• This topic has 7 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by Bez.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Cheapish road wheels with "normal" spokes
  • stilltortoise
    Free Member

I bought some factory Shimano road wheels a couple of years ago and recently broke a spoke. I’m having a nightmare getting them repaired because no one stocks (or wants to order) the proprietary spokes (straight pull, flat bladed who-knows-what) that they need. I’ve tried several shops now and I’m getting a bit tired of being (road) bike-less.

Which brings me to the question, what wheels can I buy for up to £200 a set that come built with “standard” spokes so I can get the bloomin’ things repaired if and when I do bust a spoke?

cynic-al
    Free Member

£200 = cheap?

you can get handbuilt for that I’d have thought. 105 on open sport at least. With more spokes, less chance of breakage.

oxym0r0n

Which spoke do you need and for which wheel?

I have the exact same problem – mine are original 105s – spokes have a kink in them and are no longer available (I snapped a rear one) but my LBS ordered in a straight one by mistake so some are still available!!

stilltortoise
    Free Member

CheapISH Al. Judging by what’s on the market that’s cheapish

stilltortoise
    Free Member

To be honest I’m not sure what I need, other than it’s for a Shimano RS20 rear wheel from 2 or 3 years back, straight pull and bladed. I assume I can make some measurements but what?

oxym0r0n

Is it drive side or non drive side?

If they are still in stock it should be a fairly standard order for an LBS. I know they hate ordering tiny things like this but some don’t realise that then you’re more likely to come back for a larger purchase 🙄

stilltortoise
    Free Member

Not sure, and the wheel is with my old man at the moment to see if his LBS can help. Nope. That’s 4 shops that can’t/won’t help now.

Bez

Had the same problem, broke spokes on Shimano wheels. Shopped around and got Ambrosio Excellights, 105 hubs and DT Revs for £200. If you went for Comps and a few extra grams on the rims then you’d save a fair bit – I built an Open Sport with Comps on a 105 rear hub last week, cost under £80.

The only ‘factory’ wheels that get remotely acceptable reviews for that money are the Halo ones.

Actually, I may have a spare black spoke for the NDS of a rear Shimano RS10 if that happens to be what you’re after…

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Cheapish road wheels with "normal" spokes’ is closed to new replies.