Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • Chipps' editorial…
  • simonfbarnes
    Free Member

"At the start of the year, perhaps after some time off over winter…."

Say WHAT ?? Does this mean Chipps is a winter tart ? That's shocking. It was silly enough when suggested by Kaesae (sp?) but a mountain bike mag editor only a part time rider ?

DezB
    Free Member

I think he must putting himself in the place of the reader.. hence "perhaps"?

Teetosugars
    Free Member

He rides CX at winter… 🙂

the-muffin-man

Does it matter how much he rides, as long as what he writes is worth reading!

clubber
    Free Member

And since it's pedant SFB, where did Chipps actually say that HE took time off over winter. He only said that perhaps some people do (and he's right – I know plenty of people who do though I can never really get it myself – I'd miss it too much).

Rickos
    Free Member

It was a bit difficult to ride in 12 foot of snow this year.

JoB
    Free Member

plenty of 'full-time' riders take time off the bike in the winter so they don't get tired and/or jaded, it's only the 'part-timers' that keep going

🙂

simonralli2
    Free Member

I like my mountain biking to be fun, not sub-zero sado-masochist. So sue me 😀

tails
    Free Member

I like my mountain biking to be fun, not sub-zero sado-masochist. So sue me

+1

Eccles
    Free Member

I alwas have at least a 3 week layoff from MTBing before I go away skiing to avoid silly injuries, it just so happens I went skiing a lot this year. The gopping weather and agreeable levels of central heating at home had nothing to do with it.

BigDummy
    Free Member

I ride my mountain bike far more in the summer than in the winter. I am a bad person.

jackthedog
    Free Member

I love dry dusty trails, but some times in summer, I miss the cold, wet and general misery. Don't know why.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I ride my mountain bike far more in the summer than in the winter. I am a bad person.

Yes. You are. And so am I.

I like riding to be fun. If it's not fun, I don't do it. And I've done my fair share of sub zero and/or soaked to the skin 'fun' thankyouverymuch!

bigyinn
    Free Member

Im miss any sort of biking at the moment. Fractured radial head means im off the bike for at least 3-4 weeks, no choice. cries

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I like riding my bike for fun, and as Swinely dries quickly* yet is bike destroying in the wet (got to love fine sand) I've decided I'm not going to go riding in the rain anymore. Doesn't seem to do Sam Hill any harm does it!

*gorrick enduro for example, the place was runined according to the locals, blood was bayed for, it would take years to recover apparently. A week later you'd barely know a single rider had passed through (the crap sections excepted, but no one uses them anyway)

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

plenty of 'full-time' riders take time off the bike in the winter so they don't get tired and/or jaded, it's only the 'part-timers' that keep going

a wonderfully ironic twist 🙂

I like riding to be fun. If it's not fun, I don't do it.

a good philosophy, however, on balance I prefer winter, better visibility and less chance of overheating. Also snow and ice, my favourites. Not that I ride any less in summer, that would be silly 🙂

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

I think he must putting himself in the place of the reader.. hence "perhaps"?

yes, I agree he didn't actually say he took the winter off, but he did seem to imply that he had had the experience of taking a break from riding from the context (of being unfamiliar with the bike). My only breaks from riding are when I'm broken, and coming back to the bike (any bike) is like coming home…

littlegirlbunny
    Free Member

I ride as much in the winter as the summer

But undoubtedly enjoy it 100% more in the summer

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Much prefer the road bike in winter though. In summer a nice long jaunt is fun, but in winter a 90min blast in the cold on a dry day is almost as good. Still shit in the rain mind you.

lazlo53
    Free Member

what Chipps does, is edit the finest mag available. But what it also seems he does, is to dip his foot into almost every aspect of cycling that's possible. I do like your photos Simon, but a little more sense of perspective please.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Chipps enjoys slippery, sopping wet and filthy muddy winter riding. I have witnessed this.

rOcKeTdOg

winter is for frosty night rides with sloe gin and blacjcurrant vodka

Big-Dave
    Free Member

Winter is what mudguards and singlespeeds were invented for.

Whatever, I thought the page devoted to Bert the dog was a nice touch.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

what Chipps does, is edit the finest mag available.

and I never said otherwise, but does that mean he is to be above criticism or teasing in all circumstances ?

But what it also seems he does, is to dip his foot into almost every aspect of cycling that's possible

oh, I see what you mean, the "not cycling at all cos it's nippy" aspect ? Reading on through the article there is enough of it in the first person to seem that he's expressing his own opinion, not that of others.

lazlo53
    Free Member

Simonfbarnes, you are a troll and I claim my £5

Pauly

SFB has a bee in his bonnet about some slight pwnage on another thread last night.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

Simonfbarnes, you are a troll and I claim my £5

so you think the peerless Chipps is beyond criticism? Isn't that being toady ? The only bee in my bonnet is having people encouraged to miss all the fun of winter riding 🙂

epicyclo

I prefer winter. Snow and ice and well below zero please 🙂

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

I like riding to be fun. If it's not fun, I don't do it. And I've done my fair share of sub zero and/or soaked to the skin 'fun' thankyouverymuch!

+ 1 with the photo's to prove it.

Today was nice.

simonralli2
    Free Member

The only bee in my bonnet is having people encouraged to miss all the fun of winter riding

I cannot but help think that people are able to make up their own minds without needing Chipp's advice, or your own! 🙂

Jamesy
    Free Member

another pointless thread by sfb , why do you bother ? 😉

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

another pointless thread by sfb

you might just as well say the original editorial was pointless…

cinnamon_girl

Some grumpy folk on here tonight 🙄

Jamesy
    Free Member

Nah I wouldn't say that I enjoy his editorials , your threads on the other hand to coin an old black country phrase 'suck chunder'

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

The topic ‘Chipps' editorial…’ is closed to new replies.