Viewing 40 posts - 161 through 200 (of 394 total)
  • Cheap Charge Plug 5 frames on Ebay
  • YoKaiser
    Free Member

Indeed it is! What forks have you fitted? Looks great btw.

kazafaza
    Free Member

Thanks for the kind words!

The rubbers are Spesh Crossroads 38c and the fork is off a Surly Disc Trucker.
    Will have to re-consider tyres choice and I’m already lurking at the carbon forks with more clearance.
    Also need a narrower BB as 68x113mm is still too wide(68x107mm on order) and I might need a shorter stem(110mm so I’ll try 100mm).

It seems that I’ve misplaced the gubbins to convert the lh shifter back to gears so the dropper project will have to wait.

Frankenstein
    Free Member

AndrewDeKerf – Member
    Frankenstein – I bought an XL and wouldn’t mind getting a pair of the original forks. Did the shop have these in stock? Worth me giving them a ring you think?
    Cheers.
    Andrew

Hi, I used Bristows Cycles in Peterborough, they ordered it in for me. LBS, not sure if they post? Colour and angle is spot on. Handles well.

The part number is FKCH14PLUG5BLK. The supplier actually sent me a Tange Premium instead, I’m not complaining if they sent me a better steel version lol. Around £70-77?

This bike and the parts I chose has made it lighter than my Boardman CX by a like. 8-9kg easily with a good CX wheel-set especially with roads around me.

YoKaiser
    Free Member

Still rather enjoying the plug, so much that I can’t see me riding skinnier tyres again!

Only fly in the ointment has been when wheeling the bike out the house the other day a lot of water ran out the chainstays. Not sure if it can be
    wholly be attributed to the lousy weather, it’s a lot more than I’ve noticed from any others bike. Might be worth a look and get some spray in there.

scandal42
    Free Member

me too, had a good ride on Thursday and i was actually as quick on certain sections as my old road bike

https://www.instagram.com/p/BH2dVNpjCs-/?taken-by=lako42

kazafaza
    Free Member

Thanks to YoKaiser suggestions I’ve decided to fit the CdF fork and what a great difference it made! The bike feels well balanced, not as twitchy and now I can inflate the front tyre without the risk of rubbing on the forks’ arch. Happy days!

Not sure about fitting the dropper as it would be a tad too high, perhaps I could trim the seattube? 😈

Oh, and regarding the water leak from stays – I considered drilling a small hole underneath the bb so the water can escape and not turn my frame in to a lethal pile of rust?

coomber
    Free Member

Good updates all.

Ive been out on mine again tonight. Built it up cheap but loving it.

Going to brave some bridleways soon I think.

coomber
    Free Member

Took it on a bridleway or three tonight. Great fun

YoKaiser
    Free Member

Now with mudgaurds fitted. Opted for the Radial Cycles gaurds, quite easy to fit I’d say. I modified the front with a bracket to lower the overall height and I drilled the rear gaurd to mount at the seatstay bridge. Came out quite neat I reckon.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/L1KWJm]Charge Plug with mudguards.[/url] by Bigbroondug, on Flickr

scandal42
    Free Member

That looks great Yokaiser

What kind of riding are you doing on it?

letmetalktomark

@ kazafaza **waves** what size frame did you plump for?

YoKaiser
    Free Member

It was bought as a commuter and occasional light tourer but has also usurped my road bike. Descending is a lot of fun and the big tyres take the edge off the back roads I favour. Really can’t speak highly enough of it and the Schwalbe S-Ones too.

kazafaza
    Free Member

@LMTTM: Hi, went for an XL which seems to be very similar in ETT to the old 58cm Reynolds DayOne(pre-Mjolnir ones when they changed geo).

BTW, I’ve someone who’d pay top £££ for 14′ Longitude in 20,5″ 😉

superjohn71
    Free Member

I’m thinking one of these frames might well be the next in mu build queue. Can anyone tell me what headset type the frame uses? Also, I am assuming its a standard British threaded BB?

