Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Cheapest price for a Cotic Soul frame?
  • Northwind

I’ve pretty much given in and accepted I’ll be buying one of these, so, might as well get it over with 😉 Just wondered if anyone knows of anywhere I can get a better price or a discount on a Soul frame? They’re advertised at £470 everywhere…

Cheers

SteveTheBarbarian
    Free Member

Didn’t realise they’d gone up – mine was £400 last year. Maybe if one of the dealers has an old one it’d be at the old price. Dealers are listed on their site: http://www.cotic.co.uk/dealers/ (got mine from Brixton Cycles cos Cotic were out at the time).

Another thing – if you fancied one in custard, get it quick, because they’re phasing it out.

Oh yeah, I love mine to bits. My full suss is pretty much relegated to bad conditions bike(to preserve the Soul). Might sound expensive, but I’d get another in a shot if mine was nicked.

neilb67
    Free Member

I would say all dealers have to advertise at the same price. Doesn’t mean thats what they sell them for… 🙂 Make some phone calls….

BigJohn

Swinnertons, Fenton. Say Snakebite sent you.

neilb67
    Free Member

Wot BJ said. But get in there quick before Snakey beats you to one… 😈

firestarter
    Free Member

hey you two you mentioned getting decent priced cassettes from there other day how does that work :-).

neilb67
    Free Member

Looks like Craig has sold them all…

Sits back and waits for commission to arrive… 😀

rotorist
    Free Member

There is a black one sitting on the top shelf in Freedom Bikes, Brighton (not sure of the size though).

nukeproof
    Free Member

There is a black one sitting on the top shelf in Freedom Bikes, Brighton (not sure of the size though).

Did you notice if the 08 Hemlock frame has gone yet?

Christowkid
    Free Member

If you’re after a shop build, you might find that though you might not get a discount on the frame, the build will have discounts elsewhere. Not much help though if you just want a frame.
    There was a Cotic News release recently, where Cy said the cost of actually making it had gone up significantly recently, as I’m sure we’re aware of things across the board going up, so he’s had to put up the price. Apparently the first increase in a long while.
    As someone up there said, the last custard’s are now in. No idea what colour will replace it yet!
    …. and it is a lovely ride, you won’t reget it!!!!
    Q
    ( off to throw a leg over his!)

Anthony
    Free Member

18bikes offer 10% for subscribers on anything that isn’t a bike.

Not sure if a frame counts though. Doesn’t hurt to ask.

simon@18bikes
    Free Member

frame doesn’t count, sorry- we’re on with revising the wording on that. Asides anything else, there’s not the room to discount something like that.

We do offer discount across a full build- maybe worth considering. We also throw in the tap/ream/face preparation on any frame we sell, so that’s a discount in a way.

Si

rotorist
    Free Member

Did you notice if the 08 Hemlock frame has gone yet?

Didn’t spot it sorry, but I did see my Soda next to the Soul sitting patiently (unlike it’s owner) awaiting it’s components 😀

Northwind

Yeah, just looking for a frame here… Going to break my scandal up for the first build on the soul. For now at least, hoping to throw a bit more cash at it later in the year. Well, thanks guys, I guess whatever shop will actually offer a discount gets the prize… Otherwise straight to cotic.

saladdodger
    Free Member

I want a soul to ( I already have a simple and it’s fantastic) but at £470 they are a huge hit, especially when I can get a 456 for £185.

I had a inbred before the Simple and its a bloody good bike but the Simple is for some reason alot nicer and I cannot put my finger on it, the frameset must have a sprinkleing of fairy dust on it

No brainer realy

My head says 456 but my heart says Soul

HELP

Northwind

Yeah, I had the exaxt same decision… I had a go of the Soul at the glentress demo day and tbh it just felt perfect, but it’s a lot of money. So I was looking for similiar alternatives, and obviously 456 comes up. It’s a full lb heavier, if that bothers you (it bothers me, I’m still recovering from a busted leg and 6 months on crutches so light is good). And the finish isn’t as good either I reckon.

