a threat. Markedly different to an anti-islam thread which will have people crawling out of the woodwork to defend peoples right to their own beliefs.

grizzlygus
    Free Member

Of what?

Of the fact there is nothing to fear.

WTF did the OP talk about being a ‘little scared’ about this guy’s nonsense beliefs ? They don’t frighten me, and nor does anyone else’s beliefs of how the world was created.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

I do sometimes wonder why people on here see it as such a threat

Well, Christianity has quite a threatening past, Crusades, Inquisition, burning at stakes etc etc. Currently many Christians believe in The Rapture, which leads to their support of Israel in hastening the emergence of the Antichrist 🙁

sodafarls
    Free Member

They don’t frighten me

Me neither to be honest, although I would feel concern when unsupported ideas of that nature gain some sort of respectability, in say our education system. And that is not too hard to imagine.

grizzlygus
    Free Member

gain some sort of respectability, in say our education system. And that is not too hard to imagine.

Well it is for me.

But then I don’t live in the United States.

Coyote
    Free Member

Currently many Christians believe in The Rapture, which leads to their support of Israel in hastening the emergence of the Antichrist

Define ‘many’.

miketually
    Free Member

Define ‘many’.

‘Many’ generally means ‘some’, when used to describe what ‘many’ Christians believe/say/do 🙂

RudeBoy
    Free Member

alwyn – Member
    Bored already, didn’t we have this last week?

Yeah, but I think it’s a weekly fixture.

Fancy a game of STW Forum Scrabble, instead?

samuri
    Free Member

simple! Doubt everthing! To date my scepticism about gravity has failed to allow me to fly, but I live in hopes :o)

try taller buildings. 😉

Coyote
    Free Member

Lol @ Samuri!

sodafarls
    Free Member

Well it is for me.

Fair enough, but would you agree that the UK, esp it’s education system and some rather important policy makers have expressed publicly more interest in religious sects (eg Opus Dei)in recent years than you feel comfortable with? And let’s not go into the renewed vigour for “faith schools”.

sodafarls
    Free Member

Fancy a game of STW Forum Scrabble, instead?

Yeah, cos last time innit, you gave up and went to bed 😉

grizzlygus
    Free Member

I’m hugely unbothered about other people’s religious beliefs sodafarls.

I’m much more bothered with what the government is up to.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

try taller buildings.

If I manage sufficient scepticism I won’t need them 🙂

sootyandjim
    Free Member

I took my daughter to the Natural HIstory Museum the other weekend. Would it be the temple of the Great Satan to a Creationist?

The Darwin exhibition was completely sold out for both days so we went and looked at the dinosaurs (which to be honest is what my daughter wanted to see anyway).

RudeBoy
    Free Member

That reminds me also; a mate’s ex works in the Nat Hist, I’ll have to see if I can get tickets to Darwin and WPOTY.

Sooty; if I can get any spares, I’ll let you know.

Love the Nat Hist. Meant to go for the last few weeks, but been too busy. Deffo gonna try this week, though.

sootyandjim
    Free Member

RB – Did you know the NHM is open to about 2200 now days on certain days?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 57 total)

The topic ‘christianity: a history’ is closed to new replies.