Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Cheap Crap Far-East Light Help Needed – What Battery?
  • DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Bought a light from Spokeshirts about 18 months ago. Battery seemed to lose its charge very quickly on the first ride so it went back to Spokeshirts who confirmed it was fine and to ignore what the battery life light said on the headunit. Fine. Summer came and so it wasn’t used at all and then first proper night ride of the year at Dalby in November and the fully charged (“its fine”) battery died 30 minutes in and now the charger just flashes when trying to charge the battery – I guess its goosed.

So, I know theres various people on here who I could source a new battery from but since the light owes me £90 anyway, I’d rather not spend £50 on a battery when theres plenty of cheaper options on eBay etc.

But… I’ve no idea what sort of battery I need. The battery is a 7.4V Li-On (440mAh if that means anything). Just want to make sure I get one with the right connector for my light.

Any help massively appreciated!
    Dave

brassneck

I expect thats meant to read 4400mAh else your problem is right there!

Same as the MagicShines, connector dependant .. I can’t remember what these lights were like so you might need a photo.

I bought a replacement magicShine for about £20 if you don’t mind waiting on DealExtreme

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Ah yes, 4400!

Mailed a couple of people via eBay – this looks to have the same spec as mine. Just need to check the connector: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BIKE-LIGHT-RECHARGEABLE-BATTERY-PACK-CREE-T6-1000-LUMEN-LIGHT-/320835475224?pt=UK_SportsLeisure_Cycling_Bike_Lights&hash=item4ab348d718#ht_854wt_1265

z1ppy

You might not want to spend £50+, but I have a replacement unit from Smudge that is 4 years old (this month) & still working fine. It’s now being used with it’s third light head units!
    None of the other batteries I’ve ever bought from Lupine & Magicshine or friend Hope/Lupine batteries have lasted more than 2 years. (Mainly they don’t last much more than one!)
    I’d throughly recommend his kit.

Off-hand otherwise I managed to pick up one of the new plastic encased MS batteries for £30.. have a search about.

Gibbysrabbit
    Free Member

Ordered a replacement battery of ebay which came with an adaptor so no problems.
    One of these should sort it for you.
    Adaptor

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Cheers z1ppy – if I can’t source a new light then a Smudge light will be getting bought. Already got that lined up as plan B.

Will look at those adaptors too if I need one. Didn’t realise such a think existed!

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

I’d go back to spokeshirts if you have kept the correspondance you had with them. OK it may no longer be in warranty, but you paid a premium price buying from a UK company so I’d expect better service.

monkeychild
    Free Member

If it’s the Owlet welcome to my world 😀 I got a new battery for mine from smudge last week as a similar thing happened to mine. It’s the DX compatible 7.4v li-on thingy that you need 😀
    The build quality on smudge’s is 100% better than the crap oem one. I like the light unit so a decent battery was a no brainer for me.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

It is the Owlet – never noticed the name of it before now!

Hmm, might just get onto Smudge again then. Which battery was it you got monkeychild?

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

DOh, just re-read the post. I’m guessing the

DX compatible 7.4v li-on thingy

Cheers!

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

Replacement batteries cheap as chips from magicshine. If the connectors don’t marry up (you don’t say what model of lamp unit you have) you can always re-use the connector on the dead battery.

If the dead unit has ever got wet, you can get new boards for them for about $8. If you have the facilities to find out which cell in the battery is dead (it is probably one duff cell preventing the whole pack from being charged) I have a few spare single cells the right size you can have. Depends how electrics savvy you are.

http://www.dealextreme.com/p/4400mah-external-battery-pack-with-pouch-for-sku-29489-30864-4-18650-32756
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Protection-Circuit-Module-PCM-7-4V-LiIon-18650-2S2P-LPo-/220642512136?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item335f518d08/quote&clk_rvr_id=271656258058&afsrc=1

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Cheap Crap Far-East Light Help Needed – What Battery?’ is closed to new replies.