YoKaiser
    Free Member

Straight 1 1/8 headset and yes standard threaded BB. I fitted an FSA Orbit XL II, the lower cup tapers nicely at the bottom to meet the large crown of the carbon fork should you decide to go down this route.

kazafaza
    Free Member

You’re right – standard threaded BB and the headset is a 1 1/8″ or 34mm…

Good luck with your build!

superjohn71
    Free Member

Thanks folks. Just got to decide what gear / group mix I am going to use. Don’t know if I want to go 1x or not.. Think I will just order the frame and then decide. 🙂

AndrewDeKerf
    Free Member

Here’s mine, finally.

Frankenstein got the last fork from Charge, so I ended up buying a Soma one (made by Tange). It’s Infinity and the same fork that appeared on the singlespeed Plugs, so I thought it matched the frame well. The main plus is that it comes with a mile long steerer, so unlike most forks you can get the bars up nice and high, which I like.

All the kit is from Sram, bought because i’d tried Shimano and Campag and I like experimenting. It’s OK, and looks nice, it’s just not Shimano. I don’t ever want to try to fit a new gear cable to those shifters though.

I like the bike. It’s not what I would call a supple steel frame, and the fork is too harsh for 28’s, but it’s just fun to hack around on.

I can’t figure out how to put an image up here? Links below.

https://goo.gl/photos/8Tqexunk5x1TQMgz5

https://goo.gl/photos/iy3XYtUSFsmjLdEX6

straz
    Free Member

Built one of these up myself, quite a nice ride. However I’ve read that the newer Tange Prestige isn’t *that* strong. Should I be worried at 190lbs?

Picto
    Free Member

Have aquired one of these and am wondering what is the widest tyre I can get away with based on real world feedback. Got a 32 hutchinson piranha in the back. Leaves plenty of room between the stays but the chainstay brace is tight.

bjhedley

I’m currently running 38mm Schwalbe G-ones on mine. Fits fine but its a bit ‘tight’ on the rear. No rubbing issues or mud clearance problems, but you won’t be getting any sort of mudguard on!

Thinking of upgrading my fork to a carbon version to lighten the build a bit. If anyone’s interested in an original 3 month of steel version then drop me a message.

kazafaza
    Free Member

Specialized Crossroads 38c on mine and there’s only circa 5mm clearance to the bridges. They are tall tyres though! Schwalbe Smart Sam offered more clearance.
    Side clearance is better but I wouldn’t really try anything bigger than 38c!

scandal42
    Free Member

Clement ush 35mm on mine with quite generous clearance

Frankenstein
    Free Member

My old was hit by a car (driver on another planet) and totalled the Plug.

The old man is ok but injured his neck and having physio.

Hoping the 3rd pays up soon so I can build him a new one or something similar. Shame really as it was a really nice ride and do it all without worrying about carbon cracking from a fall and rode really well.

Looking at ebay and I’m tempted to order a frame and fit a carbon fork.

coomber
    Free Member

Frankenstein hope your Dad recovers quick.

bjhedley have you any carbon forks in mind? Probably my next upgrade along with wheels as both were cheap and weigh a lot.

There are a few sellers online of exotic straight legged carbon forks. Designed for 26″ wheels but axle crown of 390 or 400mm so assume that’s what I’m after.

leop
    Free Member

So seriously thinking about going for the plug 5 too, but same question about a carbon fork for it. What are people saying?

Also size wise, 5’9 with 30 inseam, thinking about a small, but currently ride a genesis equilibrium 2010 which a 54 and fits well.

It’s been a similar decision as others trying to pick between croix de fer and the Cotic Escapade, but the plug just looks good and better on the wallet.

Dangerboy
    Free Member

Inspired by some of the beautiful builds on this thread I have decided to take the plunge; my plug frame arrived today.

Box was a bit battered but the frame looks great.

Should be able to manage most of the build with things I already have, but I do need a fork.
    Can’t decide between the carbon Kinesis DC37 and the steel Soma straight blade disc cx fork.
    Anyone tried both?
    Not sure why but I don’t like the Dawes Galaxy ones.
    Any other suggestions?
    Had hoped RC31s would fit but they look too long…
    Thx

Picto
    Free Member

Thanks for the comments re tyre size.

