Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 267 total)
  • Christian Hotel Ruling
  • Shibboleth
    Free Member

We live in a country that respects other peoples’ cultures and religions to the extent that the “powers that be” deem it necessary to remove pigs from childrens’ farmyard sets in toy shops, and yet we will persecute a Christian couple for trying to exercise their right to insist that couples who share beds in THEIR home, should be married in accordance with their religion.

I don’t necessarily agree with their views, but like my grandparents and great grandparents, I would be prepared to fight to the death to protect their right to make that choice.

This afternoon, I’m starting to wonder whether this country is still worth fighting for.

FuzzyWuzzy

You’d fight to the death over religion? I guess you’re part of the few billion other idiots who believe in ghost stories (or use them a way to persecute others…).

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Kettle’s just boiled, and there’s some Earl Grey ready.

Biscuit anyone?

Shibboleth
    Free Member

FuzzyWuzzy – Member

You’d fight to the death over religion?

No, I’d fight to the death for freedom of choice. 🙄

CaptJon
    Free Member

the “powers that be” deem it necessary to remove pigs from childrens’ farmyard sets in toy shops

Really?

bristolbiker
    Free Member

Assam here please, and a choclate Hobnob if you have them…..

<settles into the comfy chair for the afternoon, just in reach of F5>

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

You’d fight to the death for those two fuddy duddies? 😯

wwaswas

should be married in accordance with their religion.

I don’t think they insisted that people had a Christian marriage before they stayed there, just a marriage.

The judgement said that them exercising their rights shouldn’t be at the expense of someone elses.

Shibboleth
    Free Member

Captain Jon, they’ve removed pigs from farmyard sets in Toys R Us as they might offend muslims, who naturally must believe that pigs don’t exist.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Biscuit anyone?

Ooh, got any choccy digestives Flashy?

Not seen Shibby on here for a while. This should be fun! 😀

nickf
    Free Member

Shibboleth, you’re missing the point.

You can insist on whatever you like in your own home, but this was a B&B i.e. a commercial enterprise.

Would you be happy for a commercial enterprise to turn someone away because they were Jewish, Muslim, black? I know I wouldn’t.

IanMunro
    Free Member

I bought some Darejeeling last week. Not very impressed, so back on the Lady Grey now.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

they might offend muslims

**** muslims. Vegetarians and vegans probably whinge about them too.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Choccy diggers and Assam coming right up.

Cougar

Early Learning Centre, actually. And it wasn’t “the powers that be” that deemed anything, the ELC did it off their own bat.

Still, facts and rants, eh.

Cougar

**** muslims. Vegetarians and vegans probably whinge about them too.

I’m vegetarian and I don’t whinge about Muslims.

mrmo
    Free Member

any Jaffa cakes? really fancy one now.

Church and state separation, what you do in the privacy of your room is your problem, but expect me to conform to your ideas. As long as it is reasonable and within the law, that is how things are.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I’m vegetarian and I don’t whinge about Muslims.

Well until you do, you’re not staying in my B&B 😛

Lifer
    Free Member

Shibboleth – Member
    Captain Jon, they’ve removed pigs from farmyard sets in Toys R Us as they might offend muslims, who naturally must believe that pigs don’t exist.

Source?

(and the first person to say ‘Apple’ gets a slap!)

TijuanaTaxi
    Free Member

Should have just refused to let them stay citing the right to refuse to serve anyone
    Can hardly take anyone to court over an assumption, just as easy to say that room had a leaky bog or some such spurious excuse

Can’t blame them, I wouldn’t want anyone from Huntingdon staying in my house either

Cougar

Source?

Is Google down?

Shibboleth
    Free Member

Would you be happy for a commercial enterprise to turn someone away because they were Jewish, Muslim, black? I know I wouldn’t.

No, and this country prides itself on its willingness to respect other people’s religious beliefs. The owners didn’t turn them away because they held different religious beliefs, but because they weren’t joined in matrimony in a way recognised by their own religion.

The gay couple singled out the hotel BECAUSE of its stance on this, purely to make a political point. It’s completely unfair.

