Viewing 11 posts - 41 through 51 (of 51 total)
  • Chevin Cycle Route
  • imnotamused
    Free Member

Id support this and i know others that will too

pstokes99
    Free Member

I would not want to be then heckled for not being on the "bike path" when Im on some of the nice cheeky stuff that I ride now

+1 I think that we'd loose far more than we'd possibly gain. However I accept that by not progressing it would mean that very local bike shops would not obtain a nice little test loop that they can use on saturday afternoons when the Chevin is busy and you might encouter a problem with other users of the Chevin. But that is a price I am willing to pay.

Cheeky-Monkey
    Free Member

I don't deny it's already quite a honey pot, however, having ridden there for a few years myself I think there's room for some improvement to make trails a bit more sustainable in places[/i]. Agree as well that trails should be multi-user.

breakneckspeed
    Free Member

I’ve notice that over the last couple of years or so there has been a lot of trail sanitising going on around the chevin – on the bridal ways – which has made it some what less challenging/ fun – admittedly some of the horrid muddy bits have been improved – but some nice legal technical singletrack) would be nice

Sancho
    Free Member

problem with multi user trails is that they end up like golden acre park which is like a motorway now.
    my fear there is that they will do the same with Meanwood valley and then we will lose a gem of a trail.
    as for the horse trail there is a trail there but I mean what if we were then excluded from all the wooded bits because the horses had a full "trail" built for them.
    but I like muddy sections that arent used much in winter, they become sustainable because they arent ridden much in winter.
    Its a bone of contention up there, but I expect the council to just sit on it and nothing to happen, good luck to the Chevin guys, I still aim to support other developments in Leeds, and the region.

mark_b
    Free Member

Agree as well that trails should be multi-user.

Have you seen the multi user trails they are building round Leeds at the moment?

There used to be a great bit of singletrack bridleway here which has recently been 'improved' to make it more 'accessible'.

And it's now a 6 foot wide straight motorway through what was a lovely bit of woodland.

No thanks to that.

Not everything has to be purpose built or even built to be sustainable to be enjoyable to ride.

Cheeky-Monkey
    Free Member

I'll put it another way, I would support trail development for use by all, rather than just for sole use by riders. That doesn't equate to motorways, in my eyes.

It would be unrealistic and (even less) likely to suceed (IMO) if it was badged as exclusive MTB development.

TBH, all I'm thinking of is taking out some of the worse (durability / pass-ability-wise) sections, creating or improving other linking pieces so there's a more distinct loop. However, this is all based on the existing tracks that are there and being ridden already. Just trying to make them fit and work together better. And, of course, making their use by riders legitimate, rather than a some fudge of permission / tolerance / blindsiding.

Not everything has to be purpose built or even built to be sustainable to be enjoyable to ride.

Sure, but if it stands up better and is more "passable" then that's an improvement AFAIC. Tracks, trails, RoW etc all change, evolve and degenerate over time. The track below the Viewpoint / next to the tombstones got surfaced a couple of years ago. IT's not as fun to ride but then it was probably never legit anyway plus it's not just about us riding it. Over time this will revert to something more interesting I'm sure.

willsimmons
    Free Member

Have you seen the multi user trails they are building round Leeds at the moment?

There used to be a great bit of singletrack bridleway here which has recently been 'improved' to make it more 'accessible'.

And it's now a 6 foot wide straight motorway through what was a lovely bit of woodland.

No thanks to that.

I would agree, the 'sustainable' bridleway work in the area is a joke, Golden Acre motorway is a travesty. I would be absolutely gutted if they did the same to Meanwood – I am a bit fearful though as they have been doing work around the entrances to the trails of late, which brings me to my next rant…. why can't they put the stoned blocking the entrance back properly? I've seen a few MX bikes (admittedly ridden by kids) on the trail recently which could potentially ruin a few sections. They could have gotten in before if they'd known where to go but it's not helping heving the obvious entry points unblocked. Bloody contractors…..

As for the Chevin then I have mixed feelings about it. I ride there pretty regularly but only as a transition trail e.g. on the way to Stainburn or Ilkley Moor etc. For what I use it for I'm happy with what is there, and if you look hard enough there are plenty of natural bits that although not 'legal' are great to ride. There probably is the audience for a trail which is not as full on as Stainburn, and more family orientated but I don't think that would interest me.

mark_b
    Free Member

TBH, all I'm thinking of is taking out some of the worse (durability / pass-ability-wise) sections, creating or improving other linking pieces so there's a more distinct loop. However, this is all based on the existing tracks that are there and being ridden already. Just trying to make them fit and work together better. And, of course, making their use by riders legitimate, rather than a some fudge of permission / tolerance / blindsiding.

But that doesn't sound like what Matt from Chevin Cycles is proposing – they want

cycle only singletrack route in Otley Chevin

that they can stick their name on and use to promote their brand.

mark_b
    Free Member

Actually, there is a horse specific trail already there, right at the top. You can gallop several hundred yards on a purpose built strip without endangering anybody

Ironically i've walked down there this year when the chevin was covered in snow – got some great sunset pictures.

Cheeky-Monkey
    Free Member

As me and PJ have helped Matt plan a potential route out and it was on the basis of the assumptions I wrote then I can only assume Matt's description is not entirely accurate / representative.

Then again, in his mind he might be thinking of something designed and built with bike riding in mind rather than anything else.

Dunno!

I'm not really bothered who's promoting it as, if it happens, I think it could be great. There's umpteen ways it could go awry or doom could be foretold but sod it, it's just bike tracks and a few more would be nice.

Viewing 11 posts - 41 through 51 (of 51 total)

The topic ‘Chevin Cycle Route’ is closed to new replies.