Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • cheapest way to go single at the front ?
  • james0706
    Free Member

I have a triple chainset at the front, but want a single at the front. I mainly ride jumps and dh so I would need a chain guard for it and it to be fairly strong. Thanks

matt1986
    Free Member

The cheap was I did it was dropping to my middle ring sticking a bash on and locking my front mech until I can save for a chain guide. Hope this helps. And you can get a second hand bash for about £10

chakaping
    Free Member

Yeah, lock your front mech on the middle ring – get a cheap bash from BBG or somewhere and Superstar do a cheap BB or ISCG mounted chain device to keep chain on at bottom. Or a Blackspire Stinger if you want to spend more.

You should do it for £25ish.

sonofapitch
    Free Member

Why do you need a bash?
    The chain stays on the outer ring ok on a triple.
    Lock the mech remove outer and granny rings then shifter.
    Job done ( free )

cp

As above, don’t bother with bash. Use the low set screw adjuster to push the mech out until on position over thr middle ring. Works a treat. You’ll probably need some short chaining bolts. Mine were a fiver off eBay or Charlie the bike monger, can’t remember where they came from!

chakaping
    Free Member

I said bash ‘cos he says he rides DH and I assume that means rocks and roots, but yes it would be cheaper to just leave the outer on.

Just make sure the bike doesn’t land on top of you if so.

highclimber
    Free Member

having had a chainring in the leg i’d vote for a bash!

matt1986
    Free Member

I have a bash cause it’s rooty and rocky where I ride. It’s all personal choice to be fair and if you think you need one but you can get second hand ones so cheap it makes it worth while in my eyes

rockhopperbike

why not take the teeth of the old outer – free bash ring for a while

somouk
    Free Member

^^^^^ Don’t do that, outer chainrings bend very easily and end up bent into either your leg or your middle ring which is a sure fire way to annoy you on a long day out having to walk back to the car.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘cheapest way to go single at the front ?’ is closed to new replies.