Yes, sorry, ELC not Toys R Us. The ‘Powers that Be’ to whom I was referring were in fact the powers that be. Idiot. 🙄

CaptJon
    Free Member

The ELC put them back:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-11765420

fourbanger
    Free Member

**** muslims

A hobby fraught with danger but highly satisfying.
    Back to topic. I’m sure if they really wanted to perpetuate this strange requirement within the bounds of the law, they could simply target their advertising, ie advertise in Christian publications etc… Some people just like to make a fuss.

iDave
    Free Member

I suspect the OP couldn’t fight to save his own life let alone someone stranger’s religious freedom

Shibboleth
    Free Member

Pig Story

🙄

Cougar

Well until you do, you’re not staying in my B&B

That’s fine, I probably couldn’t eat the &B bit anyway.

The ‘Powers that Be’ to whom I was referring were in fact the powers that be. Idiot.

No. The ELC *chose* to withdraw the pig based on ‘customer feeback’. No one made them do anything. Certainly not the powers that be, and what does that even mean anyway?

And, we’ll have less of the insults, if you don’t mind.

Shibboleth
    Free Member

iDave – Member

I suspect the OP couldn’t fight to save his own life let alone someone stranger’s religious freedom

You would have probably said that about my grandmother. She worked at Bletchley Park decoding Enigma machines and probably did far more to end the Second World War than any drafted man with a Lee Enfield and a bayonette. 🙄

fadda

Isn’t there some distinction between B&Bs and hotels, that means the owner of the former is allowed to take this stance as its still private property or something?

Anyway, CFH, is there any tea left please…?

nickf
    Free Member

The gay couple singled out the hotel BECAUSE of its stance on this, purely to make a political point. It’s completely unfair.

That’s your assertion, which they deny.

I have no religion; would you consider it reasonable for me to refuse you a room because you told me you were Christian?

hels
    Free Member

Shibboleth – I have just read your your post twice (and read the story earlier today) and I am still not sure on whose behalf you are indignant – the gay couple or the B & B owners ??

Perhaps the inclusion of some terminology like “religious fundamentalist nutters” or “leftie guradian reading fags” (but not both) might help get your point across better – I am not sure if I agree with you or not yet…

philconsequence
    Free Member

*realises new gap in the market*

*opens up “The coloured gay muslim and pig aknowledging B&B”*

*retires at 29years old*

Shibboleth
    Free Member

Cougar – Member and what does that even mean anyway?

I decide whether the toilet paper should hang next to the wall, or away from the wall. That’s because, in my bathroom, I am the powers that be.

Hope this clarifies things. 🙄

binners

WHAT?!! PIGS ARE REAL?!! REALLY?

Cougar

would you consider it reasonable for me to refuse you a room because you told me you were Christian?

Correct me if I’m wrong (I’ve not read the full story), but they weren’t refusing rooms to people who didn’t share their religion, they were refusing double rooms to unmarried couples? So the analogy doesn’t really work.

Is the issue really that a married gay couple wanted to book a room, and the owners refused to accept that their marriage was valid? Is that the actual story here?

terrahawk
    Free Member

ey up – he’s bringing his granny into it now.

CaptJon
    Free Member

To recap – pigs are still sold in ELC toy sets, and we’re not sure if the OP wants to die for Christians, B&B owners, or gay people… or all three groups, or just one.

philconsequence
    Free Member

shiboleth, if you knew what my grandparents did in the war you’d send me a cheque each month for being related to such awesomeness and set up a website apologising for ever doubting the quality of people with tatoos.

but what have grandparents got to do with the original idea of this thread? also what the deytookourjobs have muslim and ELC pig toys got to do with it too?

i eagerly await your response no doubt saying you didnt realise i was AWESOME and you’ll know fight for my right to post this 😀

Cougar

I decide whether the toilet paper should hang next to the wall, or away from the wall. That’s because, in my bathroom, I am the powers that be.

Well, no.

a) “the powers that be” generally imply some sort of government or ruling body. If I said “the powers that be told me I can’t have a dog” then I’d be unlikely to be refering to my girlfriend, unless I was trying to deliberately mislead.

b) you were talking about “the powers that be” removing pigs from toy sets, it wasn’t in reference to the B&B’s decision, so your bathroom has no relevance here.

You can stop rolling your eyes, too.

roper
    Free Member

iDave – Member

You would have probably said that about my grandmother. She worked at Bletchley Park decoding Enigma machines and probably did far more to end the Second World War than any drafted man with a Lee Enfield and a bayonette.

I think you just proved iDave right.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 267 total)

The topic ‘Christian Hotel Ruling’ is closed to new replies.