Not used a soma fork but used the kinesis and a steel croix de fer fork. Both rode well but the kinesis is noticably lighter. On the road comfort between the 2 was not massively different, i was using 26mm road tyres when I had the cda fork in the bike.

Have used an old pace rc31 on a cross bike a few years ago. It worked ok off road and i did a few cross races on the bike. but it rode better with shorter fork.

My Plug may be up for sale soon as foolishly entered the dirty reiver and want more clearance at the back for a wider tyre.

RustyNissanPrairie

Lynsky do a straight 1 1/8″ carbon/alu steerer fork for gravel/disc that has decent clearance.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/lynskey-endurance-disc-carbon-road-fork-2016/rp-prod89254

leop
    Free Member

[Lynsky do a straight 1 1/8″ carbon/alu steerer fork for gravel/disc that has decent clearance.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/lynskey-endurance-disc-carbon-road-fork-2016/rp-prod89254%5D

Cheers, will have a look at this.

Can’t find the Kinesis DC37 any where, been a few on ebay but missed them.

Also any advice on the sizing?

leop
    Free Member

Sorry that was meant to be quoted from RustyNissanPrairie but cant work out how to do it… 😳

coomber
    Free Member

Thanks for the links and comments gents. Hopefully a fellow forum user has a kenesis fork for me else I’ll probably go for the above.

coomber
    Free Member

RustyNissanPrairie – Member

Lynsky do a straight 1 1/8″ carbon/alu steerer fork for gravel/disc that has decent clearance.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/lynskey-endurance-disc-carbon-road-fork-2016/rp-prod89254

Thanks for the various suggestions chaps. Have some carbon kenesis forks incoming.

Then onto new wheels in the summer for a bit more weight saving.

YoKaiser
    Free Member

Leop, I think I’ve mentioned fit on one of my posts and a carbon fork. I’m 5’10 btw. I picked up a large as I wanted to have a more road bike fit rather than cx. Going large gave me a longer headtube, more frame and the top tube wasn’t any bigger than on a road bike I’d ride.

coomber
    Free Member

Leop

Im 6″ 2″ and find the xl a great fit. Much better fit then my 58cm cannondale synapse road bike.

Dangerboy
    Free Member

Steerer on the RC31 too short, so managed to snag a pair of DC37s from Velo29 (online) today. Spoke with them first, seemed good. May have been the last pair they had in stock, but were happy to try to get more in. Mine were £115, which seemed reasonable.
    Thanks for the advice folks.
    Looking forward to getting building!

superjohn71
    Free Member

What is the biggest tyre people have managed to use on the back ~ anyone got a needle type treaded 40c to fit? Mines going to be used as a dry and dusty type of bike rather than thick mud, so was hoping that 40c would be OK as mud clearance wont be an issue, but am starting to think that 38c might be my max. Any thoughts?

leop
    Free Member

managed to snag a pair of DC37s from Velo29 (online) today. Spoke with them first, seemed good. May have been the last pair they had in stock, but were happy to try to get more in. Mine were £115, which seemed reasonable.

Ah good to know, still showing in stock, will bell them tomorrow.

Reckon I’d go for a medium.

Hesitating for some reason, can’t think of a reason not to pick one of these up over the croix de fer or escapade or something similar. Seems like a no brainer?

rp16v
    Free Member

Same seller had a charge grater ss cx frame up for sale in my size so i jumped on that and swaped parts from my langster
    The plug and grater are same geo i used a kona 700c p2 fork and it handles lovley chuck on some 38c gravel tyres and its a fun commuter that can play around the trails aswell

eviljoe
    Free Member

My Plug may be up for sale soon

@Picto – what size is it please? I’m after an xs for the OH, love my plug (a t shirt slogan if ever I saw one…) and she needs a commuter/ tourer for the spring

Viewing 40 posts - 161 through 200 (of 394 total)

The topic ‘Cheap Charge Plug 5 frames on Ebay’ is closed to new replies.