But at 130mm the geometry runs really similiar to the Soul- half a degree slacker or thereabouts, top tube for mediums is a quarter of an inch longer, and I think the chainstays are about a quarter longer too- and of course you’ve got more options too since it’ll deal with a 160mm fork if you decide you want that. It’s a tricky decision. But the Soul just felt perfect from the first moment and I don’t want to risk missing whatever that special ingredient was. After 5 minutes on it I was more comfortable on it than I am on my Scandal after about 4 months.

So, I figure screw it 😉 I’ve been looking for a used medium inbred or 456 just to try in the meantime, though. I might still do that, still kind of doing battle with the whole idea 😛

carbon337
    Free Member

im in the same situation with a soul.

Fancy a soul but at £470 i started thinking about 2nd hand orange 5 or something like that. Then I thought about Dialled PA and then spoted an Alpine – which is my fav option so far today – it will change tomorrow though.

How does a PA compare to a soul in terms of geo and weight?

To be honest I have no idea what i want. Just as long as its either british or cove/Santa Cruz. Something different from the specialized/trek/giant sheds.

ononeorange

Same here. Have been after a Simple for the same reasons for a while, but it looks like going to Cotic at full whack when they get some more in. Common sense says no, but it’s hard to resist….! Help needed here too.

RichieBoy
    Free Member

Looks like theres a bunch of us facing the same decision! really want a Soul but it seems so expensive. Genesis do an 853 frame for about £350 i have been looking at but its rancid green and the soul just seems ‘better’…..

saladdodger
    Free Member

CY are you here?????????

I am not cotic knocking but tbh I is not that flush at the mo

snakebite
    Free Member

Craig has black Souls and a Hemlock in the shop at the moment, the more you spend there, the better they look after your pockets…..

Best bet is drop craig@swinnertoncycles.co.uk a mail and see what he can do for you

dave_rudabar
    Free Member

None of you fancy an Orange p7 then? I scoped out an 853 Genesis in Taunton, but the P7 just seemed to look better to/for me…

Northwind

P7’s pretty heavy. The full builds seem like great value but I don’t see ’em as a standalone frame personally. Expensive for what it is. Can’t see any convincing reason to take one over the Inbred (MBR reviewed them last month, but they stupidly tested the inbred with a too-long fork then complained about its length, height and slackness :P)

sturmey
    Free Member

Ive just read through this thread and feel a bit smug sorry. I rang cotic on christmas eve and bought the last medium soul in black they had in and to top it all it was at the old price £410. I have ridden an inbred for the last few years and at first didn’t feel the difference but after about a month I am now convinced it is just better balanced it feels right and begs to be thrown faster and faster into corners. I love it. 😀

househusband

Anyone considered the new Kinesis Virsa as an alternative..? Tange Prestige, similar geometry to the Soul – and £350..? Admittedly the colours and graphics are an acquired taste…

takisawa2

I had my first ride on a Soul today. Ok, so its my mates old one, & it is a couple of years old; but I have to say it was every bit as good I’d hoped.

My usual ride is an older SWorks Enduro (with a brain shock). Being an old git, comfort is a key consideration & after a 2hr ride I felt fine. Compare that to the brilliant Pace 303 I had for a while that became pretty unbearable (for me) after 90 mins or so.

I’m not sure how key the use of 853 steel is on the ride quality, but my mate has replaced the Soul with a Genesis iO frame. He paid £180 from Swinnertons. He reckons the Genesis is BETTER than the Soul.
    The Genesis is made from Reynolds 520, not sure of the difference between that & 853.

Northwind

Found one for £420 incidentally, last pre-pricerise stock in a fairly local shop, going to go pick it up tomorrow. Delighted! Naturally I immediately squandered the £50 saving on a new carbon bar which I don’t need.

brant
    Free Member

The Genesis is made from Reynolds 520

Reynolds 520 is a standard chromoly tubeset made by Eco in Taiwan. It’ll use tubes from this range – http://www.eco.com.tw/en/cromoly_double.htm

Its the same tubeset as many people use on their bikes, but the difference is that you pay Reynolds $5 for a sticker on the seat tube.

“520” is Chinese SMS abbreviation for “I love you”. I’m not sure if it’s related, but it made me laugh.

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Cheapest price for a Cotic Soul frame?’ is closed to